The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Nibs For The Twsbi Eco

twsbi eco nibs change switch size alternative remove

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 16:52

My first TWSBI is supposedly on its way and in anticipation am already thinking of playing around with nibs. The question is, which nibs will fit the ECO?

The other TWSBI nibs might fit? Also, what size non-TWSBI nibs will fit? How does one remove the ECO nib: screw off, pull off, or knock out?

And if you've switched in some other nib, feel free to post your results.

Edited by spaceink, 17 July 2015 - 16:54.

Sponsored Content

#2 PortiaDaCosta

PortiaDaCosta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2015 - 18:33

At The Writing Desk it says...

"This model uses the same nib as the Diamond mini and Classic ranges but nib assemblies for these models are not compatible with the Eco."

http://thewritingdes...o&cat=pens#text

PORTIA DA COSTA
writing erotica and erotic romance since 1991/

born again fountain pen addict
http://www.portiadacosta.com

#3 dooooooor

dooooooor

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2015 - 23:33

I got mine in today and the nib comes out quite easily, it didn't take a lot of force at all. I put in a #5 nib from Italix, and it was simple to put in. I think I like this design a bit more because although it is less convenient to switch the nibs, it's all one piece and the section should be more stable.

#4 jordanjay29

jordanjay29

Certified Accumuluser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:26

I got mine in today and the nib comes out quite easily, it didn't take a lot of force at all. I put in a #5 nib from Italix, and it was simple to put in. I think I like this design a bit more because although it is less convenient to switch the nibs, it's all one piece and the section should be more stable.

With the Eco nib pulled out, do you mind taking a measurement of the nib base width? You say a #5 nib fit, but I'm curious what the actual TWSBI nib measures.

#5 dooooooor

dooooooor

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:46

With the Eco nib pulled out, do you mind taking a measurement of the nib base width? You say a #5 nib fit, but I'm curious what the actual TWSBI nib measures.

Alright, I'm using a normal ruler and I get 5mm.

#6 jordanjay29

jordanjay29

Certified Accumuluser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:31

Awesome, thanks.

#7 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:01

Hopefully sometime soon, I will order a #5 flex nib from FPR to try with the ECO.

#8 PortiaDaCosta

PortiaDaCosta

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:32

Thanks for the tip about Italix #5 nibs in the Eco. This opens up a world of possibilities! :)

PORTIA DA COSTA
writing erotica and erotic romance since 1991/

born again fountain pen addict
http://www.portiadacosta.com

#9 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:02

The #5.5 nibs from FPR are a good fit for the 580, while their #5s are ok but a touch short. I imagine they'd fit pretty well in a Mini or Eco or Classic (which all use the same smaller nib), but haven't tried it - the last time I attempted to disassemble my Mini's nib assembly, I bent a few fins...

#10 Feanaaro

Feanaaro

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:38

The #5.5 nibs from FPR are a good fit for the 580, while their #5s are ok but a touch short. I imagine they'd fit pretty well in a Mini or Eco or Classic (which all use the same smaller nib), but haven't tried it - the last time I attempted to disassemble my Mini's nib assembly, I bent a few fins...

I think that the Classic, and by extension Mini and Eco, nib is much closer to the FPR 5.5 than to the 5. The main difference between the 580's nib and these other pens' seems to be the width of the shoulders, not the length itself.

#11 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 14:09

They are so inexpensive that I wil likely get a few and perhaps modify one to be even more flexy.

#12 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 14:14

I think that the Classic, and by extension Mini and Eco, nib is much closer to the FPR 5.5 than to the 5. The main difference between the 580's nib and these other pens' seems to be the width of the shoulders, not the length itself.

Yep, I think you're right.  A quick comparison of the FPR #5 and #5.5 to a spare (damaged) 580 nib looked like this:

yT6cNiV.jpg

There's less of a difference in length between the nibs than I remembered - but the #5 is definitely a *little* bit shorter.

The 'wingspan' of the two FPR nibs was very similar (roughly 7mm), compared with 8mm for the TWSBI Diamond 580 nib; the Mini / Classic / Eco nib is closer to 6mm.  You *can* fit a 580 nib inside the cap of a Mini, though - so I can't imagine the 7mm wingspan of the FPR nibs being a problem.  

Still not game to try and swap out my Diamond Mini nib - they're jammed in pretty tight - but I'm fairly confident the #5.5 (or a #, though they're not as pretty!) will be a good fit.  

#13 fasthall

fasthall

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 16:58

I noticed the feed of TWSBI's pen is rather weak. I have bent my 580's fins, too. Didn't have this experience when changing other brand's pen's nib.

#14 speedy

speedy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:43

About the nib swapping, just as reminder, we use different feeders to control the ink flow of stub 1.1 vs others B,M,F,EF. 

Stub 1.1 feeder got slightly heavier ink flow, so please don't mix up these two type of feeders. Cannot tell from the look outside, but you should be able to see the different in writing.

Cheers

speedy

For latest update pls join our facebook facebook badge

If any product related issue, pls send email to twsbiinc@gmail.com

#15 beanbag

beanbag

Sailor Shigure

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:31

So is it possible to buy just the nibs individually (and feed) from TWSBI?

#16 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 14:13

Thanks for the heads-up on the feeds. Someone on the FB group for FPN just posted about putting a 5.5 FPR flex nib on their ECO. Planning to do the same, possibly getting another 1.1 stub ECO for that purpose, taking advantage of the feed's heavier flow.

Edited by spaceink, 24 July 2015 - 14:13.

#17 jordanjay29

jordanjay29

Certified Accumuluser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2015 - 17:40

So is it possible to buy just the nibs individually (and feed) from TWSBI?

You could just buy a Mini nib unit, but they cost $20. For another $9 you could have a whole pen.

Edited by jordanjay29, 24 July 2015 - 17:41.

#18 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 00:12

Or you could experiment with #5 (or #5.5) nibs from other manufacturers that come in cheaper - I can personally recommend Fountain Pen Revolution nibs that cost $3 for EF, F, M, or $7 for B, Flex or 1.0mm stub nibs, plus $3 shipping. Others may have positive experience with other brands,too,though...

#19 J_MM

J_MM

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:11

On a related note I find the ECO 1.1 down stroke much thinner than the 1.1 on my 580. I guess all 1.1 stubs are not equal.

#20 jordanjay29

jordanjay29

Certified Accumuluser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:58

On a related note I find the ECO 1.1 down stroke much thinner than the 1.1 on my 580. I guess all 1.1 stubs are not equal.

I have found the same variation in line width between the Mini (same nib as Eco) and 580 lines. I think the nibs are just a half size smaller, even though they have the same base width (5mm/#5).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, eco, nibs, change, switch, size, alternative, remove

Sponsored Content

|