Montblanc Boutique At Munich Airport

StrawberryJam

Has anyone been to the montblanc boutique at the Munich Airport? I'm flying there soon, but my husband insists that we cannot get to the store as it's behind security, and we're landing in Munich, as opposed to departing from it.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrawberryJam

• AndyYNWA

• torstar

• Alex2014

There are 2 Mb shops, on terminal 2 (departures), both of them behind security check.

http://www.munich-airport.de/en/consumer/shops/a-z/M/index.jsp

Yeah, I guess my question is, can I get to the store (located in departures) if I am arriving through arrivals (and will have to go through customs). Husband insists I can't, because we won't have a boarding pass to go through security to get to the store, but I'd like to know if there's a way around that. (We're not flying through Munich on the way home, sadly).

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

I cannot imagine airport shops have anything in the way of bargains, other than VAT not being collected up front, but you should be able to recoup VAT if you buy in the city and later take the goods out of the EU. I did that on my frequent trips to the UK. Shops catering to tourists often provide VAT refund forms which are presented at the Inland Revenue counter after passing through immigration control.

Email the Munich boutique and ask if they assist in VAT refunds. But don't forget to compare pre-sales tax prices in the USA with pre-VAT prices in Germany. The retail price of the pen you want may actually be less back home.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Airport stores put a "carrying charge" increase of 250% over usual market values, right?

Mind you, the cost of an item wanted has no effect at all except on the person who earned the money, or so I've been told by a lot of doctors.

Edited by torstar

Airport stores put a "carrying charge" increase of 250% over usual market values, right?

Mind you, the cost of an item wanted has no effect at all except on the person who earned the money, or so I've been told by a lot of doctors.

The only MB airport boutique I have been to is the one at O'Hare, and their prices were consistently cheaper than my local MB store. Something about how they are a franchise or not owned by the mothership? No idea if the Munich one is mothership-owned. But we're in Germany. So maybe.

Current Wishlist:

The US is always different, for excellent, good, semi-bad, and evil than anywhere else you go in the world.

Usually, in Europe, the airport price of MB's is -10% of the standard price and is tax-free.

• 5 months later...

Very likely. I have purchased ink at the MB boutique in the Düsseldorf airport. It seems that these airport boutiques cater to bored impulse shoppers with some time on their hands.

Edited by meiers

Crossing my fingers that I will have some time in Munich before my connection flight and that they have some LE inks on stock.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I know that one of the MB Boutiques at the Munich Flughafen is behind the security screen. There were no deals in 2014 or 2015. Pre 2001, there was an MB boutique in the "unsecure" part of Frankfurt Flughafen, but those were the days of decent exchange rates and tax free coupons for US Military guys. They loved to see me walk in.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Actually some of the counters do have bargains when they need to clear stock. I was at an airport in Latin America and they had quite a few models on a good discount to make way for the newer models coming in. But they were not the regular Meisterstuck models. Also depending on the location of the counter, the price can be good depending how much of sales tax they are helping you save.

The other reason why I usually don't buy from airport counters is that they only have Medium nibs. I just detest buying a new pen, and then have to send the pen away for 2-4 weeks for nib replacement.

No ink at the MB shop that is connected with Bvlgari. I really thought they would have quite a few inks to choose from.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

If you want a deal, try Costco. I noticed that my local Costco has a few Montblanc pens in the jeweler's case. Haven't compared prices with the "local" retail store, though.

Just flew back to Canada from Honolulu yesterday. I got a Tribute to the Montbanc ballpoint for 50% off and of course no taxes. For that price I had to have it.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

• 3 weeks later...

I was only one airport Montblanc shop in Riga, the price was the considerably cheaper than boutiques in the city as well other cities MB stores. Sadly my MB stores in Frankfurt am Main is out the usual zones I move through, so I can't say about that. I was twice in Munich airport, but I had very little time between my flights to check it up.