Man 100 With Poorly Closing Cap

gregamckinney

Searched for this topic, but didn't see anything.

I recently acquired a couple well-used Man100 series pens, an Opera and an Olive wood model.

The wood model closes very poorly, very insecurely. Is there anything that can be done (even if just a hack) to create a more secure closure?

Thanks, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregamckinney

• lunarfp

• encremental

• Bunny_Police

Hey Greg,

I'm not pro with these things yet but I'm slowly getting there. I have one of these pens in black myself.

One time when I took it apart I put the Rings at the bottom of the section on the wrong way around. This gave me the same sort of problem.

Everything unscrews quite nicely, so you could perhaps do that and try a few combinations of rearranging and turning the two rings that sit together.

Hope that helps :)

Do let me know if this works

post-79206-0-69792700-1437080308_thumb.jpg

Thanks, @Bunny_Police, I'll have to give that a try once I'm ready to take the nib/ feed section apart to fully clean it. The former owner put the pen away inked (what a mess.)

Thanks, @lunarfp. Do you know where to obtain a replacement inner cap?

Regards, greg

I suggest you contact Damien (dboulonnais). Last I've heard, he had few available.

Please let me know how it goes.

I suggest you contact Damien (dboulonnais). Last I've heard, he had few available.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks. Will do.

My most recently purchased Opera has a somewhat rickety cap.

I just put a ring of 3M Magic tape around the inside, and it now behaves as one would wish. Purely a cosmetic fix, but it's cheap and it works.

John

I hate rattles in cars even more than pens. Cars I try to fix with bits of sponge poked into place with a screwdriver, pens it's usually magic tape - or a spot of blu-tac inside a cap if the converter is playing up.

My most recently purchased Opera has a somewhat rickety cap.

I just put a ring of 3M Magic tape around the inside, and it now behaves as one would wish. Purely a cosmetic fix, but it's cheap and it works.

John

I hate rattles in cars even more than pens. Cars I try to fix with bits of sponge poked into place with a screwdriver, pens it's usually magic tape - or a spot of blu-tac inside a cap if the converter is playing up.

John, do you just put the tape where the metal ring (between the gripping section and the nib) meets the inner cap?

Thanks, greg

Yes, I think so.

What I do is to put a loop of tape sticky side out round my little finger and then push this gently into the end of the cap, smoothing it out flat to the metal as I go. It might take a couple of tries, but it's quite easy. With any luck this then makes the cap tight enough so that it will close without any rattles.

John

Thanks encremental,

If I can't source an inner cap, I will try your tape solution.

Best Regards, greg

• 1 month later...

Sorry I didn't report back. Too busy doing the happy dance, I guess. :)

I was able to acquire a NOS inner cap and swap it in. Turned out that the old/ original inner cap had a huge crack in it, preventing the section from getting a grip.

Once I got the cap reassembled, the pen worked flawlessly. I've had it in my rotation, happily using Penman Ruby, ever since.

Thanks for reminding me to report the results.

Best Regards, greg

Wonderful! Glad to hear that it worked out.

Be sure to try and avoid posting the cap as much as possible. These inner caps are quite fragile.

Penman Ruby, you say? Very nice... Have fun with it.

This is a common problem with man 100 and 200 pens.

I have a man 200 in my rotation and it has a cracked inner cap too.

I took out the inner cap and put some tape around it. Then I assembled the cap again and I already use it for some years now. It is still holding very good.

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com