• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Out0Mind

• Pravda

• StrawberryJam

I was a amazed by the blue hour when i saw it, it is a must have i would really recommend going to see it as i think pictures do not do it justice, i think it is in a league of its own.

• 7 months later...

I was in a boutique yesterday (to try out the Heritage Rouge et Noir and the 1912. Unfortunately they didn't have the 1912 FP, only the rollerball) While there, I was able to try the Blue Hour LeGrand which was stunningly beautiful, much more subtle than the online photos make it appear, and beautifully balanced unposted. I really loved it.

Now I'm torn between the 1912 FP, which I haven't been able to see or hold and the Blue Hour LeGrand, which feels and looks great. The aesthetics of the two pens are completely different of course. But aesthetics aside, the balance of a pen is so important, especially a heavy pen. For those who have the 1912, how does it feel in your hand? is it back heavy? Or is the weight more balanced?

Previously, I was saving my nickels and dimes to get a heritage 1912 with an F nib. Now that the blue hour 146 has come out though, I'm totally torn. I can only purchase one of them this year. (See here for why - there simply aren't enough days in the year left to save up for both!)

I know the 1912 is discontinued, so what's out there in the world for purchase is the last of the stock available. I haven't come across anyone who has said they regretted purchasing their 1912, but I do understand that posting the cap will cause the resin to scratch. I'm drawn to this pen for its simplistic design and the retractable nib, even though the nib itself doesn't look particularly remarkable compared to MBs other offerings.

As for the Blue Hour 146, I know that it is based on the standard 146. I'm drawn to the pen because of the awesome nib cross-hatching, and the blue carbon-esque finish. I know this pen is also limited edition, but I don't know how long MB will keep making them (and whether they'll still be available for purchase next year, etc.)

Which do I get? Heeeeelp!!

Again my vote is for the 1912. The nib IS in fact remarkable. I didn't think much of it in first, but then started thinking that it is gorgeous. It is one of those subtle things that dawn on you later. Made me go for its bigger brother the 1914.

The BH you get tired of it easily.

Again my vote is for the 1912. The nib IS in fact remarkable. I didn't think much of it in first, but then started thinking that it is gorgeous. It is one of those subtle things that dawn on you later. Made me go for its bigger brother the 1914.

The BH you get tired of it easily.

Thanks Pravda. What I'm afraid of is this. Some pens just hit you with their full glory all at once. Others slowly work their magic and become long term favorites. I'm looking for the second, slower experience in my next pen.

The Blue Hour is absolutely beautiful, for sure, but the Heritage 1912 is in a class of its own. I owned both and wrote with the Blue Hour for a few weeks. Once I received the Heritage, it went into my pocket and hasn't left. I Blue Hour has been sitting in a pen case uninked next to a Tribute for months. It's beautiful, but aside from the weight and pattern, is too similar to any other 146 to me.

The only other Montblanc pen that's been in my regular rotation is the Heritage 1906 (Rouge et Noir). The nibs are similar (I think the only difference is the 1906 has the snake engraved on the top), and it's truly a staggering writing experience.

I'll be blunt; I loved the 1912 so much, I bought a second one as well as the 1914 Limited Edition.

The Blue Hour is absolutely beautiful, for sure, but the Heritage 1912 is in a class of its own. I owned both and wrote with the Blue Hour for a few weeks. Once I received the Heritage, it went into my pocket and hasn't left. I Blue Hour has been sitting in a pen case uninked next to a Tribute for months. It's beautiful, but aside from the weight and pattern, is too similar to any other 146 to me.

The only other Montblanc pen that's been in my regular rotation is the Heritage 1906 (Rouge et Noir). The nibs are similar (I think the only difference is the 1906 has the snake engraved on the top), and it's truly a staggering writing experience.

I'll be blunt; I loved the 1912 so much, I bought a second one as well as the 1914 Limited Edition.

Thats what I said (read above) :)

Thats what I said (read above) :)

Haha, amazing. Did you go for the 888 or 333?

My understanding of the Blue Hour was that they were going to continue production, but only in limited amounts per year. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? If that's the case, it's neither Limited nor Special Edition, just with a controlled yearly production similar to the standard Black 1906.

Edited by Out0Mind

The 1912 was an amazing pen. But it has the ink capacity of a gnat's bladder. Was, as in I don't own it any more. It wasn't amazing enough to keep.

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

• 9 months later...

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I have been giving the 1912 some thought and read this with interest (along with a number of other reviews).

It seems from the above that back in 2015 a number of forum members believed this pen was limited edition and was nearly sold out. The pen still seems to be available on the MB website now in 2017 - http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/collection/limited-editions/heritage/109049-montblanc-heritage-collection-1912-fountain-pen.html

What’s happened? Has it become a permanent member of the MB collection?

Didn't know it was a special edition, only thought the titanium one is the only limited and special edition.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

I've never handled a blue hour but I can attest to the 1912, it's been on and off my daily writer for a while. The nib is amazing, not as much flex as some vintage MBs, but far better than any of the modern nibs I've used. For those that also own a 1914, is the nib just as soft?

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I have been giving the 1912 some thought and read this with interest (along with a number of other reviews).

It seems from the above that back in 2015 a number of forum members believed this pen was limited edition and was nearly sold out. The pen still seems to be available on the MB website now in 2017 - http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/collection/limited-editions/heritage/109049-montblanc-heritage-collection-1912-fountain-pen.html

What’s happened? Has it become a permanent member of the MB collection?

From what I understand MB is currently selling what is in stock and once the stock is over it will be the end of it.

I currently have one on hold at my local MB boutique which I will collect by the end of the week.

I've never handled a blue hour but I can attest to the 1912, it's been on and off my daily writer for a while. The nib is amazing, not as much flex as some vintage MBs, but far better than any of the modern nibs I've used. For those that also own a 1914, is the nib just as soft?

I do not own a 2014, but in extensive testing of two separate pens, the nib was not as soft as the 1912. Not particularly close I thought.

I hope owners will chime in too as they will have more writing time with their nibs.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

From what I understand MB is currently selling what is in stock and once the stock is over it will be the end of it.

I currently have one on hold at my local MB boutique which I will collect by the end of the week.

Interesting. I'm not saying that stock isn't limited, but it can't be as limited as people were making out back in 2015, some eighteen months ago.