How Long Is Ink Supposed To Last In The Cartridge?

oneopentrail

Quite a long topic with a lot of questions.

I've had some Parker long cartridges for bout 5 years which have not been used and was a little surprised that the blue on was half full and the blacks ranged from 70 - 80% full with the reserve being full. Another blue was only 30% full.

I nearly rushed to the computer to buy a converter and bottled ink, but wondered if the same would happen?

The cartridges did have a small stint (1 day) in the car over the summer, but for the most part were kept in a low temp draw.

How long is the ink in cartridges supposed to stay in the cartridge?

I then thought that buying a bottle of ink might be cheaper and maybe the ink might stay in the pot for longer?

I don't own a converter for any of my parker fountain pens.

20 quink black cartridges ml? = £6.12

1x cartridge = 31p

3x cartidges = 93p

Total to ink 3 pens = 93p

1 parker converter = £3.74

3 parker converters = £11.22

1 Bottle of quink black ink 57ml = £4.49

Total to ink 1 pen = £8.23

Total to ink 3 pens = £15.71

These numbers are using amazon UK prices.

Would I save money in the long term using converters as the initial cost seems a little steep?

Are there better / cheaper converters than the parker ones for parker pens?

If I do save money using bottled ink then how many cartridges using the provided numbers would I need to use?

Finally putting money saving to the side a little I would like to use some different colored bottled ink as the small cartridges are really overpriced.

Purple? Ideally darker rather than pastel bright

Red? Ideally Burgundy / plum / dark red.

Cheers for your ideas, etc.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oneopentrail

• Randal6393

• bob_hayden

• chromantic

I still have Parker Penman Ruby cartridges from the 90's of which some fluid has evaporated. When I use them I just add a little water, shake the cartridge and all is well. The pigment is still there, it's just the water that has gone.

I never had any problems with those cartrigdges, I use them in my P25.

Ink in abottle is of course far more cheaper. In the case of Parker Penman, about 5 times where I live. If you write a lot I would surely consider buying a converter for it's worth every penny.

regards, Hugo

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

apart from being cheaper a converter opens up a whole new world of colors.

as far as i know, most cartridges just have a simple color: either blue or black. With a converter you can try out an infinite amount of inks. I also read that when you fill your pen using a converter, you're flushing particles out of the ink channel as well.

for me there's nothing but advantages in using a converter.

Edited by Totl

Fountain pen ink cartridges are plastic, and waterproof. However, they are not vaporproof. There will be evaporation. Don't buy more than you can use in two years. Handled carefully, Parker cartridges can be refilled a dozen times with bottle ink, using a syringe. I used and refilled cartridges throughout college, with my Parker 45.

The Quink cartridge holds about 1.2 ml. I suspect that you don't need a converter for a while.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I keep finding old Sheaffer cartridges. After quite a few years they are only half full.

Yes, the Parker converter is a bit pricey. But, since the Parker pens use a proprietary converter, most other converters won't work with it. There is no reason not to use and reuse cartridges until you are flush enough to afford a converter. I love experimenting with other inks, have used many converters and cartridges in many brands of pens. Really enjoy the freedom to switch my inks. And love the low cost of my inks. Steep initial outlay, use for many years.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Thanks guys.

Never thought about re-using the cartridges. I think I'm sold on the converter. Simply trying not to end up buying a bunch of stuff I'll never use.

Trying to resist the urge to buy more fpens. What is that.

Seen some purple and red ink that looks nice

I'm really trying to get back into writing. I had a 3 year break where I forgot about my fpens.

Edited by oneopentrail

• 1 year later...

Old Made in USA Sheaffer cartridges are what I still normally use in my Sheaffer pens (which is my default brand). Production of these ceased in the 1990s. I do not add water and I do not have any trouble with them. I DO clean my pens often;-) I would be more careful with Penman inks as those tend to clog pens even when new.

There are a number of Chinese fountain pens that come with converters that will fit Parker pens. A cheap option right now is the Yiren 566 which sells for under $2 in the US of A via eBay. It's a good pen, too! I can't guarantee its converter will fit every Parker. (Just tried a couple. OK in Beta but not in an old Vector.)

Edited by bob_hayden

You can get the little push-pull slide converters for Parkers on ebay; one seller offers a 3-pack for $6.40 + $4 s/h. I prefer this type to the screw-type both for filling (can do one-handed) and flushing (faster, with more force). Doesn't hold a tremendous amount of ink, so usefulness can vary dependent on your needs. Syringe-filling Parker cartridges works great when refilling with same color but clearing the original/current ink to change to a new color is a real pain because of the little reservoir.

**this was in response to randal6393, post #6

Edited by chromantic

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.