• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• gweimer1

• pajaro

• T1Love

The pen certainly looks plum. It looks NOS, but I don't like the nib protruding so far out of the hood.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If you got it, would you ink it, or put it under glass? Just curious what everybody would do. Plum is my favorite '51' color, and would be even if it was the most common color. If I ever got a NOS Plum, I would wait for a little while, open some nice wine and pretend that I just came from the Parker dealer with my new pen, although I wasn't even born when they were available and my parents were children then LOL! :)

What would you do?

Octatonic

I buy a lot of pens from Brad. On my watch list, but as someone who watches his listings each week, it will go for about what everyone expects.

p.s. - there's a matching pencil also listed.

Edited by gweimer1

Yeah, I've put it on a watch, but only to see what happens. It'll get out of my reach real soon.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

I wouldn't be willing to pay more than $60 for a 51 whatever color it might have and howsoever good condition it might be in. Largely , because these are sold here for around $40. And , color , in 51s , means nothing in this part of the world.

Khan M. Ilyas

If you got it, would you ink it, or put it under glass? Just curious what everybody would do. Plum is my favorite '51' color, and would be even if it was the most common color. If I ever got a NOS Plum, I would wait for a little while, open some nice wine and pretend that I just came from the Parker dealer with my new pen, although I wasn't even born when they were available and my parents were children then LOL! :)

What would you do?

I would probably sell it :)

I got lucky a couple of years ago when I found three NOS 51s in an antique shop. They were stickered with the original boxes and instructions. All three had GF caps and one was a forest green with a broad nib. I REALLY wanted to write with the broad nibbled 51 since I had never used one before, but I knew they were more valuable in un-inked condition. I think I paid about $40 a piece for them and I sold them for close to $300 a piece. I suspect that is about what this one will fetch. Honestly, I would have felt guilty inking them, but I have no idea what the buyers intended to do with them (ink or put them in a case).

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I had already told Octatonic that I thought it'd go around $300.

I'm curious if the cap will hold it there or if the NOS will push it to $350+

I also told Octatonic that we Both should send ALL of our even slightly deserving Lustraloy caps to El Zorno to be refinished while we still can. Sooner or later I suspect he'll retire or spool down his repairs.

With every passing day, Primo Lustraloy is harder to find.

As the Anti-C-Worder, I don't usually buy stickered pens. They give me the heebie jeebies.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

I'd like to get the pencil.

I've had several never inked 51s I bought on ebay or at garage sales years ago, and I have inked or sold almost all. The reason why I bought them was that I thought my first 51 would break or unravel like all the cheaper pens I had had. It never did, and so all the "just in case" spares were never needed. I still have a stickered demi set in teal. I'm saving it for someone.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I will stay with the gold capped plum pen pencil set I have. Fortunately I got it long before the collecting craze hit, and prices were much more reasonable.

Regards

Jeff

Are the Plum 51s still rare?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hmm, this one looks more like a plum to my inexperienced eye. The one in the OP though does not. In the last image, where it is laid alongside a burgundy 51, I think what we are seeing is a variant of the same colour. In fact, I have a burgundy right here that looks exactly that colour. Not plum in my opinion.

Hmm, this one looks more like a plum to my inexperienced eye. The one in the OP though does not. In the last image, where it is laid alongside a burgundy 51, I think what we are seeing is a variant of the same colour. In fact, I have a burgundy right here that looks exactly that colour. Not plum in my opinion.

To me the two pens in the last picture look like burgundy and blood red (bloody Brit burgundy).

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

For anyone unfamiliar with that seller, it's Daly's Pen Shop in Milwaukee, and I believe they are the oldest pen shop in the country now. He's always helpful, and I suppose you could always ask the question. They handle pens and estate collections in the hundreds, so he's a knowledgeable seller.