The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Yet Another "help Me Choose A Pen" Topic

visconti omas danitrio paragon

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marino

Marino

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:54

Friends,

The moment might have arrived for me to make another purchase. As a birthday gift to myself I'm thinking of something special.

Possible options are Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal Swirls, OMAS Paragon Arco Bronze/Brown, Danitrio Mikado. I had also considered the amazing Conway Stewart Churchill, but those are very hard to come by these days and they are not piston fillers.

As you probably guessed, I like big pens, with a a hefty section. The winner will become my daily writer, replacing my Montegrappa Emblema in red celluloid. It's very beautiful but the nib is too small and the section too thin. ( a great pen though). Oh yes, I also like large nibs.

Open to suggestions.

Edited by Marino, 14 July 2015 - 04:18.

Sponsored Content

#2 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:29

You have a significant pen budget there. Where are you located? I see you fly the Canadian Flag. I always recommend a trip to a pen store. You would have to go to a high-end store with that kind of budget. 

I really like Omas. They are beautiful pens with great nibs. My Danitrio is huge, but it has never written well. I don't know if they make piston fillers. I've never cared much for Visconti. I have a Homo sapiens that doesn't write well. 

Have you looked at the pen measurements page on nibs.com. It is helpful if you know the size of a pen you already like.

http://www.nibs.com/pen_measures/ 

I hope this helps. Let us know what you get. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#3 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:01

Any of the pens you mention can be great pens and writers....

You should go for the pen that catches your fancy.....not ours.....

Either buy from a store if you have one available or buy from a good dealer like nibs.com that will have the great John Mottishaw check out/adjust and/or grind nib before shipping it.....

Another option is from someone like Bry at chatterlyluxuries.com and either he can check out pen or you can have him send to the great nibmeister Michael Masuyama to tune and/or grind for you....

Variety of good options....

Hope this helps.

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

* Please check out my current listings *

#4 Marino

Marino

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:49

Thanks guys.

Of course I'll decide whatever I like best - it's just that different opinions are useful in entertaining ideas and perspectives.

#5 katanankes

katanankes

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:01

If you the Omas way, you might consider some "vintage" models in celluloid. I do not mean real vintage pens, just one of the many celebration editions issued in the past few years. Saffron and burkina for example. I am personally not excited by the arco pattern. 

If you like big nibs and hefty sections, you might also consider the Dolcevita Oversize. Very chunky.

#6 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:27

A couple more to add to the search list might be the Montegrappa Extra 1930 and a Ferrari da Varese Bottecelli.

large.jpg

large.jpg

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti, omas, danitrio, paragon

Sponsored Content

|