Inks With The Traveling Pen

amberleadavis

Yay! Apache Sunset.... Chewy great photography of the pen and the demonstration!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luma

• amberleadavis

• tmenyc

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19912596618_6ed2167c37_z.jpg

And yeah, I absolutely did use Apache Sunset first!

--

I did some other pages, which I'll photograph and upload tomorrow. :)

Whoa right back at you, chewytulip, that is amazing work and photos too!

I can't wait to see some more of that from you. How the bubble of ink stays inside between the "tines" is something I would really like to see, please, and thank you. ;)

WOW CT!!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Wow again! Great pictures and impressive skill with the pen! :notworthy1:

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Aww, thanks everybody!

Today, while I was mulling over the recently suggested notion that the pen might have been bent out of shape, I noticed this...

20136568091_0732aa44f1_z.jpg

One side curves up, and one side curves down... just slightly.

20136567701_11678b97df_z.jpg

It seems to curve down towards the page, so maybe it is intentional? I think if the tines were exactly even, you'd need to hold it pretty much vertically, and that would be harder to control. On the other hand, Chinese calligraphy with a brush is supposed to be done with the brush held vertically.

(But bristles are much more flexible than metal...this is the kind of mental argument that will keep me awake at night, lol!)

Better you than me! Hopefully you will figure it out soon ;D

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

20131013955_7d8bc29b8b_z.jpg

I tried out some ink samples that have been sitting around. This pen is ACE for a quick swab! It reaches right down to the bottom of an ink sample vial.

19510036003_694fd38f50_z.jpg

Iroshizuku Kosumosu

20136548921_1d4e437648_z.jpg

Iroshizuku Shin-ryoku

19942935498_e23409578a_z.jpg

Noodler's Apache Sunset

19943007020_106e586145_z.jpg

19508380694_d28fc11007_z.jpg

19944341449_3c47abe0b6_z.jpg

J Herbin inks

20122990562_843e3c58d1_z.jpg

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses (I actually did this sheet right after the Apache Sunset sheet yesterday!)

19943014550_da28f85f93_z.jpg

Noodler's Navajo Turquoise

20104742946_18bccae0a5_z.jpg

Then I decided to compare one ink across the three pens with the most similarity. J Herbin Rouge Caroubier was loaded in my Pilot Parallel, so that's the ink I used to compare the three. The Parallel lays down the lightest color line (the least ink), my folded nib seems to be easiest to control for more "organic" line variation, and the traveling pen lays down more ink and the line variation is very intentional. The traveling pen also seems to "like" straight lines better than curves.

19943010460_80be403766_z.jpg

And this is how the inks sits in the pen, right at the edge, behind the tiny space between the tines.

It's Iroshizuku Kosumosu, in case you were wondering. :)

chewytulip, that's absolutely a feast for the eyes!! :wub:

I love what you are doing with it.

I pick one thread to read through before I go to sleep each night. This one is interesting and the time and effort put into learning this pens history and secrets deserves a round of applause. *claps loudly*

That last photo of the closeup with the ink between the tines is made all the more wonderful by that tiny little speck of reflective light on the ink.

Chewy,

That is really impressive!

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

20182568026_5aa0d2fec5_z.jpg

a few more inks from Noodler's

19587865443_44014f00af_z.jpg

A few inks from Diamine.

20208835565_9e42a0deca_z.jpg

These are five ink mixes sent to me by another FPN member. I have no idea what's in them, but they look nice!

Amazing!

I have seen something like this in a "traditional" shop when I was in Shanghai earlier this year. It did not have two tines, though, just one curved tine. I had no idea what it did. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to "play" with.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

What paper are you using for all these lovely inks?

Good question - Rhodia! Except the one photo of the inside of a notebook, that was Tomoe River. Very crinkly when wet. :)

20119542419_4de18b5d91_z.jpg

The pen has officially embarked on its journey to LuMA!

This last photo was hiding on my camera.

I enjoy making a mess, so I tried some splattering on my drawn pattern.

Done with the ink inside unlabeled sample vials that are hanging around. I think the green is Noodler's Gruene, but I'm not positive.

Amazing!

I have seen something like this in a "traditional" shop when I was in Shanghai earlier this year. It did not have two tines, though, just one curved tine. I had no idea what it did. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to "play" with.

I knew that eventually someone would be able to positively link the Traveling Pen to China...

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Came home to find the 'Magic Pen' in my mailbox. Tested out a few letters...

fpn_1439018323__2015-08-08_021649.jpg

Then some shapes...

fpn_1439018507__2015-08-08_021752.jpg

Had only a couple minutes before I had to leave so I kicked it into gear and gave it some gas...

fpn_1439018617__2015-08-08_021720.jpg

Its pretty rough looking but I am hoping I have more time tomorrow to try out a few ideas. Wish me luck (: