Pen Kimonos- A Group Shot

mchenart

I find the pen sleeves or kimonos that come with the purchase of Japanese pens very useful and fun to use. It is so thoughtful for Japanese pen manufacturers to include a pen kimono that will not only protect the pen from normal impact or handling, but will help the owner in identifying which pen goes where as well. Okay I am not talking about the Nakaya kimonos, because they are all the same no matter what model or price level it is (you get a basic standard blue one), but for more exclusive Sailor pens, they do come with various fabrics and patterns. For Sailor Susutake pens or wood pens with substantial girth, sometimes it is not possible to store them in the standard sized grooves of a regular fountain pen case, so the use of pen kimonos becomes paramount when they are kept in a pen box with one large space, one on top of another. That is how I store my large pens. However, most of these kimonos are not padded, so one needs to be careful when taking them out on a trip or to the office.

The pen kimonos are quite simple in their construction, with an opening usually at the top end, a string to tie the sleeve shut, and a tie that would keep the strings from getting loose. I like the type that has an opening on the side rather than at the top end, because the pen would not accidentally fall out if you try to slide it out in a hurry. In addition to all sorts of fancy fabric that adorn the outside of the sleeves, the ties also come in many different materials such as bamboo, wood, metal or even jade. This is when the pen kimono will become fancy and expensive.

So here is a group shot of some of my pen kimonos. Most people will recognise the blue and green Nakaya/Platinum ones on the right, while those on the left side are Sailor kimonos for Susutake, Urushi Bamboo, 100th Anniversary Mulberry and Burl Yakusugi pens. The rest are silk pen kimonos made by Taiwanese artisans. All have pens inside. Enjoy!

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF7025_zpsf2tvvknm.jpg

Edited by mchenart

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mchenart

• Dhruv_Sood

• rudyhou

• trulylefty

An Indian Kimono for Varuna/Ranga Gajendra (a huge ebonite eyedropper)

Nice Indian fabric to match the fancy ebonite work, Alex2014.

To illustrate the two different types of pen kimonos, here is a comparison photo.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF7032_zpshuafgtnm.jpg

Is there a website from which you can buy the Taiwanese ones?

You can buy pen kimonos made in Kyoto from here or here

There are also some Taiwanese on eBay who sell silk handmade pen kimonos

Kevin Hsu has been making pen kimonos for one or more pens under the brand name Chan's Handmade for quite some time. His pen kimonos can be purchased through his eBay store here. Fine Writing Int. carries another brand of pen kimonos in his Taipei store, and can be accessed here (in Chinese only). Since they have a lot more on offer than what you see on their website, it is probably best to write Mr. Rudy Lee the boss in English to enquire about their latest inventory.

mchnenart, nice collection of pen pouches and thanks for sharing the links for the Taiwanese pen pouch makers.

You can buy pen kimonos made in Kyoto from here or here

There are also some Taiwanese on eBay who sell silk handmade pen kimonos

Alex, the price is great for the Taccia kimono pen pouch on the website. It's even cheaper than buying directly in Japan at K Itoya!

I love the Taccia pen pouches for their quality and they can fit Namiki emperor size pens nicely. Below are the textile designs I managed to get in Tokyo.

Pen pouches with different textile designs.

19586852808_244a709c69_b_d.jpg

Namiki Emperor Size pens kept comfortably inside the pouches.

19586852598_5c670ba6f2_b_d.jpg

Pens in the pouches

19586852298_76703f5e5d_b_d.jpg

Close-up of the textile. Looks like tedious and complex weaving.

19588260019_6784a42826_b_d.jpg

FWIW, I found different prices from penboutique if I looked for the pen pouches via their site, via Amazon, or via their listing on eBay.

These are beautiful. I think, personally, if I were to spend as much as the Chan's ones cost, though, I'd probably rather have another pen. They are simply gorgeous.

mchnenart, nice collection of pen pouches and thanks for sharing the links for the Taiwanese pen pouch makers.

Alex, the price is great for the Taccia kimono pen pouch on the website. It's even cheaper than buying directly in Japan at K Itoya

I love the Taccia pen pouches for their quality and they can fit Namiki emperor size pens nicely. Below are the textile designs I managed to get in Tokyo.

The prices for the Taccia pouches are quite attractive, especially now when they are having a Summer Sale. Your Emporer pens are so nice, wanderlust. It is difficult to think of a better home for them than a pen komono in Japanese fabric. The variety of pen kimonos makes them that much more fun to source and match.

FWIW, I found different prices from penboutique if I looked for the pen pouches via their site, via Amazon, or via their listing on eBay.

These are beautiful. I think, personally, if I were to spend as much as the Chan's ones cost, though, I'd probably rather have another pen. They are simply gorgeous.

Yes, Chan's Handmade kimonos are a bit more expensive than the rest. I think one of the reasons being that he uses ties made of precious jade, sterling silver and sometimes Damascus steel. His fabrics and construction are also frist rate too.

To add one more photo, here are some of my pen kimonos made in Taiwan. The orange silk one with jade tie was made by Chan's Handmade. The purplish three-pen case in the centre is a limited edition made of Japanese silk, with passages of the Heart Sutra woven into the fabric.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/DSCF7076_zpszjk7s0j2.jpg

I bought this a couple of days ago from Chan's handmade. It's a wrap case. All images taken from Chan's facebook album.

1235898_737203972987269_1463066761_n.jpg1660968_737203936320606_1860959346_n.jpg1979861_737203916320608_172458651_n.jpg?

At $222 including shipping, i think this is a bit too expensive for a wrap case, but i was bored with generic kimono of Nakaya. It is made from Nishijin-ori fabric which is supposed to be expensive. I guess that's why it's expensive.

They will takes 10 days to make it, excluding weekend days, so 2 weeks to make it, then another 2 weeks to receive it via post

Edited by Dhruv_Sood

My comment was not to say that the cases aren't worth it! They are spectacular. It was just to say that, when thinking of spending on pens and accessories, pens (right now) rate higher for me. That can always change.

I bought this a couple of days ago from Chan's handmade. It's a wrap case. All images taken from Chan's facebook album.

The pen wrap you bought is called 'Cherry Blossoms from Far Away Mountain'. It is a beauty.

I'm pretty sure that the eBay description said "Sakura Tree" but thank you for the info. :)

It will hold pens with max size of 16.8 cms so larger danitrios like genkai and larger Namiki's like Emperor cannot be stores in this, unless you pay extra for more fabric and shipping.

Alex, the price is great for the Taccia kimono pen pouch on the website. It's even cheaper than buying directly in Japan at K Itoya!

Pen pouches with different textile designs.

19586852808_244a709c69_b_d.jpg

Namiki Emperor Size pens kept comfortably inside the pouches.

19586852598_5c670ba6f2_b_d.jpg

Pens in the pouches

19586852298_76703f5e5d_b_d.jpg

Close-up of the textile. Looks like tedious and complex weaving.

19588260019_6784a42826_b_d.jpg

wow. these are great looking pen kimonos. :thumbup:

-rudy-

1235898_737203972987269_1463066761_n.jpg1660968_737203936320606_1860959346_n.jpg1979861_737203916320608_172458651_n.jpg?

At $222 including shipping, i think this is a bit too expensive for a wrap case, but i was bored with generic kimono of Nakaya. It is made from Nishijin-ori fabric which is supposed to be expensive. I guess that's why it's expensive.

They will takes 10 days to make it, excluding weekend days, so 2 weeks to make it, then another 2 weeks to receive it via post

very nice indeed. yes, their pen wraps are expensive. i got one that is all black. i just wish the pen slots inside are not as large, as my pens are mostly standard size pens. their pen wraps are certainly for large sized pens.

-rudy-

My pens are usually large sized, and I had to ask them to make it even larger. They will fit any pens as long as it is not Nakaya cigar model or Namiki Emperor.

The pen I will be having is 165mm in length.

Edited by Dhruv_Sood