Which One First?

tinto

Defending a PhD thesis is a once in a lifetime occasion, but unfortunately school costs etc. often leave us impoverished for a while. My suggestion, instead of spending $400 to $1000 on the pens mentioned here, is to have one made. You could spend as much time as you want or are able to decide on a scheme (color, clip, material, banding, etc.) and it is actually quite fun. Custom made pens start at around $225, and can go up astronomically from there if you're undisciplined. I believe with Edison you could even customize one of their production pens. There is usually a few months waiting list as they seem to be a hot item now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinto

• fly_us

• KBeezie

• katanankes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Bilbo B, thank you for your writing sample.

@ac12, I’m bearing in mind that the Lamy 2000 should be tested before getting one. The good thing is that pen is available at my country. From what I’ve read, I won’t buy this one as an impulsive purchase.
Pelikan... I really like the looking of the vintage tortoiseshell brown. Just a question: is there any real difference in function or reliability between the 400 and the 400nn? I like the older better. They have a cork seal, isn’t? Is there extra work for maintenance?
I don’t know much on Parkers other than the 51 series, but I find the Vacumatics very attractive too. The Duofolds... they just don’t appeal me.
Regarding the custom path: I don’t have much experience on nibs (for years I only used Parker Vectors, always in M, with cartridges), and two years ago I got my first Lamy, first bottles of ink and a bunch of spare nibs. So I think I’m still on the massive market; at this stage, I’m fine with others taking the design decisions for me.
Again, thank you all. Summarizing, I have in mind three options:
- Lamy 2000: probably in EF. I will check it locally, and buy it locally if they have something else than M nibs.
- Pelikan 400/400nn: I really like this one. The only downside is that I feel like I will care this pen more in terms of usage of inks (iron galls won’t play with it, for example) and the way I carry it.
- Pilot Custom Heritage 92: this is a kind of joker: if nothing else fits, this one will be the one.
The Pilot Justus have mixed reviews in the forum (some allegue they are scratchy), and the Pilot 823 is still a rare bug for me given its filling system.
Regards!

I have owned, in my wretched life, 4 variants of 400s and tried and returned a few more. I found no difference between the 400/400n/400nn other than the slight change in shape. I currently favor my green 400nn because that nib delights the most. The tortoise is my personal favorite for aesthetics and they each are different, unlike nowadays where lots of the Pelicans look identical. 50s era 400s will all be slightly different. They are really lovely pens. My interest is in mid century American pens (Parker/Sheaffer/Waterman) and even I can't resist the allure of a 400. They are truly great pens. Make sure you get one that isn't cracked. Best to buy from a dealer and get a Binde you find attractive and the nib you like. Some are very springy, some not and manifold nibs are also out there too.

No affiliation and no question you can do better on the price elsewhere, but if you want a 3 year backing and know you can choose from a pile of them and get a pretty one &l get a pen that is in great shape you can try the Penguin. Or you can roll the dice. One of the pens I got here on the classifieds was cracked and leaking and had to be returned, one bought over the internet from India was a spectacular writer with a mangled clip (since replaced) so spin the wheel and cross your fingers.

Parker Vacs are wonderful. There is a thread on here listing your Top 5 pens. Such lists come up from time to time. My 42 Parker Vac has never NOT made my top 5 list. I adore vacs. I dream of owning a Maxima. I find Parker Vacs wonderful and full of charm.

User grade 51s are out there too. I have a small army of them and couldn't imagine my life without one. The Duo-fold, Vac, 51, 61, 75 run is a great line up of workhorse pens.

The 823 is just a Sheaffer 40's style vac fill really. Great filling system. I do not have an 823 or the Twsbi but have several Sheaffer Vacs (plungers) and love them. My green vac reminds me a LOT of my green Pelikan 400nn. Great nibs, beautiful and unique finishes (each is different) that are visualated (see through, whatever) both have a massive ink capacity and have a similar size, shape and balance.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Pelikan... I really like the looking of the vintage tortoiseshell brown. Just a question: is there any real difference in function or reliability between the 400 and the 400nn? I like the older better. They have a cork seal, isn’t? Is there extra work for maintenance?

Neither my 1956 400NN or my 1950s 140 have a cork seal, they only "look" older than the 50s, they're not from before the 50s. (The vintage 400, to 400N, to 400NN gains more curvature on the ends with each "N", making it more retro looking for the time).

But if you did get an older one with a cork piston such as an even older vintage 100 there is more precaution such as not using silicone grease to lubricate the piston (Beeswax I think to permeate the cork if not already done by the restoration expert...)

Of my Pelikans, my green striped 400NN with the 14K Semi-Flex EF is my favorite followed by the 140 with a 14K Soft Broad cursive italic.

Edited by KBeezie

No affiliation and no question you can do better on the price elsewhere, but if you want a 3 year backing and know you can choose from a pile of them and get a pretty one &l get a pen that is in great shape you can try the Penguin. Or you can roll the dice. One of the pens I got here on the classifieds was cracked and leaking and had to be returned, one bought over the internet from India was a spectacular writer with a mangled clip (since replaced) so spin the wheel and cross your fingers.

Thanks for the advice. That's the place where I'm looking for a vintage Pelikan. I want to avoid any trouble that tarnish this milestone pen.

Neither my 1956 400NN or my 1950s 140 have a cork seal, they only "look" older than the 50s, they're not from before the 50s. (The vintage 400, to 400N, to 400NN gains more curvature on the ends with each "N", making it more retro looking for the time).

Of my Pelikans, my green striped 400NN with the 14K Semi-Flex EF is my favorite followed by the 140 with a 14K Soft Broad cursive italic.

Thank you for the correction. I researched a bit more and I was wrong. With that in mind, and since earlier inks seemed to be more aggressive than modern iron gall ones, a vintage Pelikan is growing in my mind. Specially because there will be always a reason for getting a Lamy 2000 in the future (!).

I've looked for this through the forum, but I've failed on finding an answer: are there differences in terms of reliability between a 400 and a 400nn? Always thinking on a restored an well serviced one.

A decision of this magnitude warrants much time and reflection. The best advice I can give you is make sure you know exactly what you want before pulling the trigger, even if that means waiting a couple more months. I just recently graduated from law school and contemplated my graduation gift for well over a year and a half. I finally decided on a Pelikan M1000 with a medium nib and it is absolutely perfect. I have a few >$100 pens that in retrospect I wish I would have done differently. I love the pens, however I often find myself wishing I had a different nib size or selected a different finish. My Lamy 2000 falls in that category. I have a fine nib and I wish I would have elected for a medium. The pen writes beautifully but I hear the medium nib has a better sweet spot. Either way you go this is a big accomplishment and you need to be sure you are getting exactly what you want. This pen will likely be passed down to your grandchildren so it needs to be special. My two cents are something oversized with a M or B gold nib. Congratulations.

Ask not what your fountain pen can do for you, ask what you can do for your fountain pen.

Lamy 2K, PeliKan 600 , Pilot Custom 823 or Pilot Namiki Metal , all different but all excellent FPs!

I'm still thinking on this (as I told you, I'm not in a hurry). My couple suggests me that I should buy a pen I wouldn't in other situation. She says I have enough utilitarian pens and something flashy or expensive, even if keeping at home, could be an option. In the end, she still wants to convince me for going for a Nakaya :lol:

But I'm an utilitarian writer, so I haven't changed my mind yet. My current debate is if it is worthy to get a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with a 0.8 stubbed nib (that's $275), or if that writing experience could be achieved with a cheaper Platinum 3776, or if the Lamy 2000 could be more enjoyable in an academic environment, with frequent travels and a barrel full of ink. Unfortunately, the Pelikans lies in a more flashy category for me.

Well, I'll keep browsing a lot during my free time learning from others :)

Fountain pen collectors seem to love reommending fountain pens!

The collection that you described is just waiting for a Lamy 2000. If you prefer new pens, this will be an excellent option. I don't believe anyone has recommended a Pilot Murex, yet. I would look into this. If you prefer modernist/bauhaus design, it will be an excellent choice. I have heard it described as a stainless-steel quill.

If you want something different, a Parker Vacumatic would be great. Just ensure it has a rhodium plated nib and has been restored by someone familiar with the pen. Vacumatics were, afterall, guaranteed for a lifetime.

I saw pictures of that Pilot before. It's very interesting, something that should be in any modern collection. Just it is not exactly what I'm looking in a pen now.

An update on my research: I'm seriously looking at the Franklin Cristoph Model 20 with a Masuyama's medium subt/italic nib, still debating between a gold or a steel one. It is understated, allows interchangeable nibs and it's not that big. Could rival seriously with a Lamy 2000. What do you think?

I am a hugh Lamy 2K fan owning a couple of them, but recently have bought some Pilot FPs. It started with my daughter giving me a humble Metropolitan as a gift, for something so cheap and with a steel nib it is a pretty good writer.

This "cheapie", yet valued gift, sparked an interest in Pilot FPs, I have since bought a CH92 with a MF nib which I have replaced with a fine nib and have a 74 on order with a SF nib. I also hope "down the track" to buy an Amber 823.

Either brand, and for that matter most spoken about in the replies to your post, would be a fine acquisition. One cavet think carefully about nib selection if buying a Japanese FP.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

You didn't say much about the topic of your PhD; no mention of the genuine size of this accomplishment. I take it that you are not a flamboyant or pedantic person. My father was a humble company executive, who wrote business letters by hand. He chose a Parker 51, as did Mr. Eisenhower, Mr. DeGaul, and Mr. Churchill. 65 years later, I still use Dad's Parker 51. A new "Dr." will be well-served by a Parker 51. It will be quietly eloquent years from now, when you are summoned before the Nobel Committee. .

fpn_1318235436__rolex51b1.jpg

All the best.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I love my Platinum pens, and if you want something a bit flashier, then a Japanese Make-I pen might be the route to take - a beautifully decorated pen with a gold nib should be available within your budget.

I have bought vintage pens and some have proven to be more trouble than they're worth. Vintage pens are a gamble, and since this is a present to yourself, I'd steer well clear on this occasion. I've had some nice vintage pens, and I've had some terrible ones - and those aerometric pens are not easy to clean. Vintage pens are a gamble and for this occasion, I really do no think they are the the right choice for you.

Parker have a new Duofold range out, so if you want Parker, you could go for that. Alternatively I would suggest taking a look at Cross too - their pens are light, easy on the hand - and come with a lifetime guarantee which they stick by too.

I saw pictures of that Pilot before. It's very interesting, something that should be in any modern collection. Just it is not exactly what I'm looking in a pen now.

An update on my research: I'm seriously looking at the Franklin Cristoph Model 20 with a Masuyama's medium subt/italic nib, still debating between a gold or a steel one. It is understated, allows interchangeable nibs and it's not that big. Could rival seriously with a Lamy 2000. What do you think?

The FC with Mike's italic nib beats the Lamy 2k up and down. It is one of the most interesting pen i ever use. Feeling and handling is very good on the FC pen. I only have a steel nib so couldn't comment on gold nib, but i think it might be a good update to have a gold nib.

Either brand, and for that matter most spoken about in the replies to your post, would be a fine acquisition. One cavet think carefully about nib selection if buying a Japanese FP.

That's something nice about the Japanese route. The fact that you can get a smoke PCH92 with a FM nib is also something that I'm considering. Also, the feedback attributed to the three big Japanese is something I find appealing.

You didn't say much about the topic of your PhD; no mention of the genuine size of this accomplishment. I take it that you are not a flamboyant or pedantic person. My father was a humble company executive, who wrote business letters by hand. He chose a Parker 51, as did Mr. Eisenhower, Mr. DeGaul, and Mr. Churchill. 65 years later, I still use Dad's Parker 51. A new "Dr." will be well-served by a Parker 51. It will be quietly eloquent years from now, when you are summoned before the Nobel Committee.

Thank you for your kind words :) That adds a new perspective: which pen will be a good companion for such an event :lol:

I have bought vintage pens and some have proven to be more trouble than they're worth. Vintage pens are a gamble, and since this is a present to yourself, I'd steer well clear on this occasion. I've had some nice vintage pens, and I've had some terrible ones - and those aerometric pens are not easy to clean. Vintage pens are a gamble and for this occasion, I really do no think they are the the right choice for you.

That's something I'm still debating. I already bought a 17 years old car when I did fieldwork for my PhD. It was a very utilitarian ATV which costed me very little, but that's not a car I can say I enjoyed since I had to arrange many things and even with that the car failed me twice. The good thing is that I don't like driving, so a milestone car is not in my close future ;)

The FC with Mike's italic nib beats the Lamy 2k up and down. It is one of the most interesting pen i ever use. Feeling and handling is very good on the FC pen. I only have a steel nib so couldn't comment on gold nib, but i think it might be a good update to have a gold nib.

Last night I was looking for the entire range of FC pens. I like the model 65, but I'm trying to see if a pen minded to be at a desk is what I want (small hands, no shirt pockets, etc.). But innovative design and a well reputed maker are like magnets to me.

Again, thanks a lot!

If you haven't already gotten your pen, I'm going to absolutely recommend you pick up and fool with a Lamy 2000 before buying one. I am one of those people who just can't stand the points of the cap retaining spring in the section. I am so glad that I did -- my local (world class) brick & mortar pen store saved me plenty of money by affording me the opportunity to do so.

I have my Dad's aero Parker "51". Even though it had been sitting in a drawer for 30 years when I got it, after a rinse and fill (from the same bottle of Quink Permanent Black with Solv-X that he'd used before he set it aside), it wrote flawlessly. He was a remarkably utilitarian man, and he bought a remarkably utilitarian "51" -- black with a lustraloy cap. I don't use it much. There are three reasons for this.

First is its sentimental value. He is still my hero, over ten years after his death, and this was his daily writer for 25-30 years, and I am fearful of losing it.

Second is that I haven't picked an ink for it. I want to use black ink, but my stocks of classic black ink are kind of limited. I have partial bottles of Quink Permanent Black with Solv-X and MontBlanc-Simplo with SuperCleaner SC21. I'd like to have a phenol ink, just because the "51" is such a pain to clean, but I might also go for Heart of Darkness, because it's always come off of anything I've spilled it on, with the exception of cellulose. The other possibility is a modern black from a classic maker, e.g., Parker, Sheaffer, Diamine, Waterman, J. Herbin, Pelikan, or MontBlanc.

The third is that I prefer pens with a stop at the end of the section to sleek pens like the "51", the Sheaffer Imperial, and the PFM. Long sessions with the "51" tend to leave me tired, as I inadvertently choke up on the point with my grip.

Chartpak absolutely stands behind Pelikan's lifetime warranty. I have crumbled the caps on my blue swirl M200 and blue stripe M400 several times each, and in each and every case, they were repaired for no more cost than $6 postage on a USPS Priority Mail VHS sized box. My M200 is my favorite pen, and the one I've had longest. I intend to use it for the rest of my life.

Thank you for your thoughts. I haven't made my decision yet, and the Lamy will be tried at a store before any purchase. Unfortunately none of my closest ones have or had a pen to be treasured (actually, even having a unique or special ballpoint is rare).

I have to admit that the idea of a Franklin-Christoph is growing fastly on my me, but still have to see if a long 65 stabilis will see much use or if a model 20 will be carried more frequently. A stub/italic medium nib will be on it, that's sure. On the other hand, not having a piston filler is something that I think I will miss.

But I have learned something from all you. Today I received the confirmation that I will get the payment for a job done for a German university in 2011, and it will be a relatively significant amount of money. So –I thought–, a German pen will be a nice gratification, just like the Pelikan M205 I've had on my wish list. Diversity over just one luxury pen: is that too wrong?

Thank you for your thoughts. I haven't made my decision yet, and the Lamy will be tried at a store before any purchase. Unfortunately none of my closest ones have or had a pen to be treasured (actually, even having a unique or special ballpoint is rare).

I have to admit that the idea of a Franklin-Christoph is growing fastly on my me, but still have to see if a long 65 stabilis will see much use or if a model 20 will be carried more frequently. A stub/italic medium nib will be on it, that's sure. On the other hand, not having a piston filler is something that I think I will miss.

But I have learned something from all you. Today I received the confirmation that I will get the payment for a job done for a German university in 2011, and it will be a relatively significant amount of money. So –I thought–, a German pen will be a nice gratification, just like the Pelikan M205 I've had on my wish list. Diversity over just one luxury pen: is that too wrong?

If you get a FC, make sure the nib is coming from Mike, do not take the stock nib.

If you have bigger budget now, I strongly advise to go with custom path. Check Edision, Scriptoriumpens or your gf's advice, a Nakaya. It is a pen for lifetime, and the only pen for you.

I learn one thing over last few months, it is much safer for us to opt for high-end pen. When you got it, the other pens suddenly become much less attractive :D.

If you get a FC, make sure the nib is coming from Mike, do not take the stock nib.

If you have bigger budget now, I strongly advise to go with custom path. Check Edision, Scriptoriumpens or your gf's advice, a Nakaya. It is a pen for lifetime, and the only pen for you.

I learn one thing over last few months, it is much safer for us to opt for high-end pen. When you got it, the other pens suddenly become much less attractive :D.

I've pushed myself to the idea of an expensive pen... and I just doesn't feel comfortable spending $500 on a single pen. Regardless, last night I was looking at the different finishes of the Nakayas (gorgeous), but if I know something about me is that I don't enjoy an expensive item if I feel weird with it. I think that my barrier lies around $300 (the cheaper, the better). I know I said something different a page ago.

Don't get me wrong. This topic has been very useful for me in defining what I want as a milestone, not just a soulless pen I bought because I could. I think the main conclusions until now are that I still want something inconspicuous, but probably I'm not that focused on an EDC pen, or a pocket pen. The idea of a relatively fine italic nib is nice (I already enjoy my 1.1 on my Lamys a lot, but it is a bit broad for the most part of my writing).

That eliminates the Lamy 2000 (I understand they are not easy to grind, and getting one and sending to a nibmeister gets complicated from the South Cone). I'm watching the F-C 65 a lot (and the model 20 in second place) with a Masuyama nib, but I also like the idea of a Pelikan italicized by Indy Pen Dance. A Platinum 3776 Century with a fine stub from Nibs.com is also an option.

It could be worse: at least I'm not doing an impulsive buying :rolleyes:

(Edited: I forgot to add the Platinum option).

Edited by tinto