Which One First?

tinto

I'm about to get a big goal (delivering my PhD thesis) and I want to reward myself with a nice pen, but I don't have much experience on nibs, nor have a wide range of options to test before purchasing. That's why I ask your help.

I will try to express my question clearly: rarely I spend much money on this kind of items, and it is probably that this pen will be the newest in my small collection for a year or so; on the other hand, I know no pen is the last one :rolleyes: . So, in terms of enjoying the FP world, which one should I buy?
I have 3 Safaris, a Lamy Al-Star (EF, F, M, B and 1.1 nibs), and a Kaweco Ice Sport M. I want an everyday writer, something like an steel Lamy in F. I'm focusing on the nib qualities rather than in the filling system. Among the options I've seen are: Lamy 2000 (EF), Pelikan Mx05 (steel or gold nib in F), Pelikan 400 (I like the brown tortoise finish), Platinum Century in M, Pilot Falcon in F, Pilot CH92 in M, Parker P51… as you see, I'm clearly lost with so many options. I have a max budget set on 400 US$, and I don't care if I use just a fraction of that.
Normally, I carry two Safaris everyday, and I use them to write a lot: preparing lectures, marking, note-taking, drafting papers and so. That's why I'm not thinking on full flex nor stubs for this pen.
So, briefly: which pen can give me more pleasure for a year before wanting something else, and at the same time means a different step from what I have now? Thanks in advance for your tips and recommendations :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinto

• fly_us

• KBeezie

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about a Pilot Custom 823? I absolutely love mine. Some other good ones to consider: Sheaffer Valor and Pilot Vanishing Point. I also can't say enough good things about the Parker Vacumatic pens, the nibs on all 4 of mine are amazing.

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Out of all the pens you mention, and bearing in mind what you already have, I would recommend the Parker 51. The Pelikans you mention are very nice, but you might find them very small in comparison to the pens you currently own. If you are really set on a steel nib for reasons other than price I would highly recommend the Montegrappa Ducale. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/280598-montegrappa-ducale/

That link is my own review of it. It is a tad on the expensive side for a gold plated steel nib, but it is by far the best steel nib I have ever used (apologies fr the self promotion of the review).

I second the suggestion of the Pilot 823. Well balanced pen with a great nib and fantastic ink capacity. And well within your price range...

All said and done above, if a Pilot 823 is in your sights as a possibility I would also recommend that. The demo and semi-transparent ones are very nice, but it is a gold nib. A damn fine gold nib.

My PhD graduation gift from my parents was an engraved Cartier Diabolo fountain pen and ballpoint pen set. However, this pen could be out of your price range even with a discount; it lists at somewhere near $700, IIRC. It was my everyday writer for many years though, from graduation until just recently, and practically the only pen I used during those years, so I think it could work if you could find a deal that brought it into your budget.

On the other hand, I've been considering getting myself a nice pen for my 10th work anniversary and some of the pens I've been looking at might work for you. I'm tempted by the Pilot Justus 95, which has a way to adjust the hardness of the nib, so you can get a softer feel (and possibly more flex or line width variation) or not and change it as you desire. I have no personal experience with this pen though and don't know how well the adjustable hardness works in practice. So I'd say this is more of a suggestion than a recommendation, but it still might be worth a look.

Good luck, with the PhD and the pen choice! :)

After I gave my Ph.D. defense, my husband presented me with one of the first Pilot Vanishing Points introduced in the US. It has a wonderful gold fine point, and still writes like a dream. While I had a couple of inexpensive fountain pens, I had never had a gold nib before. While I love my steel nibs, there is nothing like writing with a supple gold nib. I now have several pens with gold nibs and love each one.

My recommendations are different than those above. I don't have a Pelikan yet, so I can't speak to them.

The Pilot Vanishing Point is a good pen, and is a special, everyday pen. Depending upon the finish you get, it can also be very professional looking.

I also really love my Delta pens. I have both the fusion nibs (gold and steel) and gold nibs. The fusion nib is stiffer than a gold nib, but has better flow than a steel nib. The gold nibs are incredibly smooth writers.

One of my everyday pens is a Lamy Studio with gold nib. It is smaller than the Lamy pens you have, but has great balance.

Good luck with your selection! And congrats on the Ph.D.!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

First, congratulations on your academic work!

You have a great selection of pens and the perfect budget to give you all of those choices, and most will leave you with plenty of money left over to buy inks and paper. Any of those pens you list will give you an outstanding writing experience, and your selection is from some of the top pen makers from around the world.

My recommendation for an every day writing tool is the one that sold in the millions--the Parker "51." These pens are amazing for their engineering, their design, their function, and their durability. The nibs are simply excellent, and you'll get a much longer writing experience than your Safari/Al-Star. I carry at least one (most times two) of these pens as my EDC. Find a nicely restored pen (recommend a nice aero and you'll be extremely pleased. Several enablers will be along shortly if you want to go this route!

The Lamy 2k is a good pen but rarely gets use in my rotation. It's certainly functional and durable, but it's a heavy pen (and your steel option will make it heavier) that will feel very different than your others. I also don't care for the small metal tabs that clip into the cap to hold it on, and I don't care for a metal section. But a short amount of research here will reveal many 2k advocates for the pen's great piston filler, ample ink supply, and good semi-hooded nib.

On the other hand, the Platinum Century #3776 is an excellent modern pen that I count among my workhorses. These pens (I have 3 and will buy one more) never dry out, work amazingly well with nano pigment ink (that Platinum makes as well as Sailor), has a great nib with a good amount of feedback, and a nice, classic design. The pens are light and well-balanced (I don't post mine), and you'll find they are a good fit after your Lamy experience, although you won't have the triangle shaped section!

I like the Pelikan M805 and M200, and they have a strong place in my rotation. These pens are good and faithful companions with flawless piston fillers, replaceable nibs (if you decide to get a different grind or find the need to do some deep cleaning), great balance, and the right amount of heft for writing. It's hard to go wrong with one of these pens, and this would be a nice pen to reward yourself after all of your work.

If you are looking for the iconic fountain pen look that still falls within your budget, a Sailor 1911 (any of the variations) is also a great pen. The Parker 51 nib is a true classic and vintage nib and writes perfectly every time; the Platinum has the right amount of feedback to put you in touch with the paper; the Pelican is a tough nail that is going to reliably lay down a line of ink at every chance; and the Sailor 1911 nib is a soft touch that is opposite of your Lamy. It's not a flex or semi-flex, and it's a great daily writer.

My recommendation would certainly be the Parker "51" as the pen lives up to its incredible reputation, and it just might give you the opportunity to explore more vintage pens in the future.

Buzz

Honestly, Parker 51 is a fantastic pen, but it is not a ceremony pen. It is a workhorse, but for special occasion, i will want something else.

If you want a good looking and reliable pen from Europe, i would recomment a Pelikan, maybe M40x or M60x series, especially in tortoise barrel. But i prefer the old style pen, IMO, have better nibs. They are available from various website in NOS or mint condition at less than half of your budget.

For Japanese pen, similar to other guys here, i would love to get a Custom 823. The Pilot nib is one of the best, and the feeling when holding the pen is just right. Another suggestion from Japan is the Pilot Justus 95. Its nib is very interesting, where you can adjust how soft it is.

Just my 2c.

Wow, I'm impressed for many replies. Thank you for taking the time to share your advices and experiences, and for all your good vibes on my process :) . I'll let you know when I will be on the position to get my new pen, but it should be during the next 10 days. Nonetheless, I will take enough time to make a good decision, so anyone who wants to comment on the following weeks is welcome!

First, probably I wrote something wrong: I'm not sticked to steel nibs, but they are my reference in terms of width. I would be happy to experiment with gold nibs, but it's not a 'need'.

I'm a little overwhelmed with all the ideas, so let me answer broadly. The Pilot Custom 823 was out of my radar. It is certainly nice, but the clip is a bit... too much for my taste. Nonetheless, it is something I still have to look at a bit more to take my decision. There is something that bothers me, and applies for the Conid Minimalisitica: it seems to take a long time to clean the pen. Is that true?

I like the idea of a Parker 51. I read there is a kind of race between modern and vintage pens, with Lamy 2000 in the opposite corner. What do you think about the ones offered by nibs.com?

I didn't put attention on the Justus 95. Interesting mechanism on the nib. I'll research more. Thank you for the suggestion!

The Platinum 3776 (Century or not) has been growing in my mind. When I began to think on a pen as a self-reward, I just looked at piston fillers, but I hadn't have any problem with my converters, so these pens receive enough attention here in the forum that their look and simplicity are serious contenders.

The Pelikans... the blue-black-silver combination is a winner, in my opinion. I understand they seem to be overpriced, but their look and tradition well worth the effort of some years of work ;) On the other hand, a 400 or 400nn in brown tortoiseshell can combine the nice appearance of the Pilot 823 with even more tradition and look.

Finally, the Sailor 1911 (and the rest of the Sailors, as well) have too much bling for my taste.

Well, a lot of information for one evening. Again, thank you. Now I have to think on modern vs vintage, and on workhorses vs commemorative pens... probably, the best kind of decisions I've been faced to during the last years.

It is funny: I've read many topics on justifying the cost of pens, or the negotiating process for get a new one... my girlfriend is trying to convince me to not limit my budget and go for a Nakaya after I show her these beauties yesterday :lticaptd:

Wow, I'm impressed for many replies. Thank you for taking the time to share your advices and experiences, and for all your good vibes on my process :) . I'll let you know when I will be on the position to get my new pen, but it should be during the next 10 days. Nonetheless, I will take enough time to make a good decision, so anyone who wants to comment on the following weeks is welcome!

First, probably I wrote something wrong: I'm not sticked to steel nibs, but they are my reference in terms of width. I would be happy to experiment with gold nibs, but it's not a 'need'.

I'm a little overwhelmed with all the ideas, so let me answer broadly. The Pilot Custom 823 was out of my radar. It is certainly nice, but the clip is a bit... too much for my taste. Nonetheless, it is something I still have to look at a bit more to take my decision. There is something that bothers me, and applies for the Conid Minimalisitica: it seems to take a long time to clean the pen. Is that true?

I like the idea of a Parker 51. I read there is a kind of race between modern and vintage pens, with Lamy 2000 in the opposite corner. What do you think about the ones offered by nibs.com?

I didn't put attention on the Justus 95. Interesting mechanism on the nib. I'll research more. Thank you for the suggestion!

The Platinum 3776 (Century or not) has been growing in my mind. When I began to think on a pen as a self-reward, I just looked at piston fillers, but I hadn't have any problem with my converters, so these pens receive enough attention here in the forum that their look and simplicity are serious contenders.

The Pelikans... the blue-black-silver combination is a winner, in my opinion. I understand they seem to be overpriced, but their look and tradition well worth the effort of some years of work ;) On the other hand, a 400 or 400nn in brown tortoiseshell can combine the nice appearance of the Pilot 823 with even more tradition and look.

Finally, the Sailor 1911 (and the rest of the Sailors, as well) have too much bling for my taste.

Well, a lot of information for one evening. Again, thank you. Now I have to think on modern vs vintage, and on workhorses vs commemorative pens... probably, the best kind of decisions I've been faced to during the last years.

It is funny: I've read many topics on justifying the cost of pens, or the negotiating process for get a new one... my girlfriend is trying to convince me to not limit my budget and go for a Nakaya after I show her these beauties yesterday :lticaptd:

You have a wise but dangerous gf :lticaptd: :lticaptd:

If the time to clean the pen is a consideration, the Parker 51 will fail. The collector holds a LOT of ink, and you cannot flush the pen like you can a cartridge pen. The vacumatic model is worse than the aerometric model, for time and effort to clean. In my case, whatever ink I put in the 51, will stay in the pen for a LONG time. I've only changed inks in a 51 when I really had to. So make your ink decision wisely.

Having said that, the 51 is a GOOD pen. I have 2 desk 51s permanently inked. By permanent, I mean they are not rotated out like some of my other pens.

gud luk in finding your pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I love the lamy 2000 go for it..... :)

Congratulation on coming to the end of all that hard work...

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

It's not everyday that you defend your Ph.D. (Btw, congratulations! And good luck on your defense). So, if I were you,I would get a really good pen that I knew would last a lifetime. I second those that suggested the Pelikans and I would suggest an M80x, which if you buy in the right place can be had for much less than your budget. For that budget you can even have a Pelikan M1000, if the size suits you. In my opinion the M80x is far superior to the Pilot 823 (I have both. Besides, the fact that you have to unscrew the blind cap of the 823 for it to work really annoys me).

Another pen that would fit your budget, depending on where you buy, is the Visconti Homo Sapiens bronze, it's a beautiful pen with a great nib.

I have a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 and I love it to bits. It's a nice, striking looking pen with Pilot's wonderful nibs. I'd never not recommend it.

But if what you're looking for is a special pen that's also a workhorse everyday writer, it's hard to go past the Lamy 2000. It's got good heft, but is still nice and light. It holds enough ink to get you through the day easily (even if it's hard to tell exactly how much is left), and it's actually solid enough that you could probably stab an rhinosorus to death with it if you really had to, so you don't need to worry about being too delicate with it. And it's one of those pens which is classic enough to belong in every collection.

- dr damonism

Nice community here :)

I’m taking note on the Parker 51 and its difficulty to be cleaned. That would actually be a factor for me.
I’ve not considered a Pelikan with brass piston because the weight and the size (I have small hands). Nonetheless, the others are still targets! I didn’t know the Visconti Homosapiens… interesting how they promote it as a lava pen.
The Pilot Custom Heritage 92 is attractive, but I’m concerned about staining it, specially with iron gall inks (Scabiosa is my favorite). That’s the reason because the Lamy 2000 has been a bold contender here. (Edited: also, it is the only pen I can buy locally. Expensive, but I understand there is value in testing physically before purchasing).
So, I’m still looking at L2K, Platinum 3776, Pilot 823 and the smaller/vintage Pelikans. I still have to learn more on the Pilot Justus.
Thanks again!
Edited by tinto

Interesting: looking for the Justus I think the Pilot Custom 912 is very nice too, specially for the variety of nib options.

I think I find the 'vintage' clips like the ones on the Pilots 74 or 823 less appealing than the 'newer' ones.