To Maki-E Or Not To Maki-E... That Is The Question.

Xand3

Howdy all,

I've been craving a proper Maki-e pen for as long as I've been into fountain pens.

For a while I thought I could satisfy the itch with a cheaper screen printed hira maki-e such as this Platinum:

http://static.jetpens.com/images/a/000/015/15601.jpg

Yet I handled it in person, and found the pen to not only feel cheaply constructed, but the fact that it was screen printed was also readily apparent. That won't do unfortunately, and I'm afraid I'll have to solve this Maki-e itch with a proper Maki-e pen.

Enter this Pelikan:

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/__v138/vfs-public/exclusive/products/maki-e/maki-e-fireworks-normal.png

I've found what appears to be an absolutely screaming deal on this pen. Just shy of $2500 (after tax) for a new one, and number 8/88 to boot. (Lucky numbers here in Asia!).

I had previously had this money set aside for a watch (a Longines Master Collection Moonphase Chrono).... yet this seems quite a bit more special. Yet, $2500 for a pen!!

My question: Would you jump on it?

(I have a Pelikan M405 already and love the thing to bits).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xand3

• Mastiff

• daintydimsum

• Alex2014

This is all just my opinion but once you start talking the kind of money these Maki-e pieces command, all reason is out the window. It's not that $2500 is buying you a superior pen over one 1/16th the price. At that price point, you are buying a piece of art. Functional art but art none the less. Like any piece of art, it comes down to how much it appeals to you and how much you can afford. If you really like this piece and can afford it, go for it. You likely won't have many chances at it given that there are so few in existence. If I wanted it and could easily afford it, I would jump on it. These are not the kind of items you shop around for the best price. Good luck with your decision. If you do get it, please share some pics.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Gosh . . . How many times have I been in this same predicament? As I'm sure many others have.

I do agree with what sargetalon has said about this pen. Functional Art.

My first thought is: Have you ever handled and/or written with a M8XX? That is the base model of the Maki-e pens. If you have only used the M405 you mentioned, there is a huge difference between the handling of those two sizes. I bring this up as once you have spent that amount of money on the pen, you will surely want to show it off! That mean inking it and carrying in your shirt pocket to use at any given opportunity! I'd want the whole world to see my new prized possession! Something to think about.

Now that being said, were I in your position with available funds to "spare," I would most likely jump head first at the opportunity to acquire a long dreamed of pen!

I would only give you one caution . . . Be careful who you tell of it's value! It could disappear on you.

When you get it, please do share detailed photos of it.

Fair winds and following seas.

In my opinion, sorry, but a Pelikan Maki-e sounds odd. Something is contradictory. It's like a Japanese kimono with an Ancient Greek painting on it. There are so many beautiful Japanese FP's with traditional maki-e to chose !

Edited by Alex2014

Have you considered pieces from Namiki? I have been thinking about a proper Maki-e pen as well and I am only looking at Namikis. They have the most pedigree and from what have seen in person, the most beautiful maki-e when compared with other Japanese makers.

I have seen a number of Pelikan Maki-e pens in person (I have not handled them) and to me they are very beautiful but if I am going to put down the money for an "investment" pen (did I really just say that!?) I rather have something with a more proven track record. Also the shapes of Namiki's pens are more simple which works better I think with maki-e.

I should say though that maki-e Namikis outside of the Yukari line (Yukari Royale and Emperor) are huge considerably bigger than an M800.

Howdy all,

I've been craving a proper Maki-e pen for as long as I've been into fountain pens.

For a while I thought I could satisfy the itch with a cheaper screen printed hira maki-e such as this Platinum:

Yet I handled it in person, and found the pen to not only feel cheaply constructed, but the fact that it was screen printed was also readily apparent. That won't do unfortunately, and I'm afraid I'll have to solve this Maki-e itch with a proper Maki-e pen.

Enter this Pelikan:

I've found what appears to be an absolutely screaming deal on this pen. Just shy of $2500 (after tax) for a new one, and number 8/88 to boot. (Lucky numbers here in Asia!).

I had previously had this money set aside for a watch (a Longines Master Collection Moonphase Chrono).... yet this seems quite a bit more special. Yet, $2500 for a pen!!

I could jump on whatever I want.....When you come back..let's us know

what you did..with a show and tell.....................Thanks.....................................

Fred

Chicago after work Friday at Dr. Pepper Music Festival Central Park

iirclearly.....' 78...........................................................................................

A Japanese art on a non-Japanese pen? i love Pelikan, but it doesn't sound right to me.

If i want a Maki-e pen, i would go with Namiki or Nakaya (if i could afford one).

They are both stunning!

But, I agree with fly_us. I would consider a Namiki or Nakaya.

Truthfully, however, you may really want to consider your primary purpose for the pen - is it to be a work of art? part of your collection? or something that you would use?

I am far too practical for something like this. That said, my husband collects rare currency - mostly for the beauty of the engraver's art.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

For a while I thought I could satisfy the itch with a cheaper screen printed hira maki-e such as this Platinum: http://static.jetpens.com/images/a/000/015/15601.jpg

The graphic shows a modern Maki-e. Platinum has other lines that may interest you more.

In my opinion, sorry, but a Pelikan Maki-e sounds odd. Something is contradictory. It's like a Japanese kimono with an Ancient Greek painting on it. There are so many beautiful Japanese FP's with traditional maki-e to chose !

A Japanese art on a non-Japanese pen? i love Pelikan, but it doesn't sound right to me.

If i want a Maki-e pen, i would go with Namiki or Nakaya (if i could afford one).

I totally agree. Maki-E on a Pelikan is just a little... wrong... especially when there are so many beauties to be had in the Japanese market. For that kind of $$ there are so many Nakayas I would buy.... egads....

But at the end of the day, OP, it has to be up to you. No one else can tell you whether that pen is worth it for you...

Why does a Maki-E Pelikan sound so odd to people? I always found Pelikan Maki-E models to look much much more beautiful than Japanese ones. The girth of the pen plays very nicely with the art laid on it.

Whether you should buy one is totally up to you. As sarge says, the amount you're paying is very high and if you don't mind paying that much for it, definitely go for it. Maki-E models are basically prettied M1000s, which is a great pen. You're paying for the art, not for the pen itself. At least a very big part of the cost is for the work on the barrel itself. If you like how they look, go for it. I have always considered the Fantasia to be the most beautiful Maki-E ever made. If only I could afford that one. If you really have a craving for it, go crazy and do it. Not everything a person does have to be reasonable. For example, I don't know what I will do when I finally come across a Moonlight, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell off quite some stuff.

Oh, pictures are expected once you get your hands on one :P

This is all just my opinion but once you start talking the kind of money these Maki-e pieces command, all reason is out the window. It's not that $2500 is buying you a superior pen over one 1/16th the price. At that price point, you are buying a piece of art. Functional art but art none the less. Like any piece of art, it comes down to how much it appeals to you and how much you can afford. If you really like this piece and can afford it, go for it. You likely won't have many chances at it given that there are so few in existence. If I wanted it and could easily afford it, I would jump on it. These are not the kind of items you shop around for the best price. Good luck with your decision. If you do get it, please share some pics.

I agree with Sarge on this one - very well said. It's all about how much you appreciate the art; the fact that its a highly limited run is a nice bonus (especially with the significance of 888 - to be honest I'm surprised that particular pen isn't going for a lot more given the numbering). If you can afford it and it's level of appeal is higher than the watch then (in my opinion) go for it - it all comes down to what you prefer.

Again in my personal opinion (and while as I'm certainly not rolling in money) if the artwork speaks to you and appeals then there's no difference then buying an expensive watch (there's a good chance you write more than you glance at your wrist!).

As far as it being a Pelikan with Maki-e artwork; honestly, Pelikan make damn good pens. Do your research; if you're happy with the process they've used for the maki-e (and i can't see it being bad for a limited edition run of 88 pens) and the quality is up to scratch - who cares that it's a european manufacturer.

Yes, there are some amazingly good Japanese pen makers that do phenomenal maki-e (Nakaya would be my pick of the bunch) but, if you like the design, the pen itself, and the quality of the production - go for it! If we're going to start discrediting pens based on the fact that they're a european maker with asian designs (or vice-versa) then a LOT of limited edition pens are going out the window....

Just my two cents!

Mike :D

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" - Sir Winston Churchill.

I agree with Sarge on this one - very well said. It's all about how much you appreciate the art; the fact that its a highly limited run is a nice bonus (especially with the significance of 888 - to be honest I'm surprised that particular pen isn't going for a lot more given the numbering). If you can afford it and it's level of appeal is higher than the watch then (in my opinion) go for it - it all comes down to what you prefer.

Again in my personal opinion (and while as I'm certainly not rolling in money) if the artwork speaks to you and appeals then there's no difference then buying an expensive watch (there's a good chance you write more than you glance at your wrist!).

As far as it being a Pelikan with Maki-e artwork; honestly, Pelikan make damn good pens. Do your research; if you're happy with the process they've used for the maki-e (and i can't see it being bad for a limited edition run of 88 pens) and the quality is up to scratch - who cares that it's a european manufacturer.

Yes, there are some amazingly good Japanese pen makers that do phenomenal maki-e (Nakaya would be my pick of the bunch) but, if you like the design, the pen itself, and the quality of the production - go for it! If we're going to start discrediting pens based on the fact that they're a european maker with asian designs (or vice-versa) then a LOT of limited edition pens are going out the window....

Just my two cents!

With regards to the Pelikan being a fusion of East and West (as opposed to purely a Japanese product) I can't say I see a problem with it.

In the history of art, many very famous artists (such as Claude Monet) found a great amount of inspiration from traditional Japanese art and craftsmanship.

That's not to compare this pen to a Monet of course, but it's to say that fusions between East and West can certainly be beautiful in their own right -- and more focus should be paid to the quality and beauty of the resulting product than the origin of it. IMO anyways.

The fact that this Pelikan has a piston is a pretty big bonus over Nakayas personally.

You have wonderful taste in pens and watches.

I see the Pelikan as at least as good of a purchase as the Longines for the equivalent cost.

I would prefer a Pelikan to any japanese pen. First I like piston fillers, and second Pelikan has a very good service, and the nibs can be changed easily. I also prefer the Pelikan nibs.

Edited by Nyanzilla

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

I understand the angst which some people may feel about the 'fusion' of east and west. I don't think one is better than the other and I appreciate the aesthetic of both schools of 'art'

I personally feel that converter fillers are a step down from piston fillers, probably because I have had so few problems with Pelikan piston fillers over the years. And frankly I think Pelikans are some of the best piston filling pens; If it is a great piston filling pen it is a Pelikan, or something very much similar.

At the same time, I have always appreciated Japanese culture as expressed in the art, design and aesthetic. Modern Maki-e stems from an art form which first surfaced around 800 during the Heian period and which achieved perhaps it's highest form during the Edo period. So the combination of a ancient Japanese art form with the mechanics of classic German engineering makes sense to me.

I stop short of considering these combinations a fusion. When Pelikan produces a piston filling pen, with the classic lines of Nakaya or Danitrio incorporating a user friendly screw in nib with the precise writing characteristics of the Japanese nibs,... that will be the fusion which wrings the money out of my pen budget.

Long story short: if it strikes your fancy, buy it and be happy that you did. There are some stunning example available on the market.

I would say go for it. Not because I sell Pelikan pens, but rather as many have mentioned, it is really the art that you are buying. Although one might felt it odd to have a Japanese art on a European pens, the fact is that the maki-e artist is a Japanese. Drawing it on a Japanese pen or a European pen does not change this fact. If you ask me if I would buy a Pelikan or even a Montblanc pen drawn by a Namiki artist, I answer would be YES without hesitation. I own both Namiki and Pelikan pieces. Personally, I love maki-e artwork, but I also love the reliability of Pelikan pen mechanism. Hence, a combination of both is something I would look for. All the best in making the decision! :)

Other pens available for sale:

Pelikan : Keep a watchout here, M805 FPs, M400 and M405 FPs,

Howdy all,

http://static.jetpens.com/images/a/000/015/15601.jpg

Enter this Pelikan:

http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/__v138/vfs-public/exclusive/products/maki-e/maki-e-fireworks-normal.png

Ohh no! Another one I want! I'll stop coming here to the forum it's ruining my pen budget :P

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know, Pelikan sells very well in Japan, and some of their Maki-e pens are just fantastic... I do think that Maki-e belongs more on Japanese pens, but if you are into both Pelikan and Maki-e it's certainly a great combination. And, yes, I would have bought one a long time ago, if I had not been so terribly keen on economic responsibility (which, of cause, any one who does not collect fountain pens would deny that I am). My only advice is the same that someone gave me about marriage: If you can live without her, don't do it ;)