The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ink Review: J Herbin 1670 Anniversary Ink: Emerald Of Chivor

j herbin ink 1670 emerald of chivor anniversary

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:56

I have been fortunate enough to receive a bottle of J Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor to review. It's my understanding that it's due to be released in August.

So I'm going to write with it over several days and post my experiences on this thread.

I have filled my Pilot Custom 74 M nib with it so far, so this is the pen I'm using today. However, I can easily change that M nib to a F one from my CH92, so I plan to do that as a comparison. Then I will use a different pen and nib type.

First things first, this ink oozes quality. It feels beautifully smooth and lubricated from the pen. It is very saturated and shows lots of different shading, as well as it's sheen. In my opinion it isn't what I would call an emerald colour, as I think of emeralds as a vibrant green. This ink is teal blue-green. When I started writing with it I thought I must compare the colour to that of Sailor Yama-dori, so that's something I will add over the course of the next few days.

I've now edited this to include a short comparison with sailor Yama-dori, plus I've attempted to show the fabulous sheen.

fpn_1437642266__j_herbin_emerald_of_chivfpn_1437642339__j_herbin_emerald_of_chiv

Sponsored Content

#2 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:21

Great,I'll be folowing your discovery of this ink. Most curious for your comparison with yama-dori. Maybe compare it to iroshizuku ku-jaku as well?
And I'd also like to see some stub writing.

By the way:haven't see any gold sparkling yet...

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.5, GvFC Moss Green; Lamy Vista 1.1, Diamine Oxblood; Sheaffer Touchdown 0.6, Sailor Kin-Mokusei

Case: Visconti HS EF, Sailor Kin-Mokusei; Estie 2314M, R&K Alt-Goldgrün; Lamy Studio 1.1, Diamine Ochre 

#3 Dr. Saleem Ali

Dr. Saleem Ali

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:25

Its a good color . its similar to some blue-black !

#4 tinkerteacher

tinkerteacher

Factotum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:07

Thanks for this review.

Egarily waiting the rest of it with bated breath, the photos especially. Given the two-tone, dye red and metallic yellow sheen, this one ink that I wouldn't think would scan well.

That heavy two-tone sheen is what makes this ink special. Combined with the native colour of the ink itself, you get red, yellow, green/blue. Rainbow in a bottle ink.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:22

Great,I'll be folowing your discovery of this ink. Most curious for your comparison with yama-dori. Maybe compare it to iroshizuku ku-jaku as well?
And I'd also like to see some stub writing.

By the way:haven't see any gold sparkling yet...

Sadly, the gold sparkling doesn't show on the scans. Nor does the red. I will take photos to see if they show it.

I have emptied and cleaned out a cartridge, and filled it so that I can use it in my Kaweco Sport that has a 1.1 nib. I'll do that tomorrow.

Today is the Wimbledon Mens final.....

#6 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:23

Thanks for this review.

Egarily waiting the rest of it with bated breath, the photos especially. Given the two-tone, dye red and metallic yellow sheen, this one ink that I wouldn't think would scan well.

That heavy two-tone sheen is what makes this ink special. Combined with the native colour of the ink itself, you get red, yellow, green/blue. Rainbow in a bottle ink.

You are correct. The red dye and metallic metal sheen don't scan well. The rainbow effect is a good analogy. Thanks. :)

#7 fly_us

fly_us

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:59

It's looked a lot like Yamadori, which is my love for now. Looking for side by side comparison with it.

#8 bureaudirect

bureaudirect

Rare

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2015 - 13:58

It's looked a lot like Yamadori, which is my love for now. Looking for side by side comparison with it.

That was exactly my thought...here are few comparisons

http://www.fountainp...ivor-ink/page-2

Mishka

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect 

#9 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:21

I have now added additional notes for Emerald of Chivor and taken some photos to show it's lovely sheen. Enjoy!

fpn_1437642266__j_herbin_emerald_of_chivfpn_1437642339__j_herbin_emerald_of_chiv

fpn_1437642575__j_herbin_emerald_of_chivfpn_1437642385__j_herbin_emerald_of_chivfpn_1437642541__j_herbin_emerald_of_chivfpn_1437642471__j_herbin_emerald_of_chiv

#10 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 20:15

That was exactly my thought...here are few comparisons

http://www.fountainp...ivor-ink/page-2

Mishka

I think Yama-dori is more blue than Emerald of Chivor

#11 bureaudirect

bureaudirect

Rare

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 17:59

I think Yama-dori is more blue than Emerald of Chivor

Yama Dori on Tomoe River paper? Impossible to photograph - covered in heavy sheen. Love it :)

Mishka

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect 

#12 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 19:37

Yama Dori on Tomoe River paper? Impossible to photograph - covered in heavy sheen. Love it :)

Mishka

I agree that it is a great combination.  :)

#13 bukhsyed

bukhsyed

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2015 - 19:15

i have just ordered the ink i really hope it works well with HP 32lb paper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: j herbin, ink, 1670, emerald of chivor, anniversary

Sponsored Content

|