Appropriate Sheaffer Touchdown?

Chouffleur

I am in the process of completing my (incredibly focused) Esterbrook collection (icicles + broad nibs). "There can be only Five."

When I'm done, my next purchase will be a repairable Sheaffer Touchdown. I know nothing about them but I'm working my way slowly up the Pen Repair Food Chain and the Touchdown is next on my list as Sac Replacement 102, a required course in Pen Repair Newbie Certification.

A few questions:

• What nib? My current Estie favorite is the 2312 Medium Italic
  • Are nibs transferable between pens?
  • Are nibs separately purchasable?
  • Is this a pen I'll want to keep or just a way point between where I am and something better?
  • What do I look for in a Touchdown?
  • What does a in-need-of-a-new-sac Touchdown go for on eBay?
  • Is it a "looks nice" or a "daily writer"?
  • What's the worst drawback?

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3rdlakerobert

• Chouffleur

• jar

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• The Touchdown is the ink filling mechanism, not the pen.

The TD mechanism was put on several different pens, with different nibs; inlaid, triumph, and 'standard' nibs.

As far as I know, the Sheaffer pens do not have interchangeable nibs like the Esterbrooks. Also the ones that unscrew, are not all the same, I have 2 triumph nib Sheaffers, and the different threading on the nibs prevent them from interchanging. I have only seen a few Sheaffer nib by themselves. And to illustrate my point, I bought one of those nibs, and it does not fit either of my Sheaffers.

If the pen can be opened, you want to make sure that the sac protector is not rusted/corroded.

I have a TD desk pen with a "standard" nib, and I use it all the time. And it is a good writer.

IMHO, the only drawback that I can think of is the way a pnumatic filler works. When you push the piston down, the pen will expel air from the sac. If you are loading in an ink vial, there may not be enough space for that air to escape, and you could get ink splashed up out of the vial. So ink this pen up in a bottle with a decent size mouth.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

There are touchdowns that have Esterbrook like nibs. I can't recall the nibs being sold separately but, I've not looked to hard for it either. These are the tip dip models made in the 1950's. Esterbrook likely made huge numbers of their interchangeable nibs compared to Sheaffer having the same sort of ability. The touchdown is one of the best filling systems including the ease of repair. Tip dip nibs can be quite stuck in their pen so it might take some doing to get the unit unscrewed.

Roger W.

I am in the process of completing my (incredibly focused) Esterbrook collection (icicles + broad nibs). "There can be only Five."

When I'm done, my next purchase will be a repairable Sheaffer Touchdown. I know nothing about them but I'm working my way slowly up the Pen Repair Food Chain and the Touchdown is next on my list as Sac Replacement 102, a required course in Pen Repair Newbie Certification.

A few questions:

• What nib? My current Estie favorite is the 2312 Medium Italic
  • Is this a pen I'll want to keep or just a way point between where I am and something better?

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

As Roger says, the entry level Tip Dip pens of the 50s do have interchangeable nib units that screw into the section. They are usually available on eBay and occassionally you can find one of the more unusual nibs like a stub or a Gregg. Seach in Sheaffer pens for "Tip Dip."

Keep in mind these are entry level pens so the nibs are steel.

The top line Touchdown fillers, which are much nicer pens, are from 1949 and 1950 and have either open or Triumph 14k nibs. The 1949 versions are known as "fat" Touchdowns because their girth is wider than the 1950 versions, which are TMs (Thin Models). Both of these Touchdowns do not have interchangeable nibs, but they will interchange their screwed-in sections easily enough as long as you are swapping between like pens.

For example, in 1949 there were two fat Touchdown versions, the Statesman (open nib) and the Valiant (Triumph nib). I believe I am correct in saying the Statesman is a little smaller in girth than the Valiant and the sections will not interchnage between the two. Someone please correct me if this is not the case.

The 1950 TM Touchdowns have both open and Triumph sections and all I believe are interchangeable with other 1950 TMs.

Probably as little as $20 if you want a do the work to restore it. The sac is easy to do. The little O ring can be difficult if it's ossified because they don't like to come out of their little groove in the barrel end. The point of an exacto knife is good for picking them out, and you'll want a good light, one that mounts on headgear, and that's great for pen restoration work anyway.

The 1949 and 1950 Touchdowns pens are great pens in form and function. The stell nib TipDips are good pens, good writers, but decidedly "plain."

In my mind, not much. I guess I would say I like a nib with a little spring and I don't know that any of the pens we're talking about would have that, though some of the 1950 open nibs might. Oh, I guess the ink capacity on the TMs is rather meager. You'll need an ink bottle at work because of course they don't take cartridges.

1950 TM Touchdown (Sentinel)

post-82790-0-46103800-1436704466_thumb.jpg

1949 fat Touchdown Statesman:

post-82790-0-46064600-1436704411_thumb.jpg

The Touchdown style filling system was continued into several other model lines, the PFM and the Imperials as well as the modern Legacy and Legacy 2.

My Website

The Touchdown style filling system was continued into several other model lines, the PFM and the Imperials as well as the modern Legacy and Legacy 2.

The PFM is a Snorkel filler, a redesigned Touchdown which is described as "one of most complex filling mechanisms ever made."

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

Although your current favorite Estie nib is medium italic, consider trying other nibs on other pens. There is a use for virtually any nib. Note taking, journal writing, letter writing, sketching, crosswords, and list making may all work better with different nibs. Different paper qualities may want to be paired with different nibs. Having a variety of pens with a variety of nibs gives you flexibility and choices.

Touchdowns are reliable and fun to use. I like the Imperial III version which has a triumph nib. The Imperial IV has the iconic inlaid nib and may be a good choice if only getting one Touchdown. The older TM and tipdip pens can be had for a little less money, but Snorkels have the same size and look, so I'd rather use a snorkel (more fun).

Whatever you get, enjoy.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Replacing the sac on a touchdown filler is relatively simple. In some ways, once you've gotten comfortable with the Esterbrook, it's easier to replace the Sheaffer. The trick comes in learning the O-ring replacement at the back of the barrel, near the blind cap. The vacuum needed to fill the pen relies on a good seal.

I love Sheaffer pens, and the TD models are a lot of fun. I've enjoyed the ones that have crossed my path.

It should be noted touchdowns appeared in everything from cheap school type pens to solid gold models, a price range now from few dollars to $1000 plus.

My recommendation for repairs is to buy extra O-rings, preferably something like a bag of ten. Modern replica pen parts all have a little bit of variance to them and in addition it is not uncommon for a Sheaffers of the era you are looking at to have a slightly shrunken barrel. Being able to try multiple O-rings makes replacement much easier. I recommend similar with sacks when you on you will have a tight fit but for touchdowns the sack shouldn't give you trouble.

Note to self: don't try to fix anything without the heat gun handy!

I get my Touchdown and Snorkel kits from VintagePens (David Nishimura). All the parts (O-rings and sacs) in one bag. So far no problems with fit.

As for shrinkage, I ran into one with a section that shrank badly. I had to cut the section open to salvage the parts.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'm not having much luck on eBay for Touchdowns or Snorkels. They keep spiraling up past my max bid before I even get to enter it (10-12 hours before auction close). Either I'm being unrealistic about what a needs-repair touchdown or snorkel should cost or I'm looking at the wrong auctions. Is expecting a pen made in the (wild-ass guess) millions that needs repair to cost $20 or less unreasonable?

I'm not having much luck on eBay for Touchdowns or Snorkels. They keep spiraling up past my max bid before I even get to enter it (10-12 hours before auction close). Either I'm being unrealistic about what a needs-repair touchdown or snorkel should cost or I'm looking at the wrong auctions. Is expecting a pen made in the (wild-ass guess) millions that needs repair to cost $20 or less unreasonable?

Well, that's rock bottom. Let it be a challenge.

Well, I would love it if everyone that bid on pens I wanted felt like you.

My Website

The prices that buyers are willing to pay on eBay for unrestored pens, including TD's and Snorkels, seem to have risen in the last year. That said, you can still find the occasional good deal. It just takes more time, sometimes a lot more time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scheaffer-White-Dot-Fountain-Pen-/131556726530?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=yX3pxYZaSBtFj3qIHr%252B%252FIkkwBgQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I know I said $20 was possible but this is close and shipping is low. Picked this up Sunday morning. I'd written to the seller asking and he said the cap had no dings. Morning auctions are a good source of low prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scheaffer-White-Dot-Fountain-Pen-/131556726530?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=yX3pxYZaSBtFj3qIHr%252B%252FIkkwBgQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I know I said $20 was possible but this is close and shipping is low. Picked this up Sunday morning. I'd written to the seller asking and he said the cap had no dings. Morning auctions are a good source of low prices.

I bought what looks like the same pen but *with* cap dings. Since I'm clawing my way up the pen-repair ladder rung by rung I regarded the dings as a *feature* rather than a bug. ;-)

It takes a lot of patience and searching. LOTS of both. You sometimes find things hidden in lots, and not always well described. I got my first Crest TD last year in one of those. I think if you up your range to $25, you'll find it easier to snag one. And some of the above mentioned stuff - early morning sales, mid-week, two day auctions. All of that.

It takes a lot of patience and searching. LOTS of both. You sometimes find things hidden in lots, and not always well described. I got my first Crest TD last year in one of those. I think if you up your range to $25, you'll find it easier to snag one. And some of the above mentioned stuff - early morning sales, mid-week, two day auctions. All of that.

I agree, $25 will get you a lot more chances than $20.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.