The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Suggestions For Metal Powders

gold silver metal powder maki-e

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TassoBarbasso

TassoBarbasso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2015 - 19:36

Hi Guys,

I'd like to start playing around with some "home-made maki-e", i.e., experimenting with shellac lacquer and some metal dust to see if I can get some basic maki-e style patterns. Problem is, I have no idea where to get metal powder. A google search gives only providers of metal powders for industries. It's especially hard to find reliable sites that sell gold dust. But I'd like to experiment with silver, copper and bronze dust as well.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Fabio

Sponsored Content

#2 Inspector

Inspector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2015 - 16:55

You could look for the mica powders used for making makeup and colouring casting resins people make pen blanks out of.

http://www.tkbtradin...ry_id=12&page=g

http://www.kamapigme...store/index.asp

Pete

#3 TassoBarbasso

TassoBarbasso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2015 - 14:22

thanks!

I'll check that out.

#4 TassoBarbasso

TassoBarbasso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2015 - 18:51

I cannot believe it: This website (kamapigment) also sells the typical green earth of the place close to the village where I grew up! :) I had no idea that it could be found outside of there. This is so nice! It was like a trip back to childhood when we would go around with my grandfather picking up those strange green rocks with their weird shapes.  :blush: If I do decide to go ahead with this, I'll definitely use this earth. Thanks for making me discover this.

#5 Rich L

Rich L

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:21

I'm not kidding - make your own. I've done that with silver and you can do that with, say, 10K gold. Sand it or use a #6 file and collect the dust. If you use sandpaper (or emery) keep it wet with water so the dust doesn't get stuck in the paper. Using a file is easier but clean the file thoroughly first and then comb out residual filings with a piece of wood or acrylic.

Cheers,

Rich

Classic Guilloché ------------ www.argentblue.com ------------Damascus Steel

#6 TassoBarbasso

TassoBarbasso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:39

thanks for the suggestion. It turned out, getting shellac in Lithuania is a bit hard, and I really want to use that because it's more "natural"; I'll have to order it from Canada alongside some of those pigments above.

Edited by TassoBarbasso, 14 July 2015 - 15:21.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gold, silver, metal powder, maki-e

Sponsored Content

|