What's Everyone's Favorite Black Ink?

LinearNib

In my life, I've used Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black (though it's been a long time; I only had a Pelikan M200 at the time, and it may have been before or after the Great Phenol Phase-Out), Parker Quink Permanent Black with Solv-X, MontBlanc Simplo Black with SuperCleaner SC21 (those two DEFINITELY predate the Great Phenol Phase-Out), Levenger Raven Black, Waterman Black, a cartridge of Platinum Black, and Noodler's Borealis Black, Heart of Darkness, and Bad Black Moccasin. I write on pretty bad paper most of the time (Norcross 8x10.5 Made in USA walmart 70-sheet spiral notebooks, generic office copy paper, and the even less bright GP Basic copy/print paper sold at Walmart).

I remember really liking the Pelikan Black. It was pretty water-resistant. Of course, my M200 is pretty wet. I was disappointed in the Waterman black, because it was kinda washed-out, especially compared to Pelikan. I don't remember any behavior issues. Raven black was rather smudge-prone. It's been years since I used it, and I might be confusing that with the Levenger Cobalt Blue I also had at the time. The MB-S black is very nice, except for being rather desaturated, but certainly no more so than modern Waterman. So too is the old Quink, which is darker and denser. The Platinum black was well-behaved in my Plaisir, and nicely dense. Borealis Black is insanely black, but prone to feathering. Bad Black Moccasin likewise, but feathers more, and dries more slowly. Heart of Darkness is my favorite. It is everything-proof, plenty dark and dense enough, feathers little, and dries quickly.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• jmccarty3

• visvamitra

• MTHALL720

Old Manhattan is usually the most saturated (forgive me...it is the blackest black) black on most papers in most pens. This is followed by Noodler's Black, the one I would choose forever if I had to (waterproof, dark, luby). I love Waterman Black because it is old fashioned and shady, just has a friendly feel if not the darkest black I ever used it is real easy to clean out of old fashioned sac fillers and it's old fashionedness gives a charm to writing with antique pens.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

i use black ink because it improves the contrast of my handwriting, people tend to have a bit of trouble reading it. I on the other hand love my own handwriting.

i always thought the Black Quink was quite alright, but after viewing this topic i realised its actually not the most beautiful.

I don't like black inks but I do use Aurora Black, Pelikan 4001 Black and Sheaffer Skrip Black every now and again.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Whatever doesn't have mold in it.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

I am currently looking for the best black inks, so I tallied up the votes. Results may be one or two off here or there, I haven't double checked.

Aurora Black: 10

Sailor Kiwa-guro: 10

Noodler's Black: 6

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black: 3

Waterman Black: 3

Noodler's Eel Black: 3

Noodler's Old Manhattan Black: 3

Noodler's Heart of Darkness: 3

Montblanc Mystery Black: 3

Platinum Carbon Black; Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi; Pilot Black; Noodler's X-Feather: 2

Sailor Jentle Black; Moon Palace Sumi; J. Herbin Perle Noire; Diamine Jet Black; Graf von Faber-Castell Carbon Black; Sheaffer Skrip Black; Noodler's Borealis Black: 1

Much smaller sample size here compared to the other one I bumped but I found it interesting that this newer thread has far fewer Noodler's HoD and J. Herbin Perle Noire fans than the older, and that Aurora Black is far less dominating.

1 Platinum Carbon Black

2 Noodler's Black

3 Pelikan Edelstein Onix

4 Private Reserve Velvet Black

5 De Atramentis Document Archive

Noodler's Black for me. Apart from the slowish drying time I don't see a reason to ever use another black.

Aurora black behaves great but for me it's just too black.

I agree. Not only is it merely black, it's really most sincerely black.

Edited by Manalto

James

I just love black, black pens and black ink, no doubt... maybe that is why I am a member of the Black Pen Society (read the Fountain pen journal if you do not know what I am talking about)

I have tried green and brown, there are some nice ones around, but I always come back to black.

I have enjoyed reading the arguments about "why not black" and I have heard other arguments against black before, it is ok and some are right but I still love black.

I have tried many, at the end I stay with the same three blacks; they satisfy me plenty so I do not have to think about it anymore

Noodler's Heart of Darkness (strong and in a big bottle so I can write and write) 10

Aurora black, just great also 10

Jet Black Diamine, superb... 10 again

For those who can not always test what they want Glenn's pens pages have great pages with written samples about inks...

Noodler's Black.

Pros:

It's feels nice flowing through the nib. It's dark enough to be considered a legitimate black ink, though some off-brownish shading can be observed in dry nibs. It does not feather or bleed on all but the most loathsomely low quality paper, and in my experience, only IG inks can beat Noodler's Blk in this aspect. It is truly permanent and waterproof. It is inexpensive in the US. It is a handmade "craft" ink created by a true artisan and stand out in the fountain pen community.

Cons:

After extended us in a pen, it needs a thorough cleaning to remove all residue.

It could be a bit blacker.

I've used Lamy Black, Pilot Black, Parker Quink Black, Platinum Carbon Black and a few other weak contenders, and I was very disappointed. Poor color that leans towards gray, watery consistency, bleeding and feathering on standard paper, etc.

My biggest let down was Platinum Carbon Black. It was expensive, highly reviewed, and said to be even better than Noodler's Black on cheap paper. It's not. It's blacker and it has a matte silver sheen, which is cool, but it feathers terribly on cheap paper, making Noodler's more versatile.

I still need to try Sailor Nano Black and Aurora before I claim a true champion.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I don't use black as a rule, but if I was going to use it, it'd be Sailor Kiwa-Guro. The matte, velvet finish sets it apart.

PORTIA DA COSTA
writing erotica and erotic romance since 1991/

born again fountain pen addict
http://www.portiadacosta.com

Platinum Carbon Black is an awesome matte black. I have it in my Kaweco Classic Sport eyedropper. Broad nib. Delicious. Someone I know called this the "Sharpie setup".

I have tree black ink, and like them all. Caran d'Ache Carbon, Platinum Carbon and J. Herbin Perle Noire. The first to is kind of my first choice depending, that I need water resistance or not. Perle Noire is also really great ink. To be honest its really hard to pick only one favorite one.