An Interesting Wyvern (?) Efficiency Pencil-Pen

Daddy-O

Here is something a bit unusual. It is an English-made Efficiency self-filling pencil pen in chased black hard rubber. The cap has a wide 9 carat gold band with a hallmark from the London Assay Office dated1922.The patent number 151753 on the barrel and level suggests that may be a Wyvern product. The nib is 14 K warranted, made in the USA so I suspect it is a replacement. The end of the lever is bent downwards and I'm not sure how that could have happened. The other end houses a large lead - probably 2mm diameter.

Overall, a nice quality pen and quite substantial. It is a little earlier than most of the combos that turn up. Any information, especially regarding the correct nib would be much appreciated.

post-115584-0-85585000-1436579144_thumb.jpgpost-115584-0-00056800-1436579074_thumb.jpgpost-115584-0-32684200-1436579028_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daddy-O

• Cob

• mallymal1

• peterg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is something a bit unusual. It is an English-made Efficiency self-filling pencil pen in chased black hard rubber. The cap has a wide 9 carat gold band with a hallmark from the London Assay Office dated1922.The patent number 151753 on the barrel and level suggests that may be a Wyvern product. The nib is 14 K warranted, made in the USA so I suspect it is a replacement. The end of the lever is bent downwards and I'm not sure how that could have happened. The other end houses a large lead - probably 2mm diameter.

Overall, a nice quality pen and quite substantial. It is a little earlier than most of the combos that turn up. Any information, especially regarding the correct nib would be much appreciated.

attachicon.gif100_1238.JPGattachicon.gif100_1239.JPGattachicon.gif100_1240.JPG

A very interesting pen indeed and quite a find.

I have a client who collects only Wyvern pens; I think I have repaired/restored about 25 or so for him. I did rebuild one combo but as I recall it was rather different from yours. It had a lovely broad stub nib with flex - most Wyverns I have tried have been firm.

As for the lever, I think it may well be correct - it suggests to me that the filling system is similar to Waterman's pens and the better Conway Stewarts; it is necessary for the lever to be formed that way in order that it aligns internally with the pressure bar.

Well done!

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Not something I'm familiar with, but it looks an intriguing piece.

Nice find.

You make a good point about the lever Cob. It is reminiscent of an early Waterman's lever box with the tab at either end of the slit. It is not actually boxed like the Waterman's but it is quite substantial. It is hard to imagine that it was accidentally bent in that way.

You make a good point about the lever Cob. It is reminiscent of an early Waterman's lever box with the tab at either end of the slit. It is not actually boxed like the Waterman's but it is quite substantial. It is hard to imagine that it was accidentally bent in that way.

That is interesting; perhaps there is some kind of internal mechanism that the tabs secure; otherwise, why should they be there?

You really must have a close look inside!

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

It looks very similar to their 'Two Fold' combination pen sans the clip. They were fitted with steel nibs, so it may have been 'up graded' by a previous owner.

I found a FPN post from three years back with an identical Wyvern pencil-pen combo. It has a 9 ct cap band and a warranted 14 ct nib - although not made in the USA. Interestingly, the patent number on the barrel is the same as my pen but the patent number on the lever is different. It is an earlier pen with a 1920 hallmark. A model 72. There is no bend in the lever however as the mechanism has a different patent, this does not shed any more light on the issue. Also, this pen is a Wyvern Combination whereas my is referred to and a 'Pencil-Pen'.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/232548-wyvern-combination-pen/