Dip Pen Nib Cleaning - Suggestions?

AAAndrew

I'm starting to get back into dip pens and I'm looking for some advice.

Most of what I see talks about how to clean off dried ink from calligraphy nibs. I'd rather keep my nibs clean, especially my vintage nibs (some quite nice) than to let them get all dried up and have to soak them.

What I'm looking for is something that I can incorporate into my writing routine. Sometimes I'll write with one nib for a while and then want to switch nibs. I currently only have one oblique holder. And even if I had more I'd still want to clean that nib then rather than wait for it to dry completely. I also don't want to have to get up and go to the sink and scrub with a brush every time. If I could have a jar or two sitting there and swirl the dirty nib in a cleaning solution, then maybe in a jar of clean water, then wipe off, that would work well.

Should I use the commercial cleaning solutions or can I make my own? I've see recommendations for everything from window cleaner to a water/ammonia/dish-washing liquid solutions. Would that work on the thicker dip pen ink?

I also hesitate to wash my nibs in the sink because each time would leave open the possibility of dropping it into the sink. If it's just a Zebra G, an inconvenience, but not a huge loss. If it's one of my two Spencerian No1's, or another of the wonderful old vintage flexible nibs, it's more serious.

Right now I'm dunking in a jar of water and wiping off as best I can. It's ok, but periodically some ink doesn't come off, or it's gotten kind of sticky and I have to rub, and with the delicate tines on some of these flexible old nibs, I hate to do that.

I hear alcohol is sometimes used, but is that for cleaning or for post cleaning wipe down? Does it actually act as a solvent for the ink? Can I use standard pharmacy denatured?

Suggestions? Thanks!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• j-e-g

• ac12

• gordonhooker

Top Posters In This Topic

I leave the nib in the holder. I don't get ink so high that it goes into flange. And I clean right after my writing session, I don't leave the ink to dry on the nib.

I dip the nib in water and wipe clean. May have to do this a few times, changing the water if it gets inky.

Then at the end I wipe the nib with an alcohol soaked pad. Interestingly, this will sometimes remove ink that I thought was cleaned off by the water.

Done.

I just use 70 or 99% rubbing alcohol, cheap. Just make sure that the inert ingredient is water, not glycerine or other "stuff."

I primarily use fountain pen ink and Higgins Eternal.

But even when I used Speedball acylic ink, it washed off with water.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I dunk in a cup of water and wipe with a tissue. If I've forgotten to put out some water I use saliva on a tissue. When using non-FP inks there'll inevitably be a build up on the nib after a while that water won't shift, so I occasionally dip in some Rapido-eze and wipe gently, followed by a dunk in water.

I treasure my vintage gold dip nibs and never scrub them. However that appears to be a method favoured by their original owners. You occasionally see vintage dip pen stands complete with pen wipes that are basically an upturned bristle scrubbing brush.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Shin at OpenInkStand has a quick set of videos on pointed-pen work. She advises keeping a jar of alcohol and one of water at the side of your work space. A quick dip-and-swirl in the alcohol, then a wipe with a cloth, and a rinse in the water, another wipe. Both for new nibs, to remove oil, and to clean ink from a nib in use. I find it works out fairly well.

Hermann Zapf always recommended using a short, square stiff bristle artist's brush (about 1/4 inch bristles) to transfer ink to a nib and clean off crusty ink while writing. Works out nicely, I have done it for years.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

She advises keeping a jar of alcohol and one of water at the side of your work space.

No problem, both usually present. :)

But IMHO kinda wasteful on the blended Scotch, let alone any single malts... :/

Aaack! Even my best vintage nib does not deserve whisky or whiskey. Now Gin, on the other hand... That's only good for washing trucks and cleaning pens. :)

I'll try the alcohol. I'll keep the lid closed until I need to dip and swirl. (Sounds like a dance move, but I'm sure it would sound better in French)

Thanks!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

The 2 cup, 2 step rinse works well. One cup for your "solution" or cleaner and the second cup for warm water to rinse - Although you will still have to change your clean water cup now and again when it gets dirty.

I like the weight of a vintage glass salt dip or tooth pick holder. Some have solid, wider bases that prevent tipping. They are easy to find & since they were once part of a set, they are pretty cheap to pick up.

First a good swirl in your solution/cleaner,followed by a swirl in the clear warm water.

Always followed by drying with a dry cotton cloth, kleenex or paper towel. Try to avoid and fabrics with loops that might snag a tine or corner of a nib.

For non-water proof inks warm water with a small amount of mild dish soap will do fine for fresh or dried inks.

For waterproof inks there are several mixes you can buy or make. Many calligraphy blogs and sites suggest:

1. 90% water with 10% clear household ammonia and again a "titch" of mild dish soap. This works well for me.

I mix it ahead in a large, reclosable bottle to have on hand.

2. Ammonia based window cleaner such as windex . I assume the pump spray type opposed to the aerosol.

I have not tried the window cleaner since I purchased a bottle of clear ammonia.

They also suggest a soft bristle tooth brush for stubborn dried ink.

I will add that a 30-60 minute soak in the ammonia-water-soap solution and a soft toothbrush has worked really well for removing dried ink on some vintage nibs I've purchased.

I used to get out the gerni and pressure clean them on the pavers out the back but I kept losing them :D :D, so I decided to clean them in clean water straight after using them and dry them roughly with a paper towel or tissue and then leave them to air dry.

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

I used to get out the gerni and pressure clean them on the pavers out the back but I kept losing them :D :D, so I decided to clean them in clean water straight after using them and dry them roughly with a paper towel or tissue and then leave them to air dry.

So, sand blasting is right out? Probably lose them there as well.

I did take a 2000 grit wet-dry automotive sandpaper to a few of them to get the rust off. Some were good after that, some were just too far gone. I've had most of these nibs for close on 40 years. Some of the drawing and find nibs came from my late father-in-law who made maps to record his mineral prospecting (geological engineer). But I believe some of the nicer nibs probably came from my Great Aunt who taught school in Brownstown, IN in the 1920's. Since it was essentially one teacher to multiple grades (one-room school) I'm sure she taught penmanship. She ended up as the town's librarian for many decades. I still have her 1924 Underwood typewriter, and these nibs. Several are marked "Little Red School House". Anyone ever heard of those?

Thanks for the suggestions! I may do a test. I'll try Windex (which is basically water, surfactant, ammonia, and color), and also alcohol to see which ones works best.

Andrew

-Montaigne

I also hesitate to wash my nibs in the sink because each time would leave open the possibility of dropping it into the sink.

Hrm. As an earring-wearing female, I never give this second thought-- that's why you put the stopper in the sink before you start. (Yes, water will back up in the sink, but you're not running enough water to overflow it.)

I'll try the alcohol. I'll keep the lid closed until I need to dip and swirl. (Sounds like a dance move, but I'm sure it would sound better in French)

One of those jars like schools have for kids to paint, with the lid that has the hole in the center for the brush but won't spill if knocked over? Like these. They even come in a double cup.

LOL Katharine .. I hate to admit it, but... in a rush to do a quick rinse of a nib and feed.... (even as an earring wearer... and a bit OCD)

Oh yes, I thought that one quick rinse would be a snap. Until I had to wrestle the garbage disposal for my nib.

Don't you know I don't think I will ever try that "just one time quick rinse" again. Funny thing is , I wouldn't have fought the disposal for an earring like I did for that nib :(

I like that double cup thing! Nice idea.

-Montaigne

I like that double cup thing! Nice idea.

Sandblasting is most certainly out - when you finally do find the nib it is pitted - will never do that again. I like the double cup idea as well - I just used a water glass in the past.

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

AAAndrew, the smaller salt dips/tooth pick holders are nice if you like to pack your supplies together in a small storage box. They aren't much taller than a bottle of ink, so pack well together.

Their lower height works well to dip the nib and not the entire handle and keeps the pen lower to the work (less dripping all over) It is much less traumatic to tip over a small amount of water/solution than a drinking glass full :(

The salt dips are shallow and more oval shaped so that if you want to just swap nibs and leave one soak a but in solution, they are perfect. That and a small pair of plastic tweezers eliminate a lot of fishing to get your nib out of a tall drinking glass.

Grain alcohol is neutral. I use it to clean my pipes (smoking. old school)

besides after cleaning the nibs you won't be tempted to drink the alcohol

Then drink the single malt and blended scotch to celebrate a job-done-well

Although this might lead to cleaning the pens even if you didn't use them

Cheers

Another 2 glass method..one smaller and one larger:

Fill the small glass with Royal Crown then dump it into the larger glass

Next fill the smaller glass with Bailey's and pour that into the larger glass.....

Don't bother with ice, it won't last that long ;)

This method is so simple and easy to repeat. again and again. Heck, when you're done.. you'll have a pretty bottle to put the ammonia and water solution in

I must be missing something, as usual. I just wipe my pens gently with a paper towel when I'm through writing. I only rinse in tap water if I get interrupted while writing and leave the pen sitting out. I never use other solvents. I've never had a problem with ink buildup, either with calligraphy ink or with thickened fountain-pen ink.

ron

I think it may depend on the ink. What I'm using now is rather old Japanese sumi-e ink and it can be rather sticky on the nib by the end of a couple hour practice session. Water wasn't quite good enough at dissolving the ink to make it easy to thoroughly wipe off, so I was looking for an additional solution to help.

Last night I wiped my nib down with alcohol and it did take off more ink that water and wiping wouldn't remove. I also found out we're out of window clearer and ammonia so that part of the experiment will have to wait.

-Montaigne

AAAndrew, use one of these when washing your nibs in the sink. If the nib falls off your hands , it will not go down the drain.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/673/c07M17.jpg

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

But, but, that would make sense and be logical! :D

Maybe I'll try that if sandblasting doesn't work.

-Montaigne