Dallas Pen Show 2015

box_camera

@Fuzzy_Bear: Could it have been Cursive Logic? I saw a nice display for the system at one of the tables. (Farnhey's?). I didn't know there were stickers.

I'm a big fan of the program. I supported both the original and the current kickstarter campaigns.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• TXKat

• PAKMAN

• Fuzzy_Bear

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paradise Pens had the stickers and the display. Here's a link to the website: http://www.cursivelogic.com/

Edited by deacondavid

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

I finally photographed my recent acquisitions...you know...the stuff I swore I wouldn't buy anymore of at this year's show. The gallons of ink not included here.

Three are yummy flexy! A Caesar, a Durabilt, one was a gift and one is a Venus to go with my other one. Finally my German No. 18 EF, lol. If I can find a photo of the word/name on the cap I'll post!

(Anyone willing to translate German, your assistance would be much appreciated. :D )

[/url]">http://https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1444094637__20151002_1742032.jpg'>fpn_1444094637__20151002_1742032.jpg

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Reaching back almost 50 years to college German:

First class fountain pen

with see-through "ink control" (i.e., an ink window)

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Reaching back almost 50 years to college German:

First class fountain pen

with see-through "ink control" (i.e., an ink window)

Thanks, J!! Can you tell what the writing on the cap shows?

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Looks like "Stau," which is German for traffic jam. Could be "Star" with the stars on either end of the logo, but that's not a German word, AFAIK. It is common to see corporate logos in this position on the caps of German pens from that era, and I suspect that this is one of those. Corporations would buy these pens to use as gifts to clients, retirees, etc.

Thanks, J!! Can you tell what the writing on the cap shows?

Butting in - it could be "Stan", short for Stanislaus. I am guessing this pen dates from the thirties? It looks like it was designed in the same style as an early piston filling Pelikan.

Germans were not big on nicknames or abbreviations for names - they tended to be more formal even through the eighties when I lived there. The script and the stars at the ends look a little odd. Unless this person were affiliated with the theater - then the flamboyance would fit. German companies pre-WWII would not have had that kind of flourish in a logo, either.

I wonder if the engraving is modern?

Also, the second letter looks like an uppercase "A", but I can't make sense of the meaning if it were an "A".

For sure, you have a first class filling feather holder.

Greg

The more I know about computers, the more I like my pens.

Colorado Pen Show

5-7 October 2018

Denver, Colorado

I finally photographed my recent acquisitions...you know...the stuff I swore I wouldn't buy anymore of at this year's show. The gallons of ink not included here.

Three are yummy flexy! A Caesar, a Durabilt, one was a gift and one is a Venus to go with my other one. Finally my German No. 18 EF, lol. If I can find a photo of the word/name on the cap I'll post!

(Anyone willing to translate German, your assistance would be much appreciated. :D )

[/url]">http://fpn_1444094637__20151002_1742032.jpg

Thrilled that the flexy Lapis Durabilt found such a good new home!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Had a great time too - although it was short.

I usually go by on Friday night and do a general recon to figure out where I want to concentrate Saturday, but I wasn't able to get away from work in time. Then Saturday morning, I had to turn in a rent car and reclaim my own car. So I didn't get to the pen show till one o'clock. First stop to Danny to reset a nib on one vintage pen and lubricate the piston on another. Got to visit with Pakman and saw his newly acquired Parker 75 collection. I was on a quest for a particular 75 myself. Tim Pierson had been at a pen club meeting in the spring and had a 75 flighter with a broad stub - I wanted it but couldn't buy it then. So next stop was Tim's table - not only did he still have it, but he knew exactly where it was. Yea! Also spotted a pretty green striped duofold and bought that too. Checked Dromgoole's for the show ink, but I was too late this year. Next a couple of pen cases. Then ink and paper from the Andersons. I also wanted to look at the Edison Pearlette, to get a feel for the size and balance. Didn't buy it Saturday, but I dropped by to look at it so many times that Brian A joked he'd have to charge me a rental fee. It's on the wish list now. Saw two professional friends; one of them I already knew was a pen person, as we've talked fountain pens many times. The other was there with an co-worker; they were looking for a nice entry level pen, maybe a Safari, for co-worker. Visited with several folks from the pen club and a couple more vendors that I've become acquainted with over the years. Late in the afternoon, stopped by Indy-Pen-Dance to have a nib ground. I had volunteered to work the registration table for the last hour. There weren't too many people arriving after 4, but it was a chance to visit with a couple more pen club members. A good day as usual.

Part of the problem with the show was no name tags. Hard to look for people.

Grace and peace to you

:)

Unfortunately, many name tags that are provided at shows and meetings are completely useless:

(1) The Lanyard Name Tag, which is hung around the person's neck. 80% of the time, this is twisted around wrong side out, so it can't be read. The lanyard is usually too long, so the name tag is hanging at lower chest level, where an effort to read it gives the uncomfortable impression that one is staring at the wearer's breasts.

(2) The Tiny Print Name Tag. At the DC show, the name tags had the first name printed in small type and the last name printed in even smaller type. I might have been able to read them if I had used my loupe (after turning them right side out, of course). Reaching for the name tag in order to bring it close enough to read again gives the wrong impression.

(3) The Decorated Name Tag. In this variant, the wearer's name is concealed behind numerous stickers and pins representing membership in pen organizations and past shows attended. I saw several examples of this at the DC show.

When I started attending meetings years ago, I was taught that the purpose of name tags is to make it easy for a person to identify you (or to remember your name, if they have forgotten it) without awkwardness. What you want is a name tag that is easy to read and is in a place that is easy to view without unnecessary and embarrassing contortions. The simple clip-on plastic name tag holder with a rotating clip fulfills this purpose admirably. If wearing a jacket, the tag should be clipped to the edge of the right lapel, so that when one turns to shake hands, it is directly in front of the viewers face and can be read without making the viewer glance elsewhere. If not wearing a coat, one can clip the tag to the right upper chest area of a shirt, or even the right shirt collar.

This is not rocket science, folks. The shows should ditch the hanging tags and provide clip-on tags with names (for those who have pre-registered) printed in large enough type to be read at a distance of several feet, and Sharpies for those without printed tags so they can make their own, or add their FPN name to the tag if they wish. If your show is not providing name tags, add a buck to the admission fee and do it. This will go a long way toward alleviating the "I went to the show but I couldn't tell who anyone was, so I didn't meet any of my online friends" lament that we hear repeatedly.

For those who attend shows regularly, it would be great for FPN to sell distinctive T-shirts or polo shirts with the FPN logo, making it easier for us to recognize a fellow-FPNer in a crowd.

Cafe Press sells several items with the FPN logo. Why can't they also sell batches of name tags with the logo in the upper corner and plenty of room to write ones name or avatar name? Let FPNers at the show buy them for 50 cents with the intake over cost of the cards going to support FPN. For a dollar, the plastic clip-on tag holder could be included.

Edited by Octo

We even tried to stop one guy wearing a FPN tag and all he did was look over his shoulder while saying hi...

I sincerely hope I was not that guy. I am always delighted to meet other FPN members.

Cafe Press sells several items with the FPN logo. Why can't they also sell batches of name tags with the logo in the upper corner and plenty of room to write ones name or avatar name? Let FPNers at the show buy them for 50 cents with the intake over cost of the cards going to support FPN. For a dollar, the plastic clip-on tag holder could be included.

I just looked on Cafe Press and didn't find the FPN items. What did you search for?

FPN should contract with Cafe Press to make shirts, mugs, etc. available for the members. FPN also should consider renting table space at the shows to sell these items and attract new members. I would be happy to volunteer a few hours manning the FPN table at the shows I attend.

We are like ships passing in the night, and we should put more effort into getting ourselves together.

I found the Cafe Press items. They show up in the shop on this site, not the Cafe Press site. Lots of good items.

Obviously, brother McCarty needs to get a life. Telling an organization which has managed to function successfully what it should be doing - why? - is like the man says, spitting in the wind.

There is an ulterior motive here that we need to know about. And, oh yes, next time you check out a mirror, you might see the person who has been ranting and raving here, but when he encountered a couple of us at the show, just kept on slithering down the road.

My further suggestion is to join the Dallas Pen Club and see if you can persuade them of the wisdom of your words. Good luck!

For now, it's time to turn it off, I think.

This was my first pen show. I went both Friday and Saturday. The place show was so visually overwhelming, I couldn't get my eyes off of the pens on Friday. I tried to notice/look at people on Saturday, and was successful for spurts of time. I think jmccarty3's suggestions would have been helpful. Something unique, colorful and simple would have helped me to do more than just wonder if the person next to me was an FPN member. But even so, it would likely have been late Saturday before I could process names and identities.

I am looking forward to returning in future years.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

• 2 weeks later...

The name tag issue just completely stumps me. I know that I was not given a name tag and, when I asked about one, they told me that they did not have them. Once inside, I noticed that a good number of folks had name tags. At first, I thought that they were vendors, but now I am guessing that this also included those who pre-registered. Even an adhesive name tag would have been something that folks could have written on. I can't think of an event of similar size that I have ever attended that hasn't has some sort of name tag for all of the attendees.

I may have to create something on my own for next year. The Cafe Press store has nice stuff, but I really wish they had a shirt with a pocket. Seriously, where am I going to put my pens?

Since I had to day-trip on Friday this year and was not there for the evening, was there any sort of after-hours FPN meet-up? Perhaps something like that can be organized in the future. Or maybe a FPN lunch or dinner.

Edited by deacondavid

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.