The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Have 3 Snorkels, Worth Restoring?

sheaffer snorkel repair admiral

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sfeccollector

Sfeccollector

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:31

Hello Everybody! 

i would be very thankful if you would advise. i have 3 snorkels: Snorkel Sentinel Black, Snorkel Admiral Pastel Green, Snorkel Admiral Burgundy. These need to be restored, but i am not sure what exactly the restoration with include. I am only sure that the inside mechanism needs to be fixed as the filling mechanism works but doesnt fill. The pen body will need to be polished. 

I am not sure whether it is a good idea, and how much the restoration could cost?  probably it would be easier to sell the unrestored ones and buy already restored?

Plus i am not 100% sure i will leave these in my collection.  

Would be thankful for any of your advices! 

Attached Images

• 20150326_181008_HDR_dehazedq.jpg

Sincerely, 

Dennis 

Sponsored Content

#2 Shaporama

Shaporama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:55

They look like Admirals, non-white dot, and with an open nib and thus not typically as valuable as those with a Triumph nib and possibly a gold cap.  Restored they are probably worth US$80 to US$100.  In the US it will likely cost you $40 to get each pen working again; but you might have to wait months.  Only you know if this makes economic sense and is worth the wait.

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,099 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2015 - 15:30

It's a fairly simple restoration project and good directions are available online.  Kits with the parts you will need should cost less than $20.00 US each.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#4 bsenn

bsenn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:39

Try it yourself. http://dirck.delint....ta/?page_id=709

If you don't want to try it yourself Danny Fudge is quick. Thewritepen.net

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

#5 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:17

Admiral is one of my favorite pens. Way better than a boring Parker 45. What are the nibs? Do they have sizes on them? Are the filler tubes gold or steel?

Admiral is a great knockabout pens. Sadly one of the reasons I love them is that they can be found pretty cheap so they are not worth a lot but are great pens worth restoring. If you don't dig them you should sell them to someone who will restore them and put them back in use.

I love the Admrial. Some of the nibs are quite springy. 

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

#6 ClockOnHR

ClockOnHR

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:04

It probably won't easy to sell, too because there are literally too many snorkels (inc. statesman type) broken or parts for repair status. 

If the nibs are smooth enough to write, I also would suggest you to keep it and try restore yourself because in some cases, shipping might cost more than unrestored snorkel.

#7 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2015 - 21:48

Folks - I'm ok with the first question, but the forum rules really are designed so that we don't have the pen discussion forums turning into for sale listings.  I hid the post that was going in that direction.  

Please don't start a thread asking about whether it's worth restoring something and then following that with a post that the items are for sale elsewhere.  That's essentially makes it a for sale thread.

I don't often have to moderate posts here - thanks!

#8 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 22:45

Folks - I'm ok with the first question, but the forum rules really are designed so that we don't have the pen discussion forums turning into for sale listings.  I hid the post that was going in that direction.  

Please don't start a thread asking about whether it's worth restoring something and then following that with a post that the items are for sale elsewhere.  That's essentially makes it a for sale thread.

I don't often have to moderate posts here - thanks!

Would it have been acceptable if the OP just put a link to where the item is for sale below his name?

#9 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2015 - 23:13

Sorry - no. We really want to separate selling and pen discussion. A link is still a way to turn discussions into sales.

Thanks

#10 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:24

Sorry - no. We really want to separate selling and pen discussion. A link is still a way to turn discussions into sales.

Thanks

So no links to selling below names/signatures?  No banners presenting company names or websites? Is that for everyone, including moderators?

#11 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:50

So no links to selling below names/signatures?  No banners presenting company names or websites? Is that for everyone, including moderators?

Perhaps I musunderstood - there is no restriction on signatures.  

#12 FPgal

FPgal

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2015 - 19:21

As someone who had a Snorkel as one of the first fountain pens (when I was twelve), I would say they are worth the time for restoration. The nib on mine was wonderful. I now own a few more and have enjoyed them over the years. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, snorkel, repair, admiral

Sponsored Content

|