The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pants Pocket Carry - Roll Call

foundtain pens pens pants pockets pockets carry

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Mannyonpil

Mannyonpil

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:26

The thing that most befuddles me are the reports about pens snapping or breaking in the pocket. Back pockets, yes, I can see if one sits down with one's weight on a pen, but I'm trying to figure out whether front pocket stress is enough to do something like that.

As I've said, I've carried my vintage celluloid pens, a la Esterbrooks and Sheaffers, for sometime now in my front pockets, nib up, with a sleeve, and haven't seen cracks or signs of damage. 

In my case, I had the pen in my front pocket when it snapped.

I still shudder to think of it.

Sponsored Content

#42 Baalberithim

Baalberithim

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:09

I carry them in my front pant pocket.  My Franklin-Christoph p40 is loose with a bullet pencil, a couple of wooden pencils and a spyderco knife.  The other two go in my Nock Co hightower.  If I'm particularly worried that a pen would be too brittle it just stays at home.  My work shirts don't have deep enough pockets to securely clip my pens in, and I'd hate for a pen to slip out and drop down the drain on me or something.  Even if I manage to avoid that, I'd still have to worry about it all getting coated in fish guts.

#43 spaceink

spaceink

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:27

Time marches on and the holster was dethroned by the pocket protector. Try and find those today. Staples used to carry them but it seems not anymore.

I just ordered a pocket protector off the bay, which I think I'll modify to make less visible. Would be a nice option for when I wear a shirt with a pocket. 

Also, it seems you can get those holsters via Amzn or the bay; the utility, no-frills designs I seem seem like they're made for uniformed folks, like police or EMT. Just google "Pen belt holster."

#44 Reevers

Reevers

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2015 - 17:30

When I'm not suited at work, I wear jeans. My TWSBIs survive just fine in my jean pockets. I'm not sure I'd stuff anything more expensive in there though.

Matt

#45 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 19:20

When I carry a Pilot Petit1 I always carry it in my left-front trouser pocket.  Any other pen goes into the shirt pocket or clipped to my shirt placket.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

#46 Parse Error

Parse Error

Not broken... yet

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2015 - 21:01

During the winter, all my pens go in my chest pocket of my coat, next to my lighter and cigarettes, to keep them from freezing up.

Visconti Homo Sapiens; Lamy 2000; Unicomp Endurapro keyboard.

Free your mind -- go write

#47 RudyR

RudyR

Man O' Blues

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:14

Two pens I carry with confidence in my jeans, khaki or any pant pocket are:

Pilot Petit 1

Kaweco Ice Sport

All others would not pass my test.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: foundtain pens, pens, pants pockets, pockets, carry

Sponsored Content

|