Os Jade Convertible Balance?

Brian-McQueen

The 1930 Sheaffer Catalog illustrates the new "three-in-one convertible pocket and desk fountain pen." These pens have a rear end that unscrews from the pen that can be replaced with a desk taper. The catalogs shows the colors and sizes available as Black, Marine Green, Black and Pearl, in either the 74 size (full length lifetime, standard girth) or the 5-30 size (same size, non-lifetime).

At the Raleigh show this year, I picked up a really clean Jade Oversize pen which appears to have been designed as a convertible. Has anyone else seen a convertible in Jade? Or in OS? As far as I know, there isn't an OS sized desk socket...

19298455070_dc2619eea5_b.jpg

19459961466_1b065630a9_b.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• Brian-McQueen

• Lazard 20

• Roger W.

These appear not to be convertibles, but rather an alternative construction method for pocket pens (some of the end caps are fused on), perhaps making use of turned back flat top stock in later examples. Does you pen have the rectangular imprint block generally seen on flat tops, with patent dates?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Most conical and "jumped" barrel end makes me to think that this really is a Balance barrel and not a flat top turned barrel..

Edited by Lazard 20

Most conical barrel end makes me think that this really is a Balance barrel and not a flat top turned barrel..

Flat top barrels actually taper along similar lines as do Balance barrels. The diameter is similar at the spot of the joint on these pens with two-piece barrels.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

Flat top barrels actually taper along similar lines as do Balance barrels. The diameter is similar at the spot of the joint on these pens with two-piece barrels.

--Daniel

You have said it; "similar", but I say it's not similar, it's a Balance barrel.

The 1930 Sheaffer Catalog illustrates the new "three-in-one convertible pocket and desk fountain pen." These pens have a rear end that unscrews from the pen that can be replaced with a desk taper. The catalogs shows the colors and sizes available as Black, Marine Green, Black and Pearl, in either the 74 size (full length lifetime, standard girth) or the 5-30 size (same size, non-lifetime).

At the Raleigh show this year, I picked up a really clean Jade Oversize pen which appears to have been designed as a convertible. Has anyone else seen a convertible in Jade? Or in OS? As far as I know, there isn't an OS sized desk socket...

19298455070_dc2619eea5_b.jpg

19459961466_1b065630a9_b.jpg

I've actually never seen the convertibles. Would be helpful to see the same connector on a convertible to see if this could connect to the tapers used for the desk pen. It's a really cool pen regardless, but if you could get a taper, and it fits, and a desk base you'd have a killer desk pen.

Andrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Can't be a desk pen as there are no OS desk sockets. Convertibles are much smaller and shorter regardless of the connector being similar.

Roger W.

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/Convertible1.jpg

You have said it; "similar", but I say it's not similar, it's a Balance barrel.

The end of a flat top barrel tapers similarly to that of a Balance barrel up to the spot of the joint seen in these two-piece barrels. It is not widely known that flat top barrels taper at the end in this way, but an examination of some flat top barrels will confirm what I am pointing out.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

The end of a flat top barrel tapers similarly to that of a Balance barrel up to the spot of the joint seen in these two-piece barrels. It is not widely known that flat top barrels taper at the end in this way, but an examination of some flat top barrels will confirm what I am pointing out.

--Daniel

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Misc/Tapered_barrel_end_1.jpg

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Can't be a desk pen as there are no OS desk sockets. Convertibles are much smaller and shorter regardless of the connector being similar.

Also, the taper is more slender to match the standard-girth convertible pen barrel, so it would not match the larger-diameter OS barrel though it uses the same thread diameter/pitch stud.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

The jade pen in question has a block imprint with dates. Here is a picture.

19312829930_6148200155_h.jpg

At the same time, I have an earlier Balance with the longer barrel and an end which is fused on, but a different imprint

19312913098_32bfc3eac6_h.jpg

The block imprint is the one I've seen on these later two-piece Balance barrels. As that is the imprint that was used on flat tops at the time the Balance was introduced, it is consistent with the hypothesis that these barrels were originally intended for flat top pens.

There are longtail Balances with one-piece barrels that bear the same block imprint with patent dates, as well as more commonly-found longtail examples with the imprint ending in "PAD'D -- PAT. PENDING." However, I do not recall seeing short-tail one-piece-barrel Balances with the patent-date block imprint. Again, this is consistent with the hypothesis that these barrels were not intended to be Balance barrels at the time of imprinting.

The imprint location might provide some useful evidence here, but the location was not entirely consistent, so it might be difficult to make a definitive statement about whether already-imprinted flat top barrels were or were not used for some two-piece Balance barrels.

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

Daniel Kirchheimer

I was unable to match up the imprint location of the Jade balance pen with the location of the imprint on any of my flat-tops of the same size. However, I only had 3 to compare against.

What do you make of the long tail fused-end pen with the "PATENTED" imprint? It seemingly refutes the idea of a flat-top barrel being re-used.

To put the notion of the pen being an oversized pocket/desk pen to bed, I'll note that stickered examples of these pens bear the same model number as otherwise-identical one-piece-barrel pens. This tends to support the idea that they were a construction variation, not a distinct model.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Note that the Half Balance, which was an apparent effort to use up turned-back flat top barrels, appeared at about the same time that these short-tail two-piece Balance pens would have been issued, at the earliest. This is also consistent with the idea that Sheaffer was looking for ways not to waste components that might otherwise have sat in inventory for quite some time.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

I was unable to match up the imprint location of the Jade balance pen with the location of the imprint on any of my flat-tops of the same size. However, I only had 3 to compare against.

What do you make of the long tail fused-end pen with the "PATENTED" imprint? It seemingly refutes the idea of a flat-top barrel being re-used.

I've matched up a few, though most flat tops seem to have the imprint closer to the point end of the barrel.

There are several possibilities regarding the longtail two-piece barrels with imprints other than the one seen on flat tops of the era -- that is, with imprints typical of one-piece-barrel Balances from the same period. The hypothesis I favor at this point is that the barrels were new manufacture using a two-piece construction, driven by the fact that the one piece design required solid rod stock, but Sheaffer had been using bored tube for all its flat top production (the flat top caps and barrels were closed with an inserted disc of celluloid), so Sheaffer might have wanted to make use of that on-hand (and likely on-order) tube stock, as it was rapidly becoming clear that flat top demand was plummeting. Obviously, the tube stock would not have yet borne any imprints. Note that there could have been a significant pipeline of tube stock that needed to be utilized, as the rod was bored before the celluloid cured; then, dry warm air was blown through the tubes to accelerate curing, but this process still took several months, if I recall correctly.

The later short-tail two-piece Balance barrels might have been a resourceful use of already-fabricated flat top barrels.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

I figured that this was not ever designed to be used as a desk pen, as I didn't believe there was an OS desk socket. We are having a similar discussion about this pen over at FPB: http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6982-os-jade-balance-convertible-pen. I invite you to check it out. Daniel, I have paraphrased some of your thoughts over there.

If it is the case that all flat-top barrels are tube stock that was plugged with a disc, and these pens are modified flat-top barrels, shouldn't we see remnants of the plug? I will have to look at mine more closely a little later.

If it is the case that all flat-top barrels are tube stock that was plugged with a disc, and these pens are modified flat-top barrels, shouldn't we see remnants of the plug? I will have to look at mine more closely a little later.

Yes and no.

The Balance barrels' joint is not at the point where a flat top's barrel would end; it's short of that by a bit. However, the end of the two-piece barrel is plugged with a thicker piece of material that is threaded; close examination of the barrel end will reveal the discontinuity in pattern indicative of the seam between barrel shell and plug.

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

Daniel Kirchheimer

Quick photo:

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Misc/Sheaffer_Quilled_Balance_Plug_Evidence_for_Conversion_Detail.jpg

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

The jade pen in question has a block imprint with dates. Here is a picture.

19312829930_6148200155_h.jpg

This is normal and expected because the block imprint with patent dates remained in the Balance desk pens. Tomorrow I´m going to upload 6 or 8 photos with diferents Balance desk pens with block imprint... included some marine green with block imprint (marine green that always was Balance).

Note also that your fountain pen with pin lever (not ring lever) is more typical of Balance era.

Footnote.- Precisely "the suspect" as desk pen could be your black one :) .

Edited by Lazard 20