Here's a nice example of this famous model. I have not before seen the herringbone chasing on a Minor nor a cap band.

It is stamped on the end of the barrel SM2-60 which suggests that it is quite early; probably about 1932.

Cob

fpn_1436134036__swan_sm2_60.jpg

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cob

• Cepasaccus

• missuslovett

• Greenie

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like quite a wet line. Do the stamps on the end of the barrel fizzle out, then?

That looks like quite a wet line. Do the stamps on the end of the barrel fizzle out, then?

Unusually for a pen I have rebuilt it is not especially wet.

Your question is quite tricky; I have seen leverless pens e.g the L205/47 and L330/64 both of which I have sold (sadly) which had their numbers stamped on the filling knob. The 205 was probably 1933 or thereabouts but I suspect that the 330 was a bit later. I am forever getting Swans that have no numbers stamped on them and constantly have to explain their model types when putting them up for sale. I have made jokes about Mabie Todd's number-stamping man being asleep at the switch. Here's an example:

fpn_1436144389__1.jpg

In theory it's a L470/60, but these usually had hallmarked gold cap bands (I think); mine would appear to be plate. Mabie Todd would do this as well - make a model slightly different in some minor way from the standard: say one cap band instead of two, and confused I presume, found themselves unable to number it!

Sometime in the mid to late 'thirties Mabie Todd started stamping the numbers (when they could be bothered) close to the end of the barrel - Blackbirds incidentally were the same. This continued - erratically - more or less until the end.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

"when they could be bothered"... I like that! It seems delightfully British. That's interesting info, none the less. I'll try and bear it in mind when I'm hunting, though I have a fear of numbers that's left over from my less than successful maths schooling.

"when they could be bothered"... I like that! It seems delightfully British. That's interesting info, none the less. I'll try and bear it in mind when I'm hunting, though I have a fear of numbers that's left over from my less than successful maths schooling.

Oh! Don't start adding or subtracting Mabie Todd numbers! It's confusing enough as it is, but then MT were never as hopeless as Conway Stewart; their numbering was a total shambles!

Cob

I have a 410/89 (marked on barrel) shown next to a pen that looks just like Cob's.

The caps are interchangeable and measurements identical. So I have decided the black one is a 410/60

My older leverless have relatively flat ended knobs, and usually have the number on the end of the knob.

My Swan Snakeskins have numbers on the barrel, and slightly pointier knobs.

fpn_1436330399__img_2032.jpg

Edited by Greenie

Thanks Greenie; two very nice examples there; the 410 is a new one to me!

Perhaps the 7 in 470 meant a solid gold band? I just had a look at the pen and the knob has a slight point to it. It would be interesting to know if the 1060 had an identical predecessor with a different number. We all know of course about L212/60 which became 0160.

Endless possibilities for Mabie Todd maniacs to discuss numbering aren't there!

Cob