In A League Of Its Own : The Pilot Custom 823

sannidh

Yet another great review. I really like your taste too.

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Frank C

• tinkerteacher

• Betweenthelines

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice pen, but unfortuntately the nib was too glassy smooth on it, I prefer my oversized sheaffer vac filled balances to it

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have the 823 with a broad nib. It writes beautifully. It wrote so well I did not sent it to Pendleton Brown immediately. However, I wrote with it progressively less. As nice as it was, it could not compare with my numerous CIs that I carry every day. After a while I didn’t pick it up. So off it went to PB. When it returns, I expect to use it. Of course it must still compete with my exquisite regulars. At least now, it will be competing on a more level playing field.

Since receiving my Custom 823 with a fine nib, I have used it almost exclusively while at work. I learned to fill it to maximum capacity on YouTube, and a fill lasts me at least two months. I am using Pilot Blue/Black. This ink dries quickly, and while my Custom 823 with a medium nib is a wonderful pen, the fine nib is much better for the forms I have to complete (for many insurance coverage issues, I have to sign the same form an average of four times). It functions well on all sorts of paper.

I have many pens that are more expensive, more rare, more beautiful, or more interesting, but for what I need at work, this pen meets all my requirements.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Such a wonderful review!

After my years with Omega and Rolex, I fell in love with my Grand Seiko for its simplicity and extreme attention to details.

To me 823 is the Grand Seiko of pens.

Since receiving my Custom 823 with a fine nib, I have used it almost exclusively while at work. I learned to fill it to maximum capacity on YouTube, and a fill lasts me at least two months. I am using Pilot Blue/Black. This ink dries quickly, and while my Custom 823 with a medium nib is a wonderful pen, the fine nib is much better for the forms I have to complete (for many insurance coverage issues, I have to sign the same form an average of four times). It functions well on all sorts of paper.

I have many pens that are more expensive, more rare, more beautiful, or more interesting, but for what I need at work, this pen meets all my requirements.

jmccarty3...

I fill out contracts all day as well however I don't want to run the Traditional Pilot Inks through my MB's. I usually use HP Premium Choice...how does the Traditional Pilot Inks play with normal copy paper...paper I have to sign that I can't control. I like that the ink has some water resistance where MB inks do not...I know the Traditional Pilot Ink will play well with HP Premium Choice. Pilot Blue is too light and Black I can't tell if an original or not so Pilot Blue Black would be great.

Regards,

David

jmccarty3...

I fill out contracts all day as well however I don't want to run the Traditional Pilot Inks through my MB's. I usually use HP Premium Choice...how does the Traditional Pilot Inks play with normal copy paper...paper I have to sign that I can't control. I like that the ink has some water resistance where MB inks do not...I know the Traditional Pilot Ink will play well with HP Premium Choice. Pilot Blue is too light and Black I can't tell if an original or not so Pilot Blue Black would be great.

I think you would find Pilot Blue-Black to be quite satisfactory. There is some bleed-through with really poor paper, but that's going to happen with just about any ink. I keep trying other things and then going back to it.

I think you would find Pilot Blue-Black to be quite satisfactory. There is some bleed-through with really poor paper, but that's going to happen with just about any ink. I keep trying other things and then going back to it.

jmccarty3...

Is the nib and feed friction fit...

And the pen I take is easier to clean than a MB...

Thanks Again.

David

jmccarty3...

Is the nib and feed friction fit...

And the pen I take is easier to clean than a MB...

Pilot doesn't recommend pulling their nibs, although they are friction fit. No need for frequent or immaculate cleaning with Pilot Blue-Black. The Custom 823 is not a pen for those who change inks often.

• 8 months later...

Such a wonderful review!

After my years with Omega and Rolex, I fell in love with my Grand Seiko for its simplicity and extreme attention to details.

To me 823 is the Grand Seiko of pens.

That's really an apt comparison. Thank you.

that is very true. It's a workhorse pen with a great ink capacity. The flow of pilot bb still amazes me.

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

I like my MB 149 however I'm thinking about changing it up and getting my first Japanese pen. I have a few 149's grinded down to a Pilot Fine which I believe is 0.30 mm.

My question is if I buy the pen direct from Japan am I going to get nailed by customs for import taxes and duties that I would pay more for the pen than if I just bought it in the US. I have heard horror stories about this.

Regards,

David