In A League Of Its Own : The Pilot Custom 823

sannidh

Thanks for the review Sonik. I had this pen for a couple of years but got rid of it in 2013. I bought it in the smoke finish from Pam Braun and it came in a beautiful box with Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku.

It was a wonderful writer and held a ton of ink but it was annoying (imo) to unscrew the filling knob 2mm before writing. Though I regret that I did not come across posts that show the rubber seal which blocks the ink reservoir could be removed to mitigate this problem, or feature. I guess if I know about that, I wouldn't have let go of it.

The Japanese sellers seem to have these for around $200 which is a great deal.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Frank C

• tinkerteacher

• Betweenthelines

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just had very positive experience with the Pen House on Rakuten.

I bought a clear 823 broad for $211USD all in.

They were very good to deal with and the pen is excellent.

Only the usual F M B nib selection though :(

I just got a pen from them - I think. The checkout process says that the sale is not complete until the seller notifies me of the shipping price and I accept, but it's been 24 hours and no notification. Is this normal?

Am I the only one here who doesn't insist that every nib be flex?

James

I just got a pen from them - I think. The checkout process says that the sale is not complete until the seller notifies me of the shipping price and I accept, but it's been 24 hours and no notification. Is this normal?

That's normal.

They will soon send a payment amount and depending on how you are paying maybe a link to Paypal.

Shipping was 5 days later for me and it arrives remarkably fast from Japan.

Thanks for the review Sonik. I had this pen for a couple of years but got rid of it in 2013. I bought it in the smoke finish from Pam Braun and it came in a beautiful box with Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku.

It was a wonderful writer and held a ton of ink but it was annoying (imo) to unscrew the filling knob 2mm before writing. Though I regret that I did not come across posts that show the rubber seal which blocks the ink reservoir could be removed to mitigate this problem, or feature. I guess if I know about that, I wouldn't have let go of it.

I just leave the knob unscrewed all the time, unless I am traveling by airplane. I have shown people the pen and they are concerned about it, but it doesn't bother me. Personally, I would rather retain the ability to shut off the ink supply as needed. This may be too little, too late.

I am not crazy about flex nibs, either. Having studied metal fatigue, a little, I know that continually flexing a nib will eventually cause it to fail. I like writing with fountain pens because I don't have to hold them tightly to press the nib onto the paper. I believe that you and I are in the minority, here, though. Sheen is a property of ink that I don't care about either. I believe that I am turning into a curmudgeon.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

A great review and thread worthy of a great pen.

I recently picked up an amber 823 second hand. I didn't notice it before buying, but there is large ink ring/stain around and under the inner cap cup. I was only able to get rid of a little of it with a wet cotton swab. Can the inner cap cup be removed?

I've been thinking of getting a ultrasonic cleaner; perhaps that would do the trick.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I've been thinking of getting a ultrasonic cleaner; perhaps that would do the trick.

In another thread, a product called Sailor Do-You was recommended for removing ink residue. I can't vouch for its effectiveness myself since I've never used it.

Edited to clarify.

Edited by Manalto

James

Frank I always go through your comments multiple times because they reveal an interesting story behind each pen, be it a capless one or a hefty 823. And many times from your story, I borrow ideas to use a particular pen. Thanks for sharing your rationale for inks from the same manufacturer. I usually limit it to Country of manufacture :)

You comment further motivates me to get a Broad nib of Smoke 823 :) and I guess Hari would have already inked his 823 again.

Regards,

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

Amazing detailed review, with gorgeous pictures.

The amber colour with gold trim looks superb.

Thanks

Thank you for your amazing comment. The amber does showoff superbly in light, smoke seem to be its understated brother :)

Tokyo Pen Shop Quill

http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom823.htm

With the recent sharp rise in the US Dollar (is the USA economy the only one not going down in flames?) to Yen exchange rate, they're selling the Pilot 823 with FA or WA for under $250 at the moment.

A too good to pass up deal unfortunately.

Thanks for sharing tinkerteacher and that's quite true for their custom versions. I am kind of interested in their red 845, I recently had a word with Yasukazu (their manager), he seemed to have gone through few of the pilot reviews too :glare: . Let's see what work out best :D

I just had very positive experience with the Pen House on Rakuten.

I bought a clear 823 broad for $211USD all in.

They were very good to deal with and the pen is excellent.

Only the usual F M B nib selection though :(

That a very good deal :rolleyes:

I think you should give the 823 a try again :)

If you like the feel and comfort of the pen, I guess the valve issue is a small one. Probably you can always keep the knob open, I sometimes do that.

Thank you for going through the review.

I also had the experience of finding the paypal link in mail on a Monday having ordered on Thursday from some of the rakuten sellers.

I am with you James, on the flex side of the nibs (I am ok with one odd Italic flex, but do not wish to have many)

Regards,

Sonik

A great review and thread worthy of a great pen.

I recently picked up an amber 823 second hand. I didn't notice it before buying, but there is large ink ring/stain around and under the inner cap cup. I was only able to get rid of a little of it with a wet cotton swab. Can the inner cap cup be removed?

Thank you Striated for your gracious feedback.

Can you get the inner cap out by following the below steps (I was successful with a twsbi 580 which had the same issue):

1. Take a wooden pencil (I used a standard #2 or larger) and insert the eraser into the cap.

2. Bend the cap in one direction, while putting pressure on the eraser in the opposite direction

3. Slowly use the friction created by the eraser to pull out the inner cap, clearing the ink

4. Wash the ink out (I used a water and dish soap mixture to thoroughly clean out both the inner and main caps, but plain water is also fine)

5. Re-insert the inner cap, and screw the pen back in, and it will friction-fit it back into it's original position. You can also push it in with the eraser if you prefer

PS: It was a mail from Philip @ TWSBI to one of our FPN members.

Regards,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

I also had the experience of finding the paypal link in mail on a Monday having ordered on Thursday from some of the rakuten sellers.

I am with you James, on the flex side of the nibs (I am ok with one odd Italic flex, but do not wish to have many)

The thing to remember is that all those stores on Rakuten are little Japanese versions of mom and pop corner store outfits with very little actual stock on hand. For various economic and cultural reasons the Japanese don't go in for big giant chain stores.

So when you order from them, they have to turn around and order from the manufacturers themselves. It's something taken for granted in Japan, but a little strange for USAians with Walmarts that stock 50 different kinds of breakfast cereal

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

[T]inker teacher, have you purchased from the Tokyo Pen Shop Quill before? If so, how was the service? They seem like a very reputable store. I have been looking at their clear Custom 823s for years. And that 845 in vermillion is beautiful.

Yes, it's a very reputable store that is in it's 3rd generation of owners I believe. Their products are great and shipping is good. And by good I mean he packs everything securely so that there is no damage whatsoever in transit.

Also, about your democracy comment on vermillion custom 845, I believe Pilot was initially reluctant to make it at all. I am sure that the shop pays a premium or something to Pilot Japan for manufacturing it apart from the usual mark-up.

I bought Pilot Custom 823 in smoke last week for $170.

The thing to remember is that all those stores on Rakuten are little Japanese versions of mom and pop corner store outfits with very little actual stock on hand. For various economic and cultural reasons the Japanese don't go in for big giant chain stores.

So when you order from them, they have to turn around and order from the manufacturers themselves. It's something taken for granted in Japan, but a little strange for USAians with Walmarts that stock 50 different kinds of breakfast cereal

I had some sellers reply that they have placed an order with Sailor/Pilot/Platinum and it will take a week and if it was fine :)

Edited by soniknitr

Frank I always go through your comments multiple times because they reveal an interesting story behind each pen, be it a capless one or a hefty 823. And many times from your story, I borrow ideas to use a particular pen. Thanks for sharing your rationale for inks from the same manufacturer. I usually limit it to Country of manufacture :)

You comment further motivates me to get a Broad nib of Smoke 823 :) and I guess Hari would have already inked his 823 again.

Regards,

Sonik

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate all the work you put into your pen reviews. I still haven't figured out how to post an avatar, much less a photo. One of these days . . . . I have a Pilot Bamboo and a Custom 74 with broad nibs. As you know, it is broad, but not too broad. I almost always use fine nibs at work, although lately, I have been taking a stub nib with me as well for signatures, in addition to the fines. Pen people like Richard Binder, draw a distinction between inks made by pen companies and those made by ink companies. People have tried to put my "ink rules" into print form, here is an example:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/245296-pen-and-ink-filling-rules-how-do-you-choose-ink-pen-combinations/

She didn't them exactly correct, but it was a start.

Yes, it's a very reputable store that is in it's 3rd generation of owners I believe. Their products are great and shipping is good. And by good I mean he packs everything securely so that there is no damage whatsoever in transit.

Also, about your democracy comment on vermillion custom 845, I believe Pilot was initially reluctant to make it at all. I am sure that the shop pays a premium or something to Pilot Japan for manufacturing it apart from the usual mark-up.

I bought Pilot Custom 823 in smoke last week for $170.

Thanks for the information. Their web site is very impressive and they sound like dedicated fountain pen people. I am glad to hear about their good service.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thank you Striated for your gracious feedback.

Can you get the inner cap out by following the below steps (I was successful with a twsbi 580 which had the same issue):

1. Take a wooden pencil (I used a standard #2 or larger) and insert the eraser into the cap.

2. Bend the cap in one direction, while putting pressure on the eraser in the opposite direction

3. Slowly use the friction created by the eraser to pull out the inner cap, clearing the ink

4. Wash the ink out (I used a water and dish soap mixture to thoroughly clean out both the inner and main caps, but plain water is also fine)

5. Re-insert the inner cap, and screw the pen back in, and it will friction-fit it back into it's original position. You can also push it in with the eraser if you prefer

Regards,

Sonik

Thank you for the tip, but it wouldn't work for me. Perhaps the Pilot inner cap is attached more securely than TWSBI's.

Edited by Striated

~ George Orwell

In another thread, a product called Sailor Do-You was recommended for removing ink residue. I can't vouch for its effectiveness myself since I've never used it.

Edited to clarify.

Thank you, but I only found a Sailor ink by that name.

~ George Orwell

Thank you, but I only found a Sailor ink by that name.

I was the one who recommended Sailor Do-You ink (part of their regular Jentle Four Seasons ink line) in another thread for removing internal staining in demonstrators. What ever, banned in the West, super-lubricating chemicals Sailor puts in Do-You does wondrous things for the cleaning out the internal components and freeing up any sticking mechanisms of fountain pens.

Unfortunately, in your case of staining between the inner and outer caps of the 823s cap, Do-You wouldn't be of help. You could try soaking the cap overnight in an ammonia and dish liquid solution, and hope the ammonia doesn't react with the 823s plastic or metal. But, I think your first inclination to use an ultra-sonic cleaner would have the best results.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens