Schrade Tactical Fountain Pen

musicman123

This post is also live on my blog at http://inkoutsidethebottle.tk/ so please check it out there!

The Schrade Tactical is a rugged all-purpose fountain pen built out of anodized aluminum that looks like it can take a beating and dish out one too! This pen sure lives up to its "Tactical" name and is a nice novelty pen. This pen also comes with a convenient rollerball conversion set, but for this review, I'll be focusing on the fountain pen. The rollerball is nice though for when fountain pens are somewhat inappropriate.

http://www.inkoutsidethebottle.tk/content/images/2015/07/IMG_0038.jpg

The pen has quite a utilitarian appearance and is not very flashy. It seems like a work-horse pen and has a matte finish. I do not see any chance for scratching as it is made with a scratch resistant aluminum. The design choices are quite interesting. Along the main body of the pen, there are indented grooves. Near the end, the pen has a couple of horizontal slits followed by a tapered end with a small point.

The section of the pen is made of the same metal as the body and thus is a good synergy to the rest of the pen. The section is not very slippery unlike some metal sections (ahem... Nemosine Fission) and has a couple lines of knurling to help with the grip. The cap has a very stiff black clip held on by two small screws. The cap screws onto the body of the pen and also posts by screwing on.

The pen has a good solid feel to it. Despite being made of metal, it is not overly heavy. All the pieces of the pen glide together quite well and there does not appear to be any manufacturing seams visible to the naked eye. I feel the pen would be fine dropped on the floor from table height, as long as it is capped.

The pen comes in at 5.8125" (14.8cm) capped, 5.375" (13.7cm) uncapped, and 7.25" (18.4cm) posted. It is quite a long pen so I normally would not post it. Some people with larger hands may be able to post it comfortably.

The nib is a standard steel #6 nib made by Schmidt and is available only in a Medium (M). The nib I got is quite smooth and lays down a wet line. There is tiny bit of spring to it, but is still quite firm. The line is about as thick as I imagined it, if not a hair thicker. The nib is removable and swappable with any other #6 nib (except Noodler's) if that is your wish.

Here is a writing sample of the pen! The pen is filled with Private Reserve Plum and the paper is HP 32lb Premium Laser paper.

https://youtu.be/HcHQKXlZC1U

The pen retails for $40, but can be picked up elsewhere for deep discounts. I personally think this pen is well worth its price.

Edited by musicman123

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J85909266

• musicman123

• Starguard

• Brianm_14

MusicMan123...Thanks for the awesome review. I just ordered one on AmazonUSA for $17.87. Awesome deal. Looking forward to getting it. I love the color...and fountain pen that converts to ballpoint or rollerball. Can't get much better than that. Should be fun to play with.

ETA: spelling corrections

MusicMan123...Thanks for the awesome review. I just ordered one on AmazonUSA for $17.87. Awesome deal. Looking forward to getting it. I love the color...and fountain pen that converts to ballpoint or rollerball. Can't get much better than that. Should be fun to play with.

ETA: spelling corrections

I got my own off of eBay for the around $18 also. I'm quite excited for it! :)

So what makes it "tactical"?

Is this what the military is issuing to privates nowadays?

I think the "tactical" may be a bit of a marketing ploy? It seems durable and possibly able to use as a weapon? A well-aimed jab at a jugular with this seems to be able to do some damage. Just some ideas. :) :P

I got my own off of eBay for the around $18 also. I'm quite excited for it! :)

I think the "tactical" may be a bit of a marketing ploy? It seems durable and possibly able to use as a weapon? A well-aimed jab at a jugular with this seems to be able to do some damage. Just some ideas. :) :P

It has a pointed end. That can be used as a glass breaker as well as a weapon. Although such a "weapon" wouldn't do much damage i guess. But still a good glass breaker in case one is stuck inside a car wreck? Nice review bdw. Interesting pen. :)

These take #6 replacement nibs quite nicely. I put a Goulet nib in mine and it writes like a champion.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

This looks really interesting. I may just have to order one. But, does it take a converter? What kind?

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Mine came with a nib that couldn't be saved. Came with a minuscule amount of tipping could only ever be turned into a stub. Found an old Jinhao and stuck that nib in. Section is quite comfortable I suppose, but I wouldn't carry it around in old Britbong. Don't think the rozzers would take kindly to it.

This looks really interesting. I may just have to order one. But, does it take a converter? What kind?

This pen does take a standard international converter. However, it does not come with one sadly. A cheap Jinhao one will fit. :)

Tactical pens are a marketing gimmick to a good degree, but as a class usually can be used to shatter tempered rear or side glass on an auto. They seem to have been intended for use as police or self-defense Kobutan- or Persuader-type devices, which are not a gimmick; these are commonly made of metal or plastic and can be used on numerous pain pressure points on the body.

Ironically, the method was originally devised to employ Cross ball-point pens, so things have come full circle.

Brian

Tactical pens are a marketing gimmick to a good degree, but as a class usually can be used to shatter tempered rear or side glass on an auto. They seem to have been intended for use as police or self-defense Kobutan- or Persuader-type devices, which are not a gimmick; these are commonly made of metal or plastic and can be used on numerous pain pressure points on the body.

Ironically, the method was originally devised to employ Cross ball-point pens, so things have come full circle.

1498994_1060817107268829_538940972547877

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

So what makes it "tactical"?

What makes it NOT Tactical?

Love this pen; just got it in the mail and it is very smooth. The weight is nice, also! Thanks for the review!

This pen is a crazy good value if you like the aesthetics.

- Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought 2 here in the UK for 1/2 price, I have been looking for these for years ! Bronze and black on their way ;)

I picked up one awhile ago, earlier reviews said a standard converter wouldn't fit unless modified so I bought the mini converter from Monteverde, but thanks to this review I put in an extra standard converter I had lying around and it fits perfectly! I always get a lot of notice when I use it, It's a wet writer and I put Noodler's Heart of Darkness in it. This one pen should almost automatically make you a member of the Black Pen Society! Eventually I'm thinking of putting a stub on it or an italic. The copper version is very striking too!

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

1487776_1156155461068326_225261123724669

Love this pen!

- Joe

I picked up one awhile ago, earlier reviews said a standard converter wouldn't fit unless modified so I bought the mini converter from Monteverde, but thanks to this review I put in an extra standard converter I had lying around and it fits perfectly! I always get a lot of notice when I use it, It's a wet writer and I put Noodler's Heart of Darkness in it. This one pen should almost automatically make you a member of the Black Pen Society! Eventually I'm thinking of putting a stub on it or an italic. The copper version is very striking too!

Glad I could help!!! I think a stub on this one would be awesome!