• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swanjun

• jmccarty3

• amberleadavis

• ink-syringe

I'm definitely another that really misses Sailor Sky High. Can't find that mix if color, shading, sheen, and behavior anywhere else. Luckily I've got a pretty full bottle.

I've also read that Pelikan recently changed the formula of 4001 Blue-Black. If that's true, I'll definitely miss it when my current bottle is up. One of my favorites.

I'm pretty lucky - I love easily and I am fickle. So while I like discontinued inks, usually I am pretty happy to move onto something new. I loved Epinard and Rikyu-cha, and would like to see them again, but I don't dwell on them much. There are some inks I would sorely miss if the brand went under. I am a little concerned about the future of some of the one-person ink brands. I really hope that Noodler's and De Atramentis and KWZI have good notes!

The only ink I really miss and want to see rejuvenated is Sailor Chu-shu.

Edited by Davros

I will miss Caran dAche Caribbean Sea when my stocks have run out. I haven't yet found an alternative I like as much.

Hi,

I certainly miss the MB Blue-Black, and I've been on the outs with MB since the I-G version of Midnight Blue was discontinued.

Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea and Grand Canyon leave me with an itch that no other inks have been able to scratch.

Also Sailor rikyu-cha. I had high hopes that it would be amongst the Seasonal inks that were revived, but no joy. I don't use it too often, so my bottle will hold-out a while longer - perhaps until Sailor ink boffins return to their senses.

Oh, and don't get me started on the original Noodler's #41, nor Parker's decision to replace their Blue-Black with Solv-X with an insipid imitation ...

I'll stop there before this becomes too rant-ish.

Mostly I'm a bit more judicious about using those inks - when no other ink will do - as I've been doing with Parker Penman Sapphire. As for MB BlBk, I have a notion to try conjuring a blend, likely based on [dilute] ESSRI.

Bye,

S1

Hi Folks,

I also loved Caran d' Ache Caribbean Sea and I have tried several inks to find a replacement. I have various test pages that I need to photograph or something. But until I get there... Diamine Steel Blue is it. I would not say that it's 100% there. However, the variation I get between pens with Steel Blue, say a very fine line versus a thick line, is greater than the difference between Caribbean Sea and Steel Blue. So I think that we have a direct replacement. At least I do.

"Who writes with a fountain pen? How friggin' pretentious is that?" --from the movie Duplicity. :-)

Not so much. There are wonderful close alternatives for most anything.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I will miss these a lot:

MB Midnight Blue (IG)

Parker Penman Sapphire

Seems incredible it was easier to find a bottle of Sapphire than a bottle of MBMB.

The only one that comes close is Pelikan Blue Black - and it isn't discontinued, just no longer sold here in the USA. Which makes it more expensive but not unobtainable. I just need to go to the UK to get it. Fortunately, I picked up a bottle in Dec 2012 which I still have some left....

I do have some other Blue Blacks - Diamine, and some samples.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

If you can get MiRuai and you are a lover of stealth blacks....do it. It's a great ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have a bottle of Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea, barely used, which I'd be willing to trade for a bottle of Sailor Red-Brown if anyone has it.

I've never had a chance to see Red-Brown in real life but heard a lot about it.

Not sure if it's appropriate to put that out there on this thread. Please be gentle if it isn't.

Thanks.

My favourite ink is Organic Studios Blue Merle. I was disappointed to learn that OS was not making inks anymore. Although I heard talk that he may start up again in limited quantities. I haven't seen anything come of this though.

I bought as much Blue Merle as I could find so I'm set for a bit...

My favourite ink is Organic Studios Blue Merle. I was disappointed to learn that OS was not making inks anymore. Although I heard talk that he may start up again in limited quantities. I haven't seen anything come of this though.

I haven't heard anything either, although I have enough Mark Twain to last forever. I must remember to put some antifungal in it.

Anyone have any gossip? It would be a shame for such a talented inkmaker to give up the business.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Irori is amazing, and I'm super sad I only managed to get one bottled of it. :( I think I would desperately miss my most beloved discontinued inks, but my solution is twofold:

a) try and stock up (I will NOT share my list of back up numbers. Suffice it to say that for an ink I adore, 7 extra bottles is my minimum. I think I have 8 or 10 of MB Hitchcock, and 12 of Caribbean Sea, but they are smaller, 30mL bottles, so that's how I justified it).

B) buy a lot of different inks so I use up bottles veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly.

I know people say it's just ink and you can find another one that looks the same, but I stare at ink A LOT. I get really close to the page and work hard to see the nuances. Once you do that, it's something you can't unsee, and the difference between (for example) Diamine Blue Steel and Caribbean Sea becomes so glaring that it's grating. I think for most people who aren't as (stupidly) ink obsessed as me and a few others I know, it's true, you can usually find something close enough to fit the bill. And it's true that Diamine Blue Steel is definitely close. :) Personally, I chose to buy 12 bottles of Caribbean Sea instead.

I am another one pining for Caribbean Sea *sigh* and was just able to stock up with 4 bottles of Sailor Jentle Peche. So, that should hold me over for a while.

I cannot figure out why Caribbean Sea was discontinued, and why I was a dope for not stocking up on it, when I had the chance? :doh:

I only just now realized I have 12 of the original 16 in that four seasons line. Woot! I am not too sad about missing Yuki-Akari and Fuji-Musume, but I am thoroughly bummed about Sakura-Mori and Irori! I continued to hold out hope that the other 8 of this lineup will eventually be released.

And Saskia, I totally do that "staring at ink" thing all the time. I peer real close, over the top of my glasses, and I'm sure anyone observing me would think me insane. But I so don't care. :)

*zealously hoarding my one bottle of Chu-shu, two of Rikyu-Cha, and two of Caribbean Sea!*

I also stare at ink. In addition to color, ink behavior tends to be very unique, too. In the case of MB Midnight-Blue, it just flows perfectly in my Bexley Corona. It stained the ink window a bit (well, I gave up trying to clean it), but I don't care. It's like the pen and ink are one. Now that I found that bottle, the pen is in use again.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

The only one that comes close is Pelikan Blue Black - and it isn't discontinued, just no longer sold here in the USA. Which makes it more expensive but not unobtainable. I just need to go to the UK to get it. Fortunately, I picked up a bottle in Dec 2012 which I still have some left....

I do have some other Blue Blacks - Diamine, and some samples.

Yep, that's exactly what I use. I recently bought two bottles of Pelikan Blue-Black from the UK (The Writing Desk), so it'll last for a while. I go through it pretty quickly, four bottles per year. I love this ink and hope Pelikan continues to make it forever.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

I think I have 8 or 10 of MB Hitchcock, and 12 of Caribbean Sea

Personally, I chose to buy 12 bottles of Caribbean Sea instead.

Could you please provide me with your home address along with a detailed list of dates and times that you are not at home?

I'm kidding! Kidding! :D ;) :P :D

Joking aside, I'm warming up to Diamine Steel Blue for a replacement. It's really very nice. I'm just about through with the sample I got. I'll be ordering a full bottle soon, along with some other inks. :)

"Who writes with a fountain pen? How friggin' pretentious is that?" --from the movie Duplicity. :-)

On the whole, I don't, because for the most part I wasn't around for their heyday. I'm going to have to hoard my bottle of Sailor Jentle Sky High, though.... That one I *will* miss.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."