How Much Do You Miss Discontinued Inks?

akustyk

There's only one ink that I've truly missed, the Montblanc Midnight-Blue. When I heard the news about it being phased out, I managed to find a bottle at a local pen store, but have since used it up. I haven't really bothered finding a replacement, as I knew it would be a rather futile endeavour. I use Pelikan Blue-Black whenever I need well-behaved, permanent ink, so that's okay.

However, this morning, I found a quarter-full bottle of Midnight-Blue in a sealed moving box. How it got there, I have no idea. Seeing the ink bottle made me feel happy, as if I just saw a good friend I haven't seen for a while. I inked up my Bexley Corona with it (that used to be my MB-designated pen), wrote a couple of pages, and my jaw dropped with astonishment. What an awesome ink this is! I am glad I was reminded of its quality.

How must do you all miss discontinued inks? Do you try to stock up just before it's gone? Do you just move on? Find a suitable replacement? Send letters to the pen manufacturer begging for the ink to be reintroduced?

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swanjun

• jmccarty3

• amberleadavis

• ink-syringe

I really miss Sky High Blue by Sailor. I wish I had known it was going away, I would have stocked up.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I don't miss the inks. I miss some of the old bottles.

(but I do miss Sanford inks just a bit. Nice small bottles)

Edited by Charles Rice

I moved on from the Sailor Grenade. It's not as great as I thought it was and won't even try the Oku yama or whatever it is.

I loved Sky High so I bought about 4 bottles. I figure it should last me a long time.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

It's ink. I really like Sailor Epinard, but didn't buy any more when it was discontinued. (I was surprised by a bottle of it as a gift.)

I would be sad to see Noodler's inks discontinued, but I wouldn't stock up in response. I would just turn to something else.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I will miss Caran dAche Caribbean Sea when my stocks have run out. I haven't yet found an alternative I like as much.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Well, I do miss quite a few inks:

1. Sailor's Brown
  2. Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon, Storm and Saffron.
  3. Montblanc's Leonardo Red Chalk, Seaweed Green, Racing Green

However I still try new ones and I usually don't stock. On the other hand I wish I was interested in pens in 2009 and had stock Sailor Brown ink.

A while back I got a sample of Organics Studio's Mark Twain Haley's Comet Blue. Tested it out a few months later and really liked it. Come to find out that Organics Studio decided to close up shop and the ink is not readily available. I regret not using the sample earlier and stocking up on the ink.

Hi,

I certainly miss the MB Blue-Black, and I've been on the outs with MB since the I-G version of Midnight Blue was discontinued.

Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea and Grand Canyon leave me with an itch that no other inks have been able to scratch.

Also Sailor rikyu-cha. I had high hopes that it would be amongst the Seasonal inks that were revived, but no joy. I don't use it too often, so my bottle will hold-out a while longer - perhaps until Sailor ink boffins return to their senses.

Oh, and don't get me started on the original Noodler's #41, nor Parker's decision to replace their Blue-Black with Solv-X with an insipid imitation ...

I'll stop there before this becomes too rant-ish.

Mostly I'm a bit more judicious about using those inks - when no other ink will do - as I've been doing with Parker Penman Sapphire. As for MB BlBk, I have a notion to try conjuring a blend, likely based on [dilute] ESSRI.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I have a lot of inks. I recall many of the inks mentioned above and liked them at the time. Three that haven't been mentioned are Parker Penman Sapphire, MB Hitchcock, and Sailor Red-Brown.

For most of these, I have an acceptable—to me, anyway—alternative.

And, there is always another new ink to try.

(Edited to add a comma.)

Edited by Frank C

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Waterman South Seas, although many say that Waterman Inspired Blue is the replacement. I have about 1/2 bottle left, and will be sad to see it end. I've used other turquoise inks, but lift me up as much as Waterman South Seas. The colors aren't the same.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I never tried them, but since I see a lot of people scanning and photographing some inks, in my opinion Sailor Apricot and Sky High are two inks that shouldn't have gone away. Montblanc Racing Green is also an ink that could be a hit if it returns.

Waterman South Seas, although many say that Waterman Inspired Blue is the replacement. I have about 1/2 bottle left, and will be sad to see it end. I've used other turquoise inks, but lift me up as much as Waterman South Seas. The colors aren't the same.

I was under the impression that Inspired Blue was just the new name of South Seas. That is, I thought they were the exact same ink.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I stock up modestly and then ration in a miserly fashion. :)

I wish I stocked up on Montblanc's Emerald green. Now I rarely use it because I don't want to use up the remaining ink in the bottle. :(

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Omas Roma 2000 blue. I have about a half a bottle and husband it carefully.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Parker Penman inks. Especially the Ebony. I was devastated when I went to buy another couple of bottles and was told it was out of production. But then Noodler's came along...

Ever since Sailor discontinued Jentle Peche I have been in therapy, they are doing their best to help me cope. Some days are better than others and some times I actually get out of bed and bathe myself.......

No, seriously, I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Inks are inks and pens come and go, get a life! These are just items and do not bring any true and lasting joy to my life.

fpn_1436053801__2015-07-04-ink_discontin

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY