Desk Pen Edition Of Show Off Your Esterbrooks

NobleDel

I received the WWII 407 today. It needs to be cleaned, but looks like it's in great shape.

I found it interesting that it's brown rather than black. What other colors did it come in?

This is definitely from between 1942 and 1947 as before '42 it was the Army Air Corp, and after '47 the Air Force was separate from the Army. Between times it was the US Army Air Force. Or at least that's what I found in my research. I'm sure there are others, perhaps here, who know in more detail and can correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a pen on the way which I believe is also from about this period. It looks similar to Pauls in that I believe it has a sleeve to allow it to take renewpoints, but was originally for the friction fit nib and section. We'll see when it gets here.

Another one will be up and writing soon.

fpn_1460661682__dipless_407_whole.jpg

fpn_1460661689__dipless_407_inscription.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• ScienceChick

• NobleDel

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It cleaned up so nicely. These are so easy to fix up! Get one yourself!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

• 3 weeks later...

I received the WWII 407 today. It needs to be cleaned, but looks like it's in great shape.

I found it interesting that it's brown rather than black. What other colors did it come in?

This is definitely from between 1942 and 1947 as before '42 it was the Army Air Corp, and after '47 the Air Force was separate from the Army. Between times it was the US Army Air Force. Or at least that's what I found in my research. I'm sure there are others, perhaps here, who know in more detail and can correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a pen on the way which I believe is also from about this period. It looks similar to Pauls in that I believe it has a sleeve to allow it to take renewpoints, but was originally for the friction fit nib and section. We'll see when it gets here.

Another one will be up and writing soon.

fpn_1460661682__dipless_407_whole.jpg

fpn_1460661689__dipless_407_inscription.

I find these difficult to describe. I have a couple of them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

So, here's the pen that goes with the WWII Dip-less above. I suspect it's missing a band. Would this have been a metal band? Something else?

fpn_1462201213__image.jpeg

fpn_1462201226__image.jpeg

-Montaigne

Voila.

fpn_1462247441__estdpred.jpg

Lever fill desk pen works great with a 2314-B Relief broad stub.

I prefer it to the things that look like radio sets from the thirties.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I love to see them used, so whatever works for you.

If you have any that look like old radio sets, I'll be more than happy to find them a nice home. :D

it turns out that the later form 444 red hockey puck I received has never been inked, so I went out and found another one for $12 including shipping and it's on it's way to me so that I have one I can use at work.

-Montaigne

The hockey pucks and dual pucks are much prettier than the others, which hold fasteners on the work bench.

The heart one was my sister-in-law's. She died of pancreatic cancer eighteen years ago, and I use it for a keepsake.

Added some decorations to my office bookshelf today. Need to get the pens out. And just picked up another hockey puck for $12 including shipping and a pen (busted nib). That one I am going to restore and use on my main desk. The 445 is still at home and has become too useful to bring to work. The 444 in the far back left of the picture has never been filled and still has the paper instructions inside, so I decided to just keep it that way. Especially when a user could be had so cheaply.

Oh, and the WWII 407 is on my other desk where I can see it better.

Now I need to work on getting more shapes and colors and losing the business books.

fpn_1462389948__image.jpeg

-Montaigne

I'm in. Here are my 484s.

post-121923-0-91795700-1462394569_thumb.jpg

I love having them at work so much that I might have to set up a desk at home just to use others there.

A

attachicon.gifIMG_4405.JPG

I love having them at work so much that I might have to set up a desk at home just to use others there.

A

These have a nice style. It's interesting how these have a reservoir for ink instead of a trumpet, like Sheaffer and Parker, among others.

attachicon.gifIMG_4405.JPG

A

Lovely! Love,the white base!

Pajaro, these were mainly for places where filling a fountain pen would be onerous because of heavy use. Sheaffers and Parker also made versions of these, but I see many, many more of the Esterbrooks.

-Montaigne

• 3 weeks later...

I have never seen any made by the other pen companies. One of those bases would be an interesting find.

My stepson (over 40) picked up my Esterbrook base with the big glass top and asked what it was. I don't think he could get his mind around the fact it was to rest a pen.

-------------------

Do any of you rest a regular Esterbrook (not a desk pen) in one of these bases?

• 1 month later...

Please post more pictures, if you have gotten more desk sets!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I'll be restoring a few more 444's in the next couple of weeks and I'll post pictures. I've now somehow (it's a mystery) acquired 444's in red, black, grey, green, and white. That's the color of the glass at the bottom of the clear base. Anyone know of any other colors for these?

-Montaigne

I almost bought one with a burgundy base, I had it on hold and realized that I have no more space in my desk where I could leave it securely and admire it at the same time.

My desk, which I am delighted to have, is doing multiple duty: laptop holder, hence the limited view of much of my desk, nice pens displayed in their lovely wodden boxes; everyday pens in their slot; watercolor brush pens and my everyday mechanical pencil in their compartment, 2 small inkwells to hold dip pens or the journaling pens.

Another part of the desk is used for the currently worked on, watercolor pad and coloring books.

Below is my journaling setup which is also used with my agenda used mostly to set up appointments, which are mostly with docs. From each visit, even for checkups, copious amount of paperwork is generated.

Unfortunately, between the paper intensive hobbies, paperwork and the laptop footprint, no space for a suitable desk sets display.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

You clearly need a second desk.😊

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I have two secretary desks. The upper display cabinets are really good for pen display, and they lock.

Hi here are my two desktop sets. The 484 at the back was unused when I found it and also included the pens now in the other set,the one I use.This green glass set has me stumped is it an Esterbrook? It has the same feed system as the 484 and had also never been filled.The small instruction disc was inside.The words Pen-Pal are embossed on each holder.post-7972-0-03637200-1467707042_thumb.jpeg