Pelikan M200 Won't Write Consistently

starbuckmoxie

I have a Pelikan m200 that used to be my favorite pen, but it's been having so many problems lately that I can hardly use it anymore.

When I first started having trouble with it, it would write fine for about a page or so, and then the ink flow would slowly die until it would stop writing entirely. I figured maybe there was some dried ink blocking up the flow or something, so I cleaned it out thoroughly, but the same thing happened over and over again.

Eventually, I tried using a very weak (1:20) ammonia solution, and that seemed to do the trick. Everything was flowing nicely. I was so excited to have my pen back! I spent all evening writing letters and enjoying the pen and ink.

When I was done, I capped it and laid it flat on my desk...and then the next morning, it would hardly write at all. It was very scratchy and skippy. I turned the piston a little to advance the ink and that helped me finish what I was working on but obviously that is not a permanent solution.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It seems to me like there must be something blocking the flow of ink but I can't figure out what it is, and cleaning doesn't seem to help very much. Not sure if there is anything else I can try, or if maybe I need to take it somewhere for repair. I did stop by a local pen shop to ask for advice but they weren't very helpful and told me that they don't work on any pen manufactured after 1970. Sigh.

Any advice on what to do?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• starbuckmoxie

• sargetalon

• Notgatherox

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps try using an ultrasonic cleaner to thoroughly clean the nib.

Also, flossing the tines with a brass shim might help.

What ink are you using? Maybe the ink has something to do with it too.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: Your problem might not be what I think it is, and thus these solutions may not apply to you.

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I have a Pelikan m200 that used to be my favorite pen, but it's been having so many problems lately that I can hardly use it anymore.

When I first started having trouble with it, it would write fine for about a page or so, and then the ink flow would slowly die until it would stop writing entirely. I figured maybe there was some dried ink blocking up the flow or something, so I cleaned it out thoroughly, but the same thing happened over and over again.

Eventually, I tried using a very weak (1:20) ammonia solution, and that seemed to do the trick. Everything was flowing nicely. I was so excited to have my pen back! I spent all evening writing letters and enjoying the pen and ink.

When I was done, I capped it and laid it flat on my desk...and then the next morning, it would hardly write at all. It was very scratchy and skippy. I turned the piston a little to advance the ink and that helped me finish what I was working on but obviously that is not a permanent solution.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It seems to me like there must be something blocking the flow of ink but I can't figure out what it is, and cleaning doesn't seem to help very much. Not sure if there is anything else I can try, or if maybe I need to take it somewhere for repair. I did stop by a local pen shop to ask for advice but they weren't very helpful and told me that they don't work on any pen manufactured after 1970. Sigh.

Any advice on what to do?

"cratchy and skippy" makes it sound like the tines may be out of alignment. If that is the case, they need to be aligned. Do you have access to a loupe? I would think that any shop that can work on pre 1970 pens would be able to diagnose this.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I don't know much about adjusting tines but that might indeed be the issue since other things have not helped. Maybe I should just try to find a different pen shop. The one I visited was kind of rude - I don't think it was a matter of them not being *able* to help me, but rather not being *willing* to help me. They refused to even look at the pen because it didn't meet their criteria.

Thanks!

Where do you live? I might be able to suggest a pen shop. Most pen stores are always willing to offer advice. I always buy a bottle of ink or something to repay them.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I live in New York City. I am sure there are other pen shops here but I think I made a mistake going to the one called Fountain Pen Hospital, thinking that surely they would be able to help me. Or maybe I just caught them on an exceptionally bad day. I am also not the most confrontational person in the world and just walked out after they barked at me (not a native New Yorker here - ha!). Would love to find another place, maybe a smaller shop or just a nice pen repair-person to support with my business. :)

I live in New York City. I am sure there are other pen shops here but I think I made a mistake going to the one called Fountain Pen Hospital, thinking that surely they would be able to help me. Or maybe I just caught them on an exceptionally bad day. I am also not the most confrontational person in the world and just walked out after they barked at me (not a native New Yorker here - ha!). Would love to find another place, maybe a smaller shop or just a nice pen repair-person to support with my business. :)

I am somewhat surprised. After all, they are the Fountain Pen Hospital, where else would you take a sick fountain pen? You might give them another try. But a bottle or two of ink, and then ask them how to fill the pen you just inherited.

I know, it does seem like the best place for it. Maybe you are right and I went about it the wrong way - maybe if I start with their sales people and work my way back to repair rather than starting with repair first, it might go better.

I know, it does seem like the best place for it. Maybe you are right and I went about it the wrong way - maybe if I start with their sales people and work my way back to repair rather than starting with repair first, it might go better.

They are New Yorkers, after all. I have been to the store and ordered by telephone from them. I'm sure they have someone there who could diagnose your pen's problem.

Based on your description, I would have assumed a clogged feed at first buy you seem to have gone through the steps to remedy that pretty thoroughly. The scratchy description does make a good case for misaligned tines as has already been suggested. A 10x loupe would help you to diagnose that. If that's the case, there are tutorials online about realigning them. The process is fairly straightforward. Fountain Pen Hospital is about the best resource in New York these days. You might want to call them first and discuss your issue on the phone to see if they can help. Another option might be to attend a meeting of the Big Apple Pen club and see if one of the more experienced members of the group might be able to render assistance. Good luck with it.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan