Doom! I Bent The Nib And Now It Won't Write!

WestCoastCanadianGirl

I have a Pilot Kaküno pen that I <3 with all of my heart.

She is my "go to" pen, and I use her every day.

This morning, I accidentally bent the tines on her nib (they're split now) and now she won't write!

Are there replacement nibs available for the Kaküno without buying a whole new pen? Cost isn't that important (I know that she wasn't expensive to procure) but if I can get a new nib without buying a whole new pen, that'd be wonderful.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

As always, I thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Kate

~>Cross posted<~

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• enricof

• catbert

• tinkerteacher

• WestCoastCanadianGirl

I have a Pilot Kaküno pen that I <3 with all of my heart.

She is my "go to" pen, and I use her every day.

This morning, I accidentally bent the tines on her nib (they're split now) and now she won't write!

Are there replacement nibs available for the Kaküno without buying a whole new pen? Cost isn't that important (I know that she wasn't expensive to procure) but if I can get a new nib without buying a whole new pen, that'd be wonderful.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

As always, I thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Kate

~>Cross posted<~

I don’t think Pilot sell them separately. You could swap one into a Kakuno from a (slightly) cheaper compatible model but it won’t have the smiley face.
Or get another Kakuno and think of it as parts for the original?
Since you’ve got nothing to lose, try pulling the bent nib and gently manipulating it back into shape. There’s a little about that in the first thread above, and elsewhere on FPN of course. Good luck.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! It hadn't occurred to me to just bite the bullet and buy a new one and use the current pen for parts.

I'm going to just buy a new one... the people who feed my addiction are having a bit of a back to school giveaway for anyone who buys a Kaküno... I had previously been looking at the items in the offer that they're giving away, so I'll probably put in an order this weekend for a new Kakuno, a Platinum Preppy 0.2, the freebie and some ink.

Edited by WestCoastCanadianGirl

An option might be to take nib and feed apart, place the nib upside down on a hard surface and carefully try to bend back the tines.

Since the nib is now ruined it cannot get any worse i presume. If you manage to get it done successfully you will be able to use the pen again.

It beats buying a new pen and if it fails you will be no worse than before.

In the forums and on the web there are plenty of articles on how to get this done.

HTH, Marc

Been there, done it, got the shirt...

Have a look, it maybe easier than you think

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293138-horrific-moment-with-happy-end/

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Steel nibs, unfortunately, don't take to being bent back into shape as well as gold nibs; one advantage that gold nibs do have.

On the other hand, the nibs from Metropolitan/MR/Plumix/Pluminix/Cocoon/Kakuno/Penmanship/etc. are all interchangeable.

My advice, if you really want to keep using your treasured Kakuno: grab a Plumix for a couple of pounds and swap its lovely italic nib into your Kakuno.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

or give it a shortcut as I did on my little daughters'...

fpn_1436215753__2015-07-06_070553.jpg

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

Ah, there's that too.

What did you use? Wire cutters?

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

Ah, there's that too.

What did you use? Wire cutters?

Electronics' clpper, something like this:

http://www.adafruit.com/images/1200x900/152-00.jpgthen fine metal abrasive paper, then nail buffer.

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961