Don't Just Tell Us About The Pen You're Using, *show* Us! - 2015-Ii

RMN

Oh, man. Is it my imagination or have things stepped up the last few days? Some gorgeous pens, and gorgeous writing. Frankenflexies in TWSBI's and Pelikans, crazy MB nibs, lines of eye candy... And now Mehandiratta's swirly beauty. I love this place.

This world is awesome

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SNAK

• amberleadavis

• Inky.Fingers

• attika89

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, man. Is it my imagination or have things stepped up the last few days? Some gorgeous pens, and gorgeous writing. Frankenflexies ...lines of eye candy... And now Mehandiratta's swirly beauty. I love this place.

You are right, its hard to keep up, and there are too many great things here to comment on - where to begin?!

My wife said I need to do some writing this weekend - thank you's, notes, place cards and such for our son's wedding next week. So I filled some pens with fun colors. I have about 15 inked at the moment, and here are four:

fpn_1435936988__img_2737_672x1024.jpg

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

My pen for the day....

fpn_1435920986__11403338_101528550428223

fpn_1435921068__11403005_101528550428573

That pen looks very nice, such depth on it. Great ink also, and thanks for sharing.

-John-

Visconti: Millionaire LE, HS Lava Steel, Opera Club Honey Almond, Michelangelo Black/Rose

Aurora Optima 365 LE, Mar Adriatico LE

Omas Galileo '93, '15 Year of Light, F.A.O., Paragon Burlwood LE

Delta MOMO Design Rose LE

Mont Blanc Johannes Brahms, Georges Solti, 146 LeGrand Platinum, Model #32 (cracked), WE Leo Tolstoy, 146 Burgundy, Model 22, 149 Platinum, Marc Newson, WE Charles Dickens, Rouge et Noir Coral

Hooligan LE #6

TWSBI Diamond 580 X2 and Eco

Is not exactly homebrew... I have mixed Bril Royal Blue and Bril Black in 2:1 ratio

Homebrew enough for me, it's what I tend to do as well... thanks for sharing. That is an amazingly high ratio of black, the blue must be supersaturated to hold its own so well...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

CJAjydqWwAAlsvS.jpg

This photo was taken with my Montblanc 149, but the pen that really was used is my Pilot Plumix.

http://static1.jetpens.com/images/a/000/066/66302.jpg

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

[socrates]

Sometimes I post something about pens and penmanship at my blog

Instagram@carretera18

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

DC, love that sailor.... SWEET...

mehandiratta that Oliver is awesome... thanks for sharing...

carreterra - you make that plumix sing...

With all those TWSBI nib conversions, I have been digging through my vintage parts boxes... got a waterman #2 and a Swan #3.... Hmmmmm...

Today i was running the ink through a Sheaffer, and a (new/old) Wearever...

fpn_1435990549__2000o.jpg

Edited by Prvt. Toter

If you think everything is going well... you obviously have no idea what is really going on!

CJAjydqWwAAlsvS.jpg

This photo was taken with my Montblanc 149, but the pen that really was used is my Pilot Plumix.

Lovely photo and a lovely script.

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

In honor of the US holiday today (July 4th, Independence Day) I was playing around with my vintage Conklin. My writing is still atrocious compared to the masters on here, but you have to start somewhere. The extra, rather pronounced, letters were done with an esterbrook and Osmiroid nib using my new bottle of FPN-exclusive Voltaire Candid Vermilion ink. It's really, really red. And fun.

The rest of the writing is using Sheaffer Blue which is so well-behaved in this flexible nib pen I haven't seen fit to try anything else yet.

fpn_1436008935__declarationofindependenc

the Conklin

fpn_1436010090__conklin_25.jpg

I'll be doing more practicing today as most of the day will be spent helping my wife pack for a week-long trip she's taking, leaving tomorrow.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

In honor of the US holiday today (July 4th, Independence Day) I was playing around with my vintage Conklin. My writing is still atrocious compared to the masters on here, but you have to start somewhere. The extra, rather pronounced, letters were done with an esterbrook and Osmiroid nib using my new bottle of FPN-exclusive Voltaire Candid Vermilion ink. It's really, really red. And fun.

The rest of the writing is using Sheaffer Blue which is so well-behaved in this flexible nib pen I haven't seen fit to try anything else yet.

the Conklin

I'll be doing more practicing today as most of the day will be spent helping my wife pack for a week-long trip she's taking, leaving tomorrow.

Nice gesture, AAAndrew! I enjoyed all your post; the pen, the ink, the handwriting, the idea behind the post!

We recently celebrated World War II 70th anniversary, and I can't stop thinking of all those young soldiers and all those war victims who gave their life so that we can live in peace. Peace and democracy seems to be fragile concepts over time; we shouldn't take them for granted. Thank you for posting this!

Edited by line
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/FPN_signatur2_zps0fbd4f6c.jpg

I have insanely many pens inked up now! Summer vacation, and it is impossible to decide which of them to leave at home...

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/Mobile%20Uploads/6332c78e-87f8-4e8e-ac4d-2e85bdb2ed4d_zpsjuw5oxvj.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/FPN_signatur2_zps0fbd4f6c.jpg

I have insanely many pens inked up now! Summer vacation, and it is impossible to decide which of them to leave at home...

Just take them all. That way, you don't have to decide. If you leave them at home, someone may steal them.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Where to start? Happy July 4th. My dad was in the service too. However different war with the same cause.

That's a very interesting pen-nib combination. What is the story behind it?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

Lots of great pens and nibs there, folks!

I am still in Parker 51 mode:

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/Mobile%20Uploads/bf877be5-d7c9-4e7e-ad21-85fb8e7d9ac7_zpsrl2hhg1s.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/Mobile%20Uploads/8e133e23-0867-4e76-8aeb-3cddbaccdde4_zpsv3zqctc5.jpg

Nice desk set. I have a 51 desk set and find it to be convenient and a great writer.

Nice handwriting too :)

That's a very interesting pen-nib combination. What is the story behind it?

It was my journey conquest for a big nib with big flex, also deserving to stand on its own. Greg Minuskin had such a pen but it was a Frankenpen. Beautiful nib on an Astor vintage pen body.

I thought a marriage of luxury vintage American nib to a solid German iconic pen would be a good match. Who knew the nib and pen goes so well with each other. The plastic feed was wet enough for regular flexing and writing without any adjustments. I only had to heat set the nib in place.

As much as I enjoy this pen, I find it a bit big for my Asian hand.

Compared to the M800, m800 is my daily pen. For quick notes and signature, this IS the pen.

Oh yes... I am practicing my penmanship. No one including myself were able to decrypt my hand writing before. Now I am showered with compliments with my efforts to change my penmanship. I choose sSpencerian but wants to learn RoundHand as well. As much I am enamored with flex nibs, not even BBB italic can sway me away from my flexies. And now that I have learn a little more about FP, and penmanship, after I have mastered Spencerian and Round Hand, I will give copperplate and others my best. But not until I have master my first task.

And seeing so many masters here, I hope to learn more from their samples.

It was my journey conquest for a big nib with big flex, also deserving to stand on its own. Greg Minuskin had such a pen but it was a Frankenpen. Beautiful nib on an Astor vintage pen body.

I thought a marriage of luxury vintage American nib to a solid German iconic pen would be a good match. Who knew the nib and pen goes so well with each other. The plastic feed was wet enough for regular flexing and writing without any adjustments. I only had to heat set the nib in place.

As much as I enjoy this pen, I find it a bit big for my Asian hand.

Compared to the M800, m800 is my daily pen. For quick notes and signature, this IS the pen.

Oh yes... I am practicing my penmanship. No one including myself were able to decrypt my hand writing before. Now I am showered with compliments with my efforts to change my penmanship. I choose sSpencerian but wants to learn RoundHand as well. As much I am enamored with flex nibs, not even BBB italic can sway me away from my flexies. And now that I have learn a little more about FP, and penmanship, after I have mastered Spencerian and Round Hand, I will give copperplate and others my best. But not until I have master my first task.

And seeing so many masters here, I hope to learn more from their samples.

Thanks for the information on the pen. I knew there had to be an interesting story behind it. Do you still have the MB nib?

I have big hands, but I find the MB 149 uncomfortable for long writing sessions. An M800 or 146 is just about right.

Your handwriting is very nice. I would just like to have my handwriting look neater. Keep up the good work.

the Conklin

Nice handwriting!