What Have I Bought?

chunya

Hi all,

I was bidding for a couple of items (believe it or not, NOT PENS) at a live auction ... when this Lot was presented just before one of the ones I had planned to bid on. What amazes me is that I thought that I'd gone through the entire catalogue and I still missed them! Anyway, I suffered the jerky finger syndrome and won it (thankfully won the others as well) ... but what have I won other than (probably) a gold-filled Onoto Pen and Pencil set?

fpn_1435853781__onoto_set.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chunya

• Cob

• vikrmbedi

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

i am not sure what you have other than like you said "a gold filled De La Rue Onoto pen and pencil set.

what are your plans with regards this pen set? did you buy it to keep it or buy it to sell it.

because if you sell it i would be seriously interested in this set.

i am not sure what you have other than like you said "a gold filled De La Rue Onoto pen and pencil set.

what are your plans with regards this pen set? did you buy it to keep it or buy it to sell it.

because if you sell it i would be seriously interested in this set.

Hi,

I have no real plans as it was very much an impulse buy. I've not got it in my hands at this point in time, the Auction House haven't sent it off yet, but I should have it by the start of next week when I'll be able to take a closer look. The photo was from their catalogue (which I only saw after I'd won it!) ... but I did ask them whether i could use their photo for just such a purpose, and I am a fairly regular customer with them.

I have about 40+ nice pens, Fountain Pens, Ball Points and Mechanical Pencils. Not a large collection by any means but I go for quality over quantity.

So my favorite modern fountain pen is the Onoto pens. And my only vintage fountain pen is a De La Rue Onoto the Pen from around the mid Thirties.

Not much around the states when it comes to Vintage De La Rue pens, the one I have I bought over in England and had shipped over here.

Just keep me mind mind if you decide to sell, will not say I am guaranteed to purchase but if the price is right and I have the funds then who knows.

I have about 40+ nice pens, Fountain Pens, Ball Points and Mechanical Pencils. Not a large collection by any means but I go for quality over quantity.

So my favorite modern fountain pen is the Onoto pens. And my only vintage fountain pen is a De La Rue Onoto the Pen from around the mid Thirties.

Not much around the states when it comes to Vintage De La Rue pens, the one I have I bought over in England and had shipped over here.

Just keep me mind mind if you decide to sell, will not say I am guaranteed to purchase but if the price is right and I have the funds then who knows.

Hi,

Will do, and when it arrives I'll take a few more pics .... I haven't had that much spare time, but what searching I have done hasn't come up with anything similar, yet.

I have a few Onoto plungers, 3000 and more recently a 2000, and again recently picked up a 1930s De La Rue pen, apparently not an Onoto, which I have to admit I've been using as my daily writer since replacing the sac ... it is a beautiful writer.

hi,

I found a similar set on ebay...here

the interesting thing is that the seller mentions engraving on clips of the set. what looks like" ctr "

similar engraving appears on your pen too. so either this is the same set restored (very unlikely ) or "ctr " are the intials/logo of someone who commissioned a bunch of similar sets...

Edited by vikrmbedi

hi,

I found a similar set on ebay...here

the interesting thing is that the seller mentions engraving on clips of the set. what looks like" ctr "

similar engraving appears on your pen too. so either this is the same set restored (very unlikely ) or "ctr " are the intials/logo of someone who commissioned a bunch of similar sets...

No: the mark is TDLR: Thomas de la Rue!

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

my bad...

:blush:

Not you at all .. the ebay seller made the mistake, and the clip isn't that clear on my photo

That set seems to have gone for a very reasonable price despite the state of the plating, and possibly not working.

Not you at all .. the ebay seller made the mistake, and the clip isn't that clear on my photo

That set seems to have gone for a very reasonable price despite the state of the plating, and possibly not working.

Yes very cheap I think even though the nib tips do not look too clever and obviously work is required.

I ignored the listing imagining that such a set would be rather expensive. How wrong could I be??

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

What you bought was a small box of golden goodness! Beautiful.

Edited by AAAndrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Cob is of course correct in saying the logo is T DLR, but I imagine anyone with no knowledge of pen manufacturers would read it as CTR...

I also noted the one on ebay, indeed I seem to recall 3 or 4 such sets having been listed in the recent past, so my reason for not bidding went something like....

"Oh no not that one again! There really must be something wrong with it if it is changing hands that frequently"

I had not seen the Saleroom listing, but if I had I expect it would have been a case of "all ebay bidders must be as wary as I am".

Probably all coincidence and you will get a great item at a bargain price.

But if anyone is thinking of listing multiple items on the bay then there is something to be said for making the fact clear when the fsecond one goes live.

That is a beautiful set. I will be interested to see what nib is on the fountain pen and if it writes. Thanks for sharing this.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Hi All,

Well the Onoto set arrived today and on the whole it looks to be in pretty good condition. I haven't had time to give it a good clean, but it filled with a smooth lever action, so the sac is still fine. It writes well with a surprising amount of flex to tyhe nib. The pencil mechanism also works smoothly, just need to get some lead for it. So I am pretty pleased with it (although I may have overpaid a little).

fpn_1436605400__dsc06936.jpg

fpn_1436605872__dsc06938.jpg

fpn_1436605923__dsc06939.jpg

fpn_1436605970__dsc06940.jpg

Well Chunya, that looks excellent - and a nib in really good order. Is it a 22 or 33?

Most of the ones that arrive here appear to have been dropped from the top of Westminster Abbey.

When an Onoto nib is flexible, it is usually splendid;

TDLR also produced nibs marked Warranted 14ct with a number (22 or 33 usually) beneath and TDLR, i.e. without the name Onoto appearing - these sometimes turn up on Onotos so perhaps they were sold as replacements? I have a 33 installed in a Croxley and it is really lovely.

Well done.

Cob

Well Chunya, that looks excellent - and a nib in really good order. Is it a 22 or 33?

Most of the ones that arrive here appear to have been dropped from the top of Westminster Abbey.

When an Onoto nib is flexible, it is usually splendid;

TDLR also produced nibs marked Warranted 14ct with a number (22 or 33 usually) beneath and TDLR, i.e. without the name Onoto appearing - these sometimes turn up on Onotos so perhaps they were sold as replacements? I have a 33 installed in a Croxley and it is really lovely.

Well done.

Cob

The nib reads 22, it sits very low but I can just make out the numbers ... and interesting info, there Cob