Prices Of Esterbrooks?

watch_art

These are mine. I don't know quite how to describe the patterns though as I have very limited experience with Esterbrook pens. Only the blue one has an Esterbrook nib. The other two are fitted with Osmiroid nibs. I think the colours are accurate here, based on my hobonichi cover which actually is that shade of green.

fpn_1436525365__dscn0856.jpg

Those are earlier Streakier patterned Esties. VERY nice ones.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• OcalaFlGuy

• pajaro

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if they can be sold at all, and certainly I won't be able to retrieve the cost, even on the ones with 9284s and 9312s. Hopeless, hopeless.

I've messaged you before about maybe taking those unusual nibs off your hands...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Pajaro, for the sub-$15 price it varies. I enjoy replacing the sac and cleaning them up, so really all I look for is that if there is a nib that it isn't trashed, the clip isn't messed up and that the jewels are intact. I cross my fingers that the j-bar will be in one piece, too, but really, they usually come dirty/kinda gross looking, clean up fast and easy and are good to go after a sac replacement. I keep mine, so I don't buy them to resell, although if I were picking up 26/month I certainly would be! LOL

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

Was just on the bay and saw that a 9128 nib (just the nib) sold for $52.50 w/ $6.00 shipping. I really think that is way too much for that nib BUT then again I'm not the one selling (or buying) it.

Luckily I have two pens with this particular nib so I am only curious about the pricing. I know it's a very nice nib and the flexibility is also quite nice, but for that kind of money I would rather spend a little bit more and get a nice (even a no-name) vintage pen with a flex nib.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Pajaro, for the sub-$15 price it varies. I enjoy replacing the sac and cleaning them up, so really all I look for is that if there is a nib that it isn't trashed, the clip isn't messed up and that the jewels are intact. I cross my fingers that the j-bar will be in one piece, too, but really, they usually come dirty/kinda gross looking, clean up fast and easy and are good to go after a sac replacement. I keep mine, so I don't buy them to resell, although if I were picking up 26/month I certainly would be! LOL

You are doing some value-added on these. So, your sub fifteen dollar pens are pens a little rough perhaps, in need of restoration but with all the irreplaceable parts intact. That's a lot different from buying pens in good condition for less than fifteen dollars.

I am not planning on buying any more pens at all, and I waver about selling most of them. Esterbrook has been very interesting, though, and I have learned a lot about pens from working on them. I did have some fun the other day putting a Pelikan 14K OM nib unit into a blue J. Almost like a Relief nib.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have shipped items to Canada, and it seemed to cost about $10 US to send parts in an envelope, and about double to use a small priority box.

Reading the above claims to have purchased Esterbrooks < $15, I wonder what might be the condition of these pens, and what you would expect to sell them for.

I had thought to try to sell my Esterbrooks with 9xxx nibs for about $25 or $30 shipped CONUS, but I can see that is futile. I wonder if they can be sold at all, and certainly I won't be able to retrieve the cost, even on the ones with 9284s and 9312s. Hopeless, hopeless.

The prices quoted for shipping to Canada are so high, that they are often higher than the pen itself. As a result I have not been able to buy any pens for the past year.

If it were not for the shipping costs, I would have gone for that grey Estie, because I gave away both the J and SJ grey ones I had, so never ended up with one for myself.

I paid $28 for this green J unrestored (but free shipping) - too much but I want a green J, not a gray-green one, and the seller assured me that the color in the picture is accurate. If it's not, it's going back. And thanks to you all I can resac it myself.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I paid $28 for this green J unrestored (but free shipping) - too much but I want a green J, not a gray-green one, and the seller assured me that the color in the picture is accurate. If it's not, it's going back. And thanks to you all I can resac it myself.

If that doesn't work out, you may PM me. I have a true green one and probably a true green transitional also, with some kind of 9xxx nib. Working too. If you wanted it I could supply one with a Pelikan two tone 14K OM nib from the M400 line. Just like a Relief.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I just spent $29 on a black Estie, the highest I've gone yet, but that was specifically for the nib it's carrying (9128, finally!). Normally I stop at $15 on J/LJ/SJs unless there's some reason I really want it (color, nib, whim...)

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

If that doesn't work out, you may PM me. I have a true green one and probably a true green transitional also, with some kind of 9xxx nib. Working too. If you wanted it I could supply one with a Pelikan two tone 14K OM nib from the M400 line. Just like a Relief.

A green transitional? Thanks, pajaro, you'll likely be hearing from me in the next week.

I just spent $29 on a black Estie, the highest I've gone yet, but that was specifically for the nib it's carrying (9128, finally!). Normally I stop at $15 on J/LJ/SJs unless there's some reason I really want it (color, nib, whim...)

You could look at that as $10 for the pen, $19 for the nib, Below going price for Both. Well Done. I did the same deal on the first Estie I ever restored, The Green Monster. I purposely got it in Green as that's my least favorite Estie color in case I messed my first pen up AND it Also had a Flexie in it. Both were around $25. A no brainer right there.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Here's the green J, freshly resacced and ready to write. When I first looked at it I thought it was warped but it's an optical illusion due to, I think, the way the streaks curve. I put a level on it to make sure. :rolleyes:

It's a nice green and I really like the pattern.

post-115055-0-36096800-1437928717_thumb.jpg

You could look at that as $10 for the pen, $19 for the nib, Below going price for Both. Well Done. I did the same deal on the first Estie I ever restored, The Green Monster. I purposely got it in Green as that's my least favorite Estie color in case I messed my first pen up AND it Also had a Flexie in it. Both were around $25. A no brainer right there.

Pretty much exactly how I am looking at it -- especially with some of the prices I've seen the 9128 go for.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested