Any Favorites For Old Rotring 600?

scapegoat

Unearthed my old first gen Rotring 600 with M nib and now overwhelmed by today's ink choices. Anyone have experience? I'm intrigued by blue-black styles and perhaps graphit-y shades but standard warm or cool blacks are good to know. Just nervous after reading up on viscosity, pigments, clogging, ruining pens and the like. My old Rotring is the only pen I've got at the moment but that will probably change soon!

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scapegoat

• macaddicted

• Sandy1

• Abner C. Kemp

The Rotring 600 is entirely suitable as a bolt replacement in a crossbow. To that end you might think in terms of red. If anyone asks tell them you refill through direct arterial withdrawals. Mention in passing you are running low and would they mind providing a fresh batch of "ink." I've found that giggling when asking helps with the last part.

Seriously, it's a black/silver pen. Everything goes with black or silver.

:W2FPN:

Hi,

When I'm in the field, I use a 600 paired with a 'high maintenance' iron-gall ink. That combo has proven to be profoundly reliable and trouble-free.

I've another 600 with a gold alloy nib that I've used with many inks, and that has also proven to be trouble-free - no Achilles heel.

Just keep your pen topped-up with fresh ink, use it on a daily basis, and don't let it dry-out. As you have but one pen that's easily done.

Kindly take a shufti at the entries in the Ink Review Forum, which hold a trove of information about specific inks.

Oh, I find the ergonomics of the 600 a bit awkward, so to prevent developing muscle memory and odd writing mechanics from using that pen so intensively, I switch to a pen of lower mass and more standard shape when I'm not in the field. (So that makes me an enabler - you come to Inky Thoughts, and I propose using a second pen. Beware of those enablers Members who suggest acquiring more than ten ink samples to try-out.)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks S1, I have placed an order for another pen and gobs of ink samples after spending hours rifling through the Ink Reviews forum. It was inevitable and only a matter of time. FPN and your friendly enabling have created yet another monster.

I'll list a few different inks that I consider "safe" (i.e. they shouldn't do any harm to the pen), hopefully you'll find something that suits you. My favorites are underlined.

Aurora Black

Kaweco Black

Cross Black

Parker Quink Black

Waterman Black

Pelikan 4001 Black

Pilot Blue-Black

Kaweco Midnight Blue
Montblanc Midnight Blue (The new non IG Version)

Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo

Parker Quink Blue-Black

Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black

Waterman Blue-Black

Diamine Graphite

Montblanc Oyster Grey

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

Thanks, Abner! I've actually got a few of those ordered as samples already and can't wait to try them. I'm considering retiring the ol' Rotring to the Wernicke case since it's so rare and hard to find parts for, just bringing it out for special occasions. My original intention with this post was to seek other's possible experience with different inks and this particular old pen. Since I use it infrequently, my concern was irreparable damage by my lack of understanding and experience.

Diving into newer pens will certainly remedy this as I will probably soon own a few that I will feel good about using on a daily basis ;)