Mb Newbie With A 144 Question

ScienceChick

I finally succumbed to the MB lure and just bought a 144 in bordeaux. The section is black which research here tells me is correct, assuming the pen is from the first 18 months of production. I was thinking of getting a bordeaux section/nib and found these in the classifieds. I freely admit ignorance and my questions are: do these appear to be authentic and is the price reasonable? They seem a little pricey but my observation is that most things MB are. TIA for educating me.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScienceChick

• meiers

• Frank C

• Cordovian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is highly unlikely that anyone would/could post counterfeit pens or parts in the FPN classifieds so you are safe to assume they are genuine. As for the price, I think it is very reasonable and may order one for my 144.

Thanks, Cordovian, that makes sense. I appreciate the guidance on pricing.

I only have the seller's pictures at this point but here are a couple. I'm promised that what looks like a scratch is a reflection. The nib looks okay, tines may need to be aligned - and it's dirty. post-115055-0-39621200-1435782933_thumb.jpg

post-115055-0-12427700-1435782691_thumb.jpg

Nice.

Looking forward to hearing how it writes and maybe a writing sample.

That's a very nice-looking monotone nib.

Edited by meiers

The seller seems to be legitimate. There are a lot of old MB parts floating around. What nib size do you want?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Nice.

Looking forward to hearing how it writes and maybe a writing sample.

That's a very nice-looking monotone nib.

I'll follow up. Thanks for the comment about the nib; hearing that from someone who knows what they're talking about makes me less concerned about it.

The seller seems to be legitimate. There are a lot of old MB parts floating around. What nib size do you want?

The one I bought comes with an F and I was planning to get the OM.

That pen is nice. I have a few 144s in bordeaux. One I bought in 1983 and one I bought in 1990 had black sections. When I sent the one bought in 1990 to Montblanc in Texas for service, it came back with a red section. I have a red medium, red fine, red stub and a black extra fine 144. These are the best C/C pens I have. They always write.

I also have one with a bordeaux barrel, blue section and a Parker 45 cap. This pen works beautifully.

I have given a few 144s away to valued friends.

The section and nib prices in the link are excellent. Sections typically sell for $50 +, and nibs sometimes sell for upwards of $100. Ebay prices.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

My 144 arrived today and I'm very pleased. The feed was full of navy ink and there was a lot of dried ink on the nib; a little bulb syringe and USC time and it looks beautiful and writes smoothly. I usually prefer broader nibs but think this F and I will get along just fine.post-115055-0-34450900-1436218864_thumb.jpg

My 144 arrived today and I'm very pleased. The feed was full of navy ink and there was a lot of dried ink on the nib; a little bulb syringe and USC time and it looks beautiful and writes smoothly. I usually prefer broader nibs but think this F and I will get along just fine.attachicon.gifWP_20150706_16_28_19_Pro.jpg

Very nice pen. I have a 144 Bordeaux that I like very much.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Nice writing, too!

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Thanks! The only thing that concerns me is that it will want siblings.

Thanks! The only thing that concerns me is that it will want siblings.

That is the unfortunate thing about fountain pens we all share my son. lol

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Congrats, the 144 is a very fine pen. I love mine and have used it for several years.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer