Anyone Going To The Pelikan Hubs?

musicman123

How do you see the number of people registered for each location?

Upon completing the registration, it shows you what your selection is for the Hub Choice, but you can click through to maybe select another hub location. Just going to that page without changing anything you can see a listing of all the hubs and the participant counts for each.

After completing the registration and exiting, it's a bit of work. You have to click on "Change your Data", it will ask for your email address and once provided, it will email you a PIN. You enter that back into the site and you can see/change your information on the page.

You can select "Click here to find your Hub choices" and it will show you all of the hubs listed out with the respective participant count for each one next to it.

Sorry for the long answer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• musicman123

• fireant

• sargetalon

• conib

Upon completing the registration, it shows you what your selection is for the Hub Choice, but you can click through to maybe select another hub location. Just going to that page without changing anything you can see a listing of all the hubs and the participant counts for each.

After completing the registration and exiting, it's a bit of work. You have to click on "Change your Data", it will ask for your email address and once provided, it will email you a PIN. You enter that back into the site and you can see/change your information on the page.

You can select "Click here to find your Hub choices" and it will show you all of the hubs listed out with the respective participant count for each one next to it.

Sorry for the long answer.

Aha! Thanks!

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

I just signed up for it now.

It shows a list of all locations and the number of participants for each.

San Francisco is at 17, we need to bump that up people!

Tainan, Taiwan has like 74 participants!! Is that like for real ??

Is you search #pelikanhubs on fb you'll see a picture of their 2014 gathering. I think there were at least 50 people in that picture! :)

Is you search #pelikanhubs on fb you'll see a picture of their 2014 gathering. I think there were at least 50 people in that picture! :)

Woah that is huge!!!

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

What I don't understand is when people say London won last year. What does that mean? Did they have the most people? What did they win?

Inquiring minds want to know.

What I don't understand is when people say London won last year. What does that mean? Did they have the most people? What did they win?

Where did you see them saying that? Maybe it just won to be a location in the UK?

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

SF isn't on the list.

But "San Francisco" is.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Google Pelikan Hubs 2014 or #pelikanhubs and you will see people mention it.

Nothing that I'm aware of. I'm not sure to what you're referring and a Google search did not turn anything up. I don't think London had the most people so I'm not sure what they would have 'won.'

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Does anyone have any info about last years' Boston Hub, please? Thanks!

Acer wrote: <I can't believe New Zealand has one whilst we have none in Australia????

I think there may be a moral in that fact, Acer, old chap -- and, secondly: perhaps you should have applied to be a Hub Master, then they'd surely have had to accommodate you...? Is it too late, I wonder?

So, who is this year's San Francisco hub master?

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Excited that year two of Pelikan Hubs is upon us and Toronto will be hosting another Pelikan Hub. New time, new hub master this year and opportunities to build on the fun from last year's Pelikan Hub event. I'm all signed up and ready to relax this year not being the Hub Master. Woo Hoo.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 2 months later...

OK, I keep hearing about this. Seems like some big covert operation that everyone knows about.

I didn't register. I have somewhere between 50-60 Pelikans left, about 20 of which are pre-1940 including two Lizards and a nice pair of Tortoise/RHR pens. The rest are for the most part pre-1970 but there might be a modern one in there yet.

So am I to understand that if I were to show up for a show and tell I wouldn't be let in because it is a secret that everyone is talking about on facebook and I don't generally play there?

Better yet, would the Penguin be allowed to show up for show and tell even if he wasn't registered?

Just curious why what seems to be a marketing event would be a secret. I need some help understanding this.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The secret with everyone talking about it is an improvement over last year, the first time, when no one bothered to tell the vast majority of us what it was so we would know to sign up for the secret, and then it was held at some diner close to the airport rather than in the city proper, which we go to on weekends anyway, and the first we heard of it was at the local pen show.

OK, I keep hearing about this. Seems like some big covert operation that everyone knows about.

I didn't register. I have somewhere between 50-60 Pelikans left, about 20 of which are pre-1940 including two Lizards and a nice pair of Tortoise/RHR pens. The rest are for the most part pre-1970 but there might be a modern one in there yet.

So am I to understand that if I were to show up for a show and tell I wouldn't be let in because it is a secret that everyone is talking about on facebook and I don't generally play there?

Better yet, would the Penguin be allowed to show up for show and tell even if he wasn't registered?

Just curious why what seems to be a marketing event would be a secret. I need some help understanding this.

Farmboy

Hi

Registration opened in late May and they used the size of the cities and I believe the number of early registrants to determine which towns would have hubs. There is one in SF.

Pelikan sponsors the event and provides Swag to those who registered (registration closed July 30th). There were posts here and in the Pelikan Forum talking about it.

Ok so why it's kind of quiet now.

It was up to the volunteer Hub Masters to procure a site. There was no budget. So if there is a fee either the participants chip in or the Hub Master pays the fee, or they try to find a place that will accommodate X number of people. So you can imagine how difficult it would be once the site is picked (for the number or registered folks) for more/additional people trying to attend. Since you didn't register, it's up to the hub master whether they can or can not accommodate you.

You'd always be welcome to drive up to Portland and bring your pens to visit us at the hub!

:)

Edited by fireant

Yeah, what fireant said. There's supposedly some sort of swag involved, which is I think why they needed people to sign up in advance -- to get a headcount (i.e., so there's enough to go around).

I finally heard back from the Pittsburgh Hubmaster yesterday, and he's secured a location (with parking -- always a good thing in Pittsburgh). But there was a fair amount of lack of communication and miscommunication up till yesterday (which ended up with a couple of us contacting Pelikan going "What is going on here?"). But issues appear to be resolved, now, and I'm looking forward to Friday night.

Yeah, it's all a marketing ploy on Pelikan's part, as far as I'm concerned (which is why I avoided it last year). But I know several of the people from Steel City Nibs who are signed up, and geeking about pens is always a good time. And the location of the Pittsburgh Hub has pretty good food, if nothing else (we have SCN meetings at another location of the same chain). So now my main goal for tomorrow is to pack the pens and ink (and decide if I'm bringing stuff other than Pelikan products) and the little gold pen stand to "oversee" the proceedings. And figure out how early I will have to leave my house to get there by 5 PM, because I will have to deal with Friday night rush hour... (at least the Pirates have an away game tomorrow night, because I have to drive almost past PNC Park to get to the Hub).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

FarmBoy, we'd love to see you, and whatever pens you'd care to bring, at the Seattle Hub tomorrow evening. If you're planning to be up here tomorrow evening, PM me if interested and I'll let you know the details.

Again, we'd love to see the Penguin at the Seattle Hub. Again, if he's planning to be in the area, and is interested in attending, please PM me.

I think Fireant gave a pretty good explanation of the situation, but if you have any more questions, please post or PM.

I was able to reserve a space that could hold a few (not a lot, but some) more people than the total registered, and at this point there's still some (very, very limited) space available. The SF hub jockey may or may not have been so lucky -- finding a good venue was a tough thing this year.

-- Constance

Yeah, what fireant said. There's supposedly some sort of swag involved, which is I think why they needed people to sign up in advance -- to get a headcount (i.e., so there's enough to go around).

If you've ever been given an invitation to come to a "special demo room" at a trade show, this is pretty similar in that there's nicer swag, it's invitation-only, and the location is kept confidential so that the venue isn't overwhelmed.

However, what's different is that we don't have any budget to pay for the venue (nor for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres), and it's up to all the attendees to create our own demos.

If you've ever been given an invitation to come to a "special demo room" at a trade show, this is pretty similar in that there's nicer swag, it's invitation-only, and the location is kept confidential so that the venue isn't overwhelmed.

Well, obviously the Hub isn't "invitation-only", it's "by registration only". (But the concept is somewhat analogous.)