Pen Storage

Classics

Hello Everyone: I have a quick question regarding pen storage.

I am a newbie in the fountain pen world and wondering what is the best way to store fountain pens.

Upright or lying down?

I need to get a pen case for my new fountain pens and don't want to buy something that goes against pen edict.

Sincerely,

Mr. Classics

"Churn the Butter"

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Classics

• roberto v

• sam

• daveg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i think if the pen is devoid of ink...then it doesnt really matter...

but if the pen is inked, then upright would be best imo.

Edited by sam

Upright reduces chances for a clog. On the side can solve hard starting/dry out issues with many pens. I try not to leave pens on the side if they're going to sit for weeks, but if I'm going to use it in hours or the next day, then I tend to prefer on the side.

(There's a poll about this somewhere wink.gif)

Store it empty and cleaned out. Only exception might be some older pens with certain sacs, but I'll leave that to others to comment on.

Otherwise, it makes no difference in what position you store them.

Rather than spending money on a cabinet or box, you might consider converting a cigar box for this purpose. There's a thread about this in the Paraphrenalia forum. It takes all of 35 minutes and you'll save your money for pens!

Bob

I wonder if it just depends upon the pen and/or ink, as well as the time?

I have a Parker 51 vacumatic with a fine nib that is a rather dry starter if I leave it stored standing up for about a week. However, if I leave it laying down for several weeks, it writes immediately upon use--no leakage problems.

If you store a pen standing up, will the ink in the feed trickle back into the ink chamber until the feed is dry? My thought is that it wouldn't... and if the cap doesn't create a strong seal, the trace ink would dry up. By leaving the pen lying down, the feeder remains soaked in ink and thus it won't dry out... however, if left for a very long time, I'd expect the moisture would evaporate and leave either thick or dried ink in the feed.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Hello Classics,

I am new as well and had the same question earlier. I purchased a 6-pen acrylic stand from www.swisherpens.com for $15.00. I only have two pens so far; this pix is from the Swisher site.

Cheers,

Richard in Texas

post-34-1176225286_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coche_y_bondhu

I keep my pens horizontally in a desk drawer. Some of the pens will start writing after months of being unused, others are more fussy and need water on the nib or a shake to get started. This seems to be related more to the pen itself than the horizontal storage.

Thanks for the info, I will be taking all of the ideas in consideration.

Sincerely,

Mr. Classics...............

biggrin.gif

"Churn the Butter"

I tend to keep my inked pens lying horizontally, either in a tray, a pen rest, or on my desk. Other inked pens may be in a frog or a rack in a vertical position. I think the best course is to try it out for yourself and see what works best. Many of my pens tend to write better if they've been in a horizontal position. A few will leak ink into the cap if left for a week or so; those stay vertical.

There is no right answer - except perhaps to not keep them nib down.

Have fun with your pens.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I store all unfilled pens horizontally in cases. Vertically nib up for all inked pens except Pelikan 400s, which seem to do fine lying horizontally on a desk indefinitely.

Phil

Hi Sam and all

Yes, it's my Hemingway, bought when they come out and nobody wanted them (I also get 50$ discount for this reason) ! roflmho.gif

I think the Leica was just thrown in there as added insult :P

Nice set up!

"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older".