What 51 Cap Is This?

mitto

Have lately acquired a Parker 51 aerometric with a cap that has an usually wide band and a tapering feather (long arrow clip) pattern with '51' and "1/10 14 ct R Gold" (as opposed to the usual '12 ct...') engraved on the back. I was told it was a 1st year English 51.

I have googled and read somewhere the same about this 51 cap but don't remember where. The cap came with a navy grey pen on whose barrel the "made in England" could clearly be read but the date code has somehow become unreadable. I mounted the cap on this forest green pen because I like this 51 of mine the most for two reasons. Firstly , because it was my first 51 that I bought back in 1991 (it is a first year "6 times" filler pen) . And , secondly because I like the forest green color.

I was wondering if I can get more information on this particular 51 cap. Here it is :

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• mariom

• christof

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Kahn, it's not quite the same, The cap you reference has a horizontal line running around the bottom of the vertical ones, which your cap lacks.

One thing the caps article at parker51.com highlights though, is that there was a nearly endless variety of P51 caps produced over the years. Good luck on finding the provenance of yours.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

clip looks unusual.

Now that you mention that, the slight taper on the feathers isn't present on any of my 51 clips.

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Actually Kahn, it's not quite the same, The cap you reference has a horizontal line running around the bottom of the vertical ones, which your cap lacks.

One thing the caps article at parker51.com highlights though, is that there was a nearly endless variety of P51 caps produced over the years. Good luck on finding the provenance of yours.

Yes. But every other detal is the same as on this cap. I mean the engraving pattern and the slight taper on the feathers. Yet , you are right that this seems to be a diferent type of 51 cap. May be someone else with more knowledge on the subject chime in.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 weeks later...

clip looks unusual.

just ask ernesto.

c.

I have asked Ernesto and he has replied with some very interesting information about the cap/clip style.

Here is what he said in reply to my email:

"Khan,

You have a early English-made Parker 51 cap. The clip is the first giveaway and it is uniquely English and used in the first and second year of aero production. The pattern is typical of the early English caps too and it is very different from the Canadian and U.S. patterns. The pattern actually carried over from the English 51 vac production, except for that the clip was changed from the blue diamond at some point (and yes, they did use the blue diamond in the English production, contrary to what the 51 book says).

hope that helps,

Ernesto Soler

parker51.com"

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Mariom , see Ernesto's opinion above on the cap/clip style/pattern. Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas