Id This Pelikan?

PDW

Got this pen from eBay and neither I nor the seller can work out which model it is. I've tried the obvious websites but they haven't helped, so can the experts here give me a clue?

Also, the piston mechanism is gummed up and there's dried ink in the ink window. Any advice on how tio disassemble the pen to clean the barrel and regrease the piston?

fpn_1435668625__1.jpg

fpn_1435668673__2.jpg

fpn_1435668663__3.jpg

fpn_1435668687__4.jpg

fpn_1435668697__5.jpg

Thanks to the eBay seller for allowing me to use his images.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PDW

• christof

• Christopher Godfrey

• DrCodfish

Top Posters In This Topic

My first impression is that it is not a Pelikan at all, I'm sorry to say. It does have a gold plated stainless steel nib that is certainly Pelikan manufacture, perhaps from a 120, but that is all. The section, cap top, cap band, and clip look distinctly un-Pelikan to me. I would say this is a non-Pelikan manufactured pen that is somewhat similarly styled to the black Merz & Krell 120 from the 1970's. I'm not 100% on that but that is my gut impression. Happy to hear what others think though and hope that I'm mistaken if you purchased it thinking it was a genuine Pelikan.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I was wondering about its genuineness myself. The odd thing is that the nib indeed looks genuine and the clip looks too Pelikoid for it to be most other brands.

I don't really mind whether or not it's genuine. I actually think that fakes are an interesting class in themselves, and if they write well (as this ought to with a Pel nib if/when I get it working) that's a bonus.

PDW, I think that Sargetalon is spot-on: nothing about its shape says "Pelikan", except that nice nib. You may have seen DickKooty's recent thread concerning German pens whose design was <influenced> by Pelikan and this one looks just so (in that category, that is to say) The clip, especially, <does> look very Pelikan-ish; but it isn't right. When you look at many Germans, their clips often reflect Pelikan design like yours.

My own instant reaction was also "not a Pelikan". It may prove to be a perfectly good writer, when you get it cleaned up.

If you can unscrew the nib assembly, then you could start to get a cleaning solution into the barrel...here in The States there is a really good stuff called Koh-I-noor Rapido-Eze: can you find it in the UK? It is excellent medicine.

(I <hope> you didn't pay too much for it?)

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

I like all these 'ism's', 'ish's', and 'oidism's'. Taxonomy helps us get things in their right order, and taxonomyism makes me laugh(ish).

To me your pen apprears to be absolutely fountain penish. As for cleaning start out easyish and longish. Water and time are the pain ingredients, and the first step. I recommend removing the nib, it being Pelikanoid, it should unscrew. If it won't unscrew soak in in a cup of water for a day, two or three if needed. It should then come out. If that doesn' do the trick, then move on to pen cleaning solutions.

Once the nib is out try the same approach for the barrel; water to cleaning fluids, lots fo soaking and flushing. Remember, time is a primary ingredient, that pen did not turn into a crusty mess over night so whay expect to put it right in 20 minutes. Search this forun for 'how to' with lubing the piston. The key thing to remember is when applying the the silicone grease, you can almost not apply too little so in this case if a little is good, a little less is probably better.

Love to see you get this thing working. And keep in mond, the pen is nice but for me the nib is always more than 50% of the goodness of a pen. A beaitiful pen with a crappy nib usually stays in the box, but an ugly duckling with a faboo nib, they get plenty of time on the paper.

Presumably "taxonomyism" is the process of developing taxonomies of taxonomies. Of course, you then need a taxonomy of the taxonomies of taxonomies and then ... oh dear.

Meanwhile, back at the ink face, the nib seems to be rather stuck after water soaking, so it's going to be out with the Pen Cleaner.

And as for nib vs rest of pen, I love my Wearever with an Eversharp Skyline nib :)

I think the clip looks rather Faber Castelloid...

You're right, it does ... and so does the end of the barrel and even the cap jewel.. Did Faber-Castell make piston fillers like this?

PDW, I bet you never thought your initial post would elicit so many smiles? I can almost <feel> them! :)

PDW, I bet you never thought your initial post would elicit so many smiles? I can almost <feel> them! :)

No, but that's one aspect of the FPN community I really value.

Thanks all.

Now off to the repair forum to find out how to take an Osmia piston filler apart ...