Looking For Assistance In The Usa.

Cryptos

Hi folks,

I am seeking assistance in transferring a smallish sum of money to a recipient in the US for a pen-related product. The recipient has asked for a money order as the preferred method of payment. The recipient is of impeccable reputation, so I have no suspicions about this.

In New Zealand the charge to buy a money order is $25. Quite frankly I think that is a blatant rip-off. What I am looking for is someone in the US who I could transfer the funds to via PayPal, and who would then go and purchase the money order locally and send it via US Post (or equivalent) to the intended recipient. I will cover the PayPal and postal charges too.

Essentially I am seeking a favour here. A small amount of time in order to help out a member in a very distant place.

Obviously I am aware of the risk I may be running with this, but the risk is mine alone. With that in mind I may have to exercise a certain level of discretion should there be more than one person willing to help. I don't know many people on here that well, so I hope you will understand my need for caution.

This is not a big money transfer (well under $100) and is not connected with anything illegal.

If anyone is in a position to aid me with this please PM me for a conversation.

Many thanks in advance.

edit: the forum wont let me capitalise USA. No offence intended by the title. :)

Edited by Cardboard_Tube

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• Bklyn

• ScienceChick

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem you going to run into with people from America is this sound way too familiar to cons put on by people out of the country. Not saying you are out to do any harm but many have so I image you would not get many, if any, offers to help.

Perhaps the recipient of the funds here knows someone with a paypal account who'd be willing to do such a transaction.

Well, this is going nowhere, so perhaps best to knock it on the head.

For those who maybe thought this was some kind of elaborate scam, I was trying to find a sensible and not too expensive way of getting the funds to Bill Lilly, the Master Penman. The money order is his preferred way of doing this.

I guess there is a lot less trust in the http://www.dharmawheel.net/images/smilies/quoteunquote.gif community http://www.dharmawheel.net/images/smilies/quoteunquote.gif here on FPN than people would like to admit, Disappointing really.

Well, there it is. Forget I asked.

Just realized you're the OP; sent you a PM

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Why can you not just send him a personal check, and ask him to wait until the check clears before he ships anything to you?

Also, preferred does not imply only. What are his non preferred methods of payment?

Ask your self he much do you want this or ask him how bad does he want to sell his item.

Tell him of the 25 cost of a money order in your area and them tell him if he can use some other form of payment you will split the 25 with him. Saying you 12.50 and making him an extra 12.50 so every body wins!

Or just pay the 25, or tell him your disappointed with this so call celebrity in the fountain pen work lacks "trust" and call off the deal.

Hopefully you've already found something that works. I think Zaphod was correct for first impressions, but perhaps some details would have helped. I'm just saying that at least for me, if you had said you were trying to get a payment to Bill Lilly, a famous penman and he prefers money orders, then you may have had more success. Maybe not, but specifics always help in this kind of international money shifting kind of thing. Perhaps we're overexposed to schemes to launder money or scam money. It's a shame, but that's the reality of today. That's why specifics tend to make it seem more legit. A general request to transfer money from a foreign person to an unspecified US person for unknown reasons is not something that will tend to engender trust. Wanting to get something from a master penman and he's insisting on a form of payment that adds ridiculous barriers is something we can more understand.

Good luck.

edit for typo

Edited by AAAndrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

AAAndrew, I didn't put too many details in the OP because I didn't want to expose the recipient without good reason. I did invite PMs to discuss.

Anyway, two very kind members have offered to aid me in my little quest, so I have a way forward, for which I am seriously grateful.

As for the OP being a scam, well, I have been fairly active on these boards for quite some time now. I would like to believe that I am reasonably well known - though apparently and obviously not well thought of.

I wouldn't read anything personal into this. This is a friendly community, but unfortunately we don't all know everyone else, and something about requests to transfer money puts up red flags. I understand your reluctance to name names. I just hope this doesn't spoil your enjoyment of FPN.

Glad something will work out. All the best.

Andrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

A hacker or some family friend couple be using your screen name, and all it takes is once and BOOM your getting spam and your bank account is empty and.... Well you get the point.

Anybody can be anybody on the internet so i am very leery of any thing that throws up a red flag even if it was my mom because my long lost grandmother ........ That's is another story.

No hard feeling mate.

I think its fine to put a caution when see this kind of scenario. But honestly, for the small amount of money, i don't really mind. I could just create a new paypal account for you to put money in, later transfer it to my paypal account. No biggie.

Unfortunately i'm not in US right now, otherwise i could give you a hand.

Edited by fly_us

Just realized you're the OP; sent you a PM

This seems a bit, ah, unusual to me. Who is the OP?

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

I am a bit new here so forgive me but this thread seems a bit bizarre at best.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

I am a bit new here so forgive me but this thread seems a bit bizarre at best.