Pen Club - Pppc On July 18 In Berkeley, Ca.....

markh

The next PPPC meeting will be -

July 18,

11:00 - 2:00

at the North Branch of the Berkeley Library.

Here is the url for the library:

https://www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org/locations/north-branch

Address is

1170 The Alameda

Berkeley, CA 94707

Map is here: https://goo.gl/maps/JIKBs

According to Danny (who kindly arranged the location):

The meeting room has its own entrance around the back at ground level http://tinyurl.com/mqmjjao.

It's on Sonoma St.(Entrance to the main library is in the front, up a few stairs).

Street parking is plentiful (and mainly un-metered). There's no parking lot.

We currently have no particular topic, although I’m sure we can get a briefing on the upcoming

San Francisco International Pen Show…

http://sfpenshow.com/SFPENSHOW/Home.html

August 28-30

At the Sofitel in Redwood Shores.

Thanks to Danny Aarons for setting this up.

Mark (Secretary – mailing list)

pppc@marketfire.com

Todd (Treasurer – dues)

eberspacher@gmail.com

ATTN: If you think you are on my email list, and didn't get an email, either my message was caught in your spam filters, or I don't have a current email address. Or your email system is broken. In any case, let me know at pppc@marketfire.com

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markh

• terim

• tenney

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope that the library doesn't mind seller's tables and money changing hands...

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

I sure hope that the library doesn't mind seller's tables and money changing hands...

Well - this was set up by Danny, who has been to a lot of meetings. As to the tables, He said they have them available - I'm sure a few early arrivals will be drafted to help set them up.

As to money - it's never been a problem yet. I guess the answer is to keep things low key.

Maybe we should do all business in bitcoin..... :)

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

Mark, I was just asking because our library specifically didn't allow any sales to take place. Or they didn't used to...

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

I'm not sure I have a direct answer.

I've set up meetings at public locations (like rec centers). They all have rules either restricting businesses, or having a higher fee for for-profit businesses.

I feel we are hobbyists, and occasionally trade or sell a pen. We are not in business, and money changing hands is incidental to why we are there - you only have to look at how few of the pens I bring are actually sold to get the idea :)

Meetings at hotels, while more expensive, have none of these issues. But given our limited budget free venues are a big help in keeping dues down.

I think the key is to be low key. But no guarantees.

• 2 weeks later...

Meeting is tomorrow .....

We will have free Pentalic journals for anyone who buys a Ranga. We are bringing a bunch of custom built Ranga pens with vintage nibs .... Eyedroppers, blow fillers, and some configured for the JoWo set up. We also have some newly commissioned 14k nibs that fit the JoWo housing, which means we can outfit our Rangas with 14k nibs for much less than the $100 or so you have to pay for gold nib upgrades on most modern pens.

We also have a new line of economy ebonites, which we will be debuting for the first time at the meeting.

See you all there!

Teri