Is There Any Fountain Pen Group At Boston Area?

Danube

Hi Everyone!

I am moving to Boston starting from August, and want to go fp enthusiast meetings if there is any group around Boston Area. I tried to check but couldn't find, do you know any?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dwattsjr

• SweetCaroline

• Christopher Godfrey

• jeremyeguzman

Hi! There is a Pelikan Hub coming up! I'm sure you'll meet a lot of people there! This is taking place on Friday, September 25, at 6:30 in Boston! Registration is here : www.pelikan.com/hubs

Danube, welcome to the area!

Google Boston Pen People and you will find a welcoming group, I assure you! There was <just> a meeting two weekends ago, so expect next one during September...(they alternate between Saturdays and Sundays) Get your name onto David's email address list and you will ten get the notifications.

Welcome, also, to you, Jeremy.

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Christopher for the Boston Pen People plug.

We do indeed meet six times a year in various and sundry locations. The next meeting is Sunday, August 23rd at Boston Marriott Burlingon (One Burlington Mall Road, Burlington, MA) at 1.00pm in the lounge area just outside CHOPPS Bar and Grill. Anyone who would like to attend is welcome! This will be a general meeting, so bring your newest acquisitions to show off, stories from the DC Supershow (the previous weekend), and anything else fountain pen-related.

Anyone who would like to be added to the emailing list may email me at dwattsjr@bostonpenpeople.org.

There's this:

http://www.bostonpenpeople.org/Boston_Pen_People/Commonwealth_Pen_Show.html

I went last year--my first show--and enjoyed it immensely. Some called it a small show. Got some trinkets & treasures there. I'm going to the DC show next week, and may still drive 4 hours each way to the Boston show in September. I would recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

There's this:

http://www.bostonpenpeople.org/Boston_Pen_People/Commonwealth_Pen_Show.html

I went last year--my first show--and enjoyed it immensely. Some called it a small show. Got some trinkets & treasures there. I'm going to the DC show next week, and may still drive 4 hours each way to the Boston show in September. I would recommend it.

The new Web site for the Commonwealth Pen Show is now up ...

http://commonwealthpenshow.richardspens.com/index.html

This will be my first pen show. After hearing about so many shows I am really looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna bump this topic because just 2 weeks until ...

The new Web site for the Commonwealth Pen Show is now up ...

http://commonwealthpenshow.richardspens.com/index.html

Thanks dwattsjr. I have a couple comments and questions that I hope someone involved in organizing this show can respond to.

Last years was a good show I thought but lacking a little in some ways - not enough inks and not enough budget pens for instance. I'm hoping to see some of the less common inks and el cheapos. Vendors, bring out all your writing accoutrements please ! Also a couple questions: Is trading allowed at all ? I don't remember seeing anybody with a "wanted to buy" or "for trade" sign taped to their back* like I have at some other types of shows so I don't know if that's a thing with pen shows or not. Also, video/photo taking: good idea y/n ? I'm hoping to at least bring home something more tangible than memories in case I'm further down on my luck than usual.

(*Note: to whoever taped a "wipe nib here" sign to my shirttail, watch your step)

Gonna bump this topic because just 2 weeks until ...

Thanks dwattsjr. I have a couple comments and questions that I hope someone involved in organizing this show can respond to.

Last years was a good show I thought but lacking a little in some ways - not enough inks and not enough budget pens for instance. I'm hoping to see some of the less common inks and el cheapos. Vendors, bring out all your writing accoutrements please ! Also a couple questions: Is trading allowed at all ? I don't remember seeing anybody with a "wanted to buy" or "for trade" sign taped to their back* like I have at some other types of shows so I don't know if that's a thing with pen shows or not. Also, video/photo taking: good idea y/n ? I'm hoping to at least bring home something more tangible than memories in case I'm further down on my luck than usual.

(*Note: to whoever taped a "wipe nib here" sign to my shirttail, watch your step)

Thank you for your comments about last year's show. I am not sure what each of the exhibitors will be bringing to the show this year, but I can tell you that there will likely be a range of vintage and modern pens available for very reasonable prices. One of the exhibitors will be Nathan Tardiff. Nathan will likely bring many of his Noodler's line of inks and inexpensive pens. Laura Donohue, from Bob Slate Stationers, is also bringing along Lamy Safari pens for sale. Pier Gustafson often has a number of very reasonably priced vintage pens available that you can test out first on some amazing vintage paper.

The Commonwealth Pen Show has no policy concerning trading. We don't encourage it or discourage it, leaving it up to individual visitors and/or exhibitors at this time. Hopefully, as everyone mingles and converses, useful connections will result. I know that at past pen shows I have been at, I have made quite a few longstanding connections among others in our community.

Videotaping by visitors is not allowed at the Commonwealth Pen Show. Visitors may take noncommercial photographs for personal use only. Any media people who attend will need to identify themselves to me on entering so that we can be sure not to create any obstructions for exhibitors or visitors.

Edited by dwattsjr

• 9 months later...

There is a meetup group about 90 minutes west of Boston,

www.meetup.com/fountainpenfans

You don't have join Meetup to see the meeting info.

Small group, we are expecting 5 at our next meeting on 6/25/16

And don't forget to register for this years' Boston Pelikan Hub at www.pelikan.com/hubs

The next meeting of the Boston Pen People is Saturday, June 25, 2016 at the Boston Marriott in Burlington, MA 1-3 p.m.

Be there and enjoy the fun!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

How many people are going to the Boston Pen People meeting? Does this meeting have a specific focus? Vintage, modern pens? Ink? Paper?