Here comes a new "ruthless review". These have a few peculiar features:
- Very strict. If a pen costs hundred of euros, no faults are allowed.
- A good pen gets a 60/100,
- A great pen an 80/100,
- An almost perfect one a 90/100.
- Only a divine pen can have above 90.
- Don't care about the box,
- Add a few peculiar criteria:
- Nib appearance;
- Usability in shirt pockets;
- Out-of-the-boxness, meaning to what extent a nib was perfect right after leaving the seller.
Aurora Optima Plain Green Resin, gold trims
Super-classic design from Aurora, in plain green resin (not the marbled auroloide, but the deep forest green that was used some years ago). Like this one.
1. Appearance and design: 10/10
This is one of the designs. It's classy Italian style at its best, elegant, smooth, subdued. How can I not give it a 10?
2. Construction: 6/10
Almost perfectly assembled, but one of the o-rings rotates in its place. Unacceptable on a EUR 300 pen!
3. Quality of materials: 7/10
Everything is really high-quality, but the plastic sounds a bit cheap.
4. Weight and dimensions: 10/10
Absolutely perfect. Thick enough to be handled comfortably, but short enough not to be cumbersome. Great section shape, too!
5. Nib performance: not rated
I will not rate this because this is the typical Aurora "toothy" nib: I personally love it, but some people don't like this. If you're into nibs with a bit of feedback, this gets a 10/10. If you like "buttery smooth" stuff, stay the hell away from this.
6. Nib appearance: 10/10
Typical bit 14k Aurora nib. Some people don't like the design: barbarians!
7. "Out-of-the-boxness": 5/10
The pen couldn't write well before a thorough cleaning. Also, not acceptable, but easily fixable.
8. Filling system and maintenance: 10/10
Aurora's piston filling. Absolutely perfect in smoothness and capacity.
9. Clip and usability with shirts: 8/10
Perfect measure, fits in all shirt pockets. A bit too short for some jacket pockets, though.
10. Cost and value: 8/10
Minus 2 points for that o-ring issue and the out-of-the-boxness weakness, but overall, very good price-quality ratio.
- If you like nibs with feedback, this gets 84/100, which in my rating means really great.
- If you like smooth nibs, it's still a 74/100, which is very good. But then, you wouldn't buy it due to the toothy feeling, so...
My suggestion: get one even if you don't like toothy nibs. With time you'll start appreciating them as well