Which Onoto Fountain Pen Are You Using Today?

______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

this one:

12168614625_c6e2b8a39a_z.jpg

Lovely pen and ink combo :thumbup:

Did I say ruby red in post number #20? Perhaps I should have said tortoiseshell...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• Cob

• richardandtracy

• da vinci

Did I say ruby red in post number #20? Perhaps I should have said tortoiseshell...

You could always aim to get both :)

thanks ;) they made only 100 of these (now that's what i call a limited edition), so if one ever turns up for sale, grab it!

Check out my blog and my pens

Oh I agree, if they ever get back to manufacturing pens and come up with a blue and green version similar to the Royal Ruby, I would be very poor very quickly.

The pale blue and the jade did nothing for me, and the error in the chasing for the purple Asprey edition really put me off (and I have checked my blue Chased Magna and could not see a similar flaw, so I'm curious as to what happened with the purple one)

Back on topic - Magna Classic in Royal Ruby (Edelstein Onyx) and Magna Classic in chased blue (Diamine Midnight).

just a note about the so called error in the chasing, i believe the regular Magna classic has a different pattern of chasing than the Purple Asprey, The Asprey Chasing does not show any "error on the barrel and i think they wanted the matching pattern on the cap which it larger dia than barrel caused the "error".

On the Asprey pen, something certainly went slightly wrong. I have a horrible feeling it just wasn't noticed, or it was to get around a software limitation. Either way, it could have been cured with a manual edit of the G Code file - it's only text after all. Here's one I did for one of my pens:

(Program for engraving the barrel on the lazy spiral pen)
(hand coded.)
(Work diameter 13mm)
(Depth of engraving 0.31mm)
(Work CL at X=0,Y=0,Z=0 along X axis)
(Rotates 60 degrees in 42mm, same as cap = 78.243 at x65)
(Tool: 15.88mm round nosed router)
G40 G71 G90 G90.1
G0 Z10
G0 X10.23 Y0 A0
F200
(Strand 1 CW)
G1 Z6.27
G1 X65 A-78.243
G0 Z10
G0 A-123.243
(Strand 2 CW)
G1 Z6.27
G1 X10.23 A-45
G0 Z10
G0 A-90
(Strand 8 CW)
G1 Z6.27
G1 X10.23 A-315
G0 Z10
(End)
G0 A0

M30

The coding isn't hard, just lots to think about. Anyway, that code above does the spiral for this pen's barrel:

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/penmaking/Pen%20Assy%20Lazy%20Spiral_zpsw4ypxlto.jpg

Regards,

Richard.

just a note about the so called error in the chasing, i believe the regular Magna classic has a different pattern of chasing than the Purple Asprey, The Asprey Chasing does not show any "error on the barrel and i think they wanted the matching pattern on the cap which it larger dia than barrel caused the "error".

Whether it is an error or intentional, unfortunately, I and others find that it detracts from the pen. After all, the regular Magna Classics have a larger diameter cap than barrel, and yet the chasing on these does not have a similar issue. I accept that the pattern is different - but to me, this issue really detracts from what should have been a beautiful pen.

It's a shame - and I'd like to see Onoto back in business supplying great looking pens.

A sweet Onoto 16 in pink/red marbled celluloid. I just restored it, am trying it out before selling. There's something truly special about Onotos, even the lever fillers.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

It's a shame - and I'd like to see Onoto back in business supplying great looking pens.

Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying that Onoto has shut its doors and has gone the way of Conway Stewart?

It hasn't gone the way of CS, but for some reason I don't understand, the 'standard' colours of the Magna Classic range seem unavailable on the website (black, blue & havanna chased/plain). It is possible that there is a query over the copyright ownership of these pens. I do hope not, but cannot see any other possible reason why these would no longer be available.

Regards,

Richard

Okay, gotcha, had me worried for a moment. Over here in the States there is not a huge Onoto presence but they are my favorite Fountain pens!

I know that every since January when two of the main people left the company it seems that things over at Onoto have been, for lack of a better word, Stagnant. I have talked with the only American Dealer of Onoto and he says they are supposed to have some new pens coming soon, but you know how that can be.

Here is to the future!

Not mine but I thought this auction had some nice photos of a uncommon Onoto.

Yes that is a lovely one; repair would be a bit fiddly though!

Meanwhile what about this one that sold today? Were I better off it would be mine. I really fancy a Mammoth! I think that the buyer got a real bargain.

Cob

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

A while back I started two lists. On the first list were pens that I could reasonably expect to either acquire or at least try out. It was a very short list. Still is. On the the second list were those pens that I felt would never enter my sphere of influence. This was a huge, depressing list. Among the many, many pens on this list was the Onoto brand.

As I am slowly drifting away from fountain pens I still look at these threads with a certain wistfulness, knowing that some things are never meant to be. There are some truly lovely examples posted here.

Yes that is a lovely one; repair would be a bit fiddly though!

Meanwhile what about this one that sold today? Were I better off it would be mine. I really fancy a Mammoth! I think that the buyer got a real bargain.

Cob

Cob

Wow, now that's a one-of-a-kind FP.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

A while back I started two lists. On the first list were pens that I could reasonably expect to either acquire or at least try out. It was a very short list. Still is. On the the second list were those pens that I felt would never enter my sphere of influence. This was a huge, depressing list. Among the many, many pens on this list was the Onoto brand.

As I am slowly drifting away from fountain pens I still look at these threads with a certain wistfulness, knowing that some things are never meant to be. There are some truly lovely examples posted here.

When I started, I never imagined I would have Swans or Onotos; I remember writing to someone that I would stick with National Security and Croxley pens.

However, a degree of application and patience has paid off. Also I have found it helpful to remember Oscar Wilde's famous dictum:

"The one thing worse than not having what you want is having it."

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Not for me. I have had the most depressing eBay experience so far. Two Sheaffer pens - a Prelude and a Compact 1 - just sold as a lot for... $5.50 + shipping. To say that my enthusiasm for this hobby is now pretty much at rock bottom would be a droll understatement. I might as well just give the stuff away.

Not for me. I have had the most depressing eBay experience so far. Two Sheaffer pens - a Prelude and a Compact 1 - just sold as a lot for... $5.50 + shipping. To say that my enthusiasm for this hobby is now pretty much at rock bottom would be a droll understatement. I might as well just give the stuff away.

That is a bad do I must say.

I became complacent, thinking I had established a "name" on ebay" - this is of course essential - but a few weeks ago I sold a really nice Onoto 5601; it made £37, a loss following an elaborate rebuild using parts from another pen that I had to break up, of about £80. And a few days later an identical pen sold for £118.

Brings to mind that irritating epression "you have to take the rough with the smooth."

Cob

Yeah, fine sentiments and all that. I don't recall any particular 'smooth' parts as yet. Thinking back it is hard to recall a single 'good' buy. Everything has been pretty much at market price. This is not the right game for me, at all. I do not have the heart, the skill, or the ruthlessness for it.

I have no doubt this is giving someone a good laugh somewhere.

Edited by Empty_of_Clouds