Ef Vs F Nib Dilemma On My M805 Stresemann

shah

I broke down and bought another M805 in Blue with EF nib (should be here in a week) to keep my Stresemann company when the nib replacement comes in.

I think with M8xx I have found the perfect pen for me: I like that it is not too big, has decent weight and heft without being too heavy. Which is great news for my hands, but bad news for my wallet.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shah

• Frank C

• sargetalon

• Lam1

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke down and bought another M805 in Blue with EF nib (should be here in a week) to keep my Stresemann company when the nib replacement comes in.

I think with M8xx I have found the perfect pen for me: I like that it is not too big, has decent weight and heft without being too heavy. Which is great news for my hands, but bad news for my wallet.

I agree. The M800 series is very nearly the perfect fountain pen. I just have so many others to try.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

My M1000 nib replacement took just under 30 days to be returned to me from Chartpak. My EF nib unit had to come from the mothership as well. My story sounds similar to yours. I ordered mine with the F nib, but when I got it the F was just too much for my style of writing. I could deal with the line width, but the line width combined with the amount of ink it laid down was just too much for me. I used it for about a week to be sure I wanted to go with an EF, and then made the call. Since getting it back, its been perfect. The EF is perfect for me. While my M1000 was off getting swapped, I also picked up an M800 blue EF. Now, both pens are fantastic.

Those birds do reproduce quickly, don't they? ;)

I agree that the M800's are (nearly) the perfect pen, for exactly the same reasons as you. The only thing I would change is to add a little bit of spring to the nibs.

Edited by Lam1

As my exp., the new nibs size F is more like M sizes of the old Pelikan nibs. I faced these problem on M400 White Tortoise and other, maybe you should choose EF instead of F if you want to get actually Fine nib.. If you couldn't change the nib, then change the more dry ink to write with!

No pen is best pen.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my replacement EF nib for the Stresemann from Chartpak.

It is scratchy, skips on horizontal strokes and occasionally on vertical strokes too. Reverse writing is impossible (I do a lot of technical writing and this comes in handy).

Basically the complete opposite of my other M805 Blue which also has EF nib.

(Yes I did flush it before inking with 4001 black and I am using rhodia dotpad).

What am I to do? Send it again (incur yet another shipping charge) and wait for another month? These are not cheap pens. How does Pelikan get it so wrong, they are only focused on pens. Their other German counterpart is focused on everything but pens and yet does an excellent job.

Side note: Shabby packaging from Chartpak. TWSBI's $18 replacement nib comes in a nice protective plastic shell, not wrapped in a paper napkin.

Edited by shah

You might want to try flushing the nib really good before consider sending it back. My most recent purchase of Pelikan, 805 Demo came with a nib that was skippy. I rinsed it good to get rid of any oil and possible foreign elements out of the nib unit, then run a few rounds of ink through it. It writes noticeably better with no skipping or dryness. It's a shame the nib/pen doesn't come fully clean and ready to write smoothly, but I've had similar experience with many pens from different (well regarded) brands recently.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this kind of trouble.

It sounds to me like they sent you a misaligned nib. I had the same experience with chartpak (minus the shabby packaging), the sent me a replacement EF that was unusable due to misalignment. It is a shame that they don't even look at the replacement parts that they send. But I agree with Sug that many brands have similar problems, as can be inferred from this website (and by experience).

Check it under a loupe and, if it is misalignment, it is easy to fix. You can follow the nice advice given by Bo Bo Olson and other nice folks in this thread

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/289336-i-am-getting-tired-of-these-misaligned-nibs/

It is a bit scary at first, but it is really easy as they say.

Good luck.

Thanks Lam. I guess I'll see what the turnaround time is for Chartpak. If it is again about a month, will probably have to take matters in my own hands. Super frustrating.

Pelikan nibs are a matter of taste, they do write broad. I like Aurora better, since it's a smaller company with a smaller production line and the nibs have more craftsmanship and individuality. I do think that Pelikan is very good at turning out consistency and reliability.

I wish they had more b&m presence, too, since I refuse to order such sensitive and expensive products online.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I agree that most Pelikans work well out of the box. But there seems to be a significant minority for whom this is not the case (when do individual data points cease being anecdotal evidence and start counting as statistically significant part of the pen buying population?). So I think that Pelikan should pay more attention to its quality control.

More important is the question of what happens when the inevitable lemon arrives (however often that may be). If you want a different nib size, it is fair you should pay shipping. But when the tines of your pen arrive misaligned (as mine recently did, despite asking the authorised dealer to check before sending), it is entirely inappropriate to have to pay the cost of shipping. This should be for Pelikan to bear.

And yes, buying in a B&M store is ideal, but that is a luxury increasingly reserved for the lucky few.

If the EF nib was put right in the pen and inked right up, it might tend to skip until the feed gets saturated for a day or so. Worth trying. On the other hand, I have a medium that skipped and did need tuning by an expert.

I have an M400 EF nib that writes wetter and broader than my M400 F nib. I don't understand it, but both are great to use, each for what it gives.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

According to the dealer I bought my M800 the nibs are hand tuned. He visited the factory and told me a whole story about it, how oldtimers are looking at nibs etc.

They must just be going to old folks homes or and grabbing random old people off the street and setting them to work on the M1000 nibs.

:lticaptd:

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I don't think you can make a blanket statement about the QC of Pelikan's nibs being 'dismal' based on anecdotal evidence. I do think there is room for improvement and would love to see Pelikan pay more attention to this area of manufacturing. Granted, a pen that does not write well out of the box is very frustrating but this is an issue that affects all manufacturers to some extent, including Montblanc. Also, you are likely to see a disproportionate number of complaints on forums like this because satisfied customers are less likely to chime in. My out of box experience has largely been positive and the last 5 new Pelikans I bought have been wonderful writers out of the box. I'm not saying I don't get a lemon from time to time but I wouldn't say it was a problem endemic to the brand. I really hope that EF nib comes out to your liking.

Anecdotally, I have found that the nibs on all the Pelikans (n=9) I have had satisfactory, if not surpassed my expectations.

On the other hand, I have 3 Montblancs that skip and have flow issues. I still love MB, but I am to daunted to buy another MB.

Apologies for sidetracking

Just received my replacement EF nib for the Stresemann from Chartpak.

It is scratchy, skips on horizontal strokes and occasionally on vertical strokes too. Reverse writing is impossible (I do a lot of technical writing and this comes in handy).

Basically the complete opposite of my other M805 Blue which also has EF nib.

(Yes I did flush it before inking with 4001 black and I am using rhodia dotpad).

What am I to do? Send it again (incur yet another shipping charge) and wait for another month? These are not cheap pens. How does Pelikan get it so wrong, they are only focused on pens. Their other German counterpart is focused on everything but pens and yet does an excellent job.

Side note: Shabby packaging from Chartpak. TWSBI's $18 replacement nib comes in a nice protective plastic shell, not wrapped in a paper napkin.

As I live overseas (ie outside USA!) I always warn the sellers that it would be a major headache and costly to go through refund/replacement, and thus the pen has to be perfect. Next time you might want to consider asking them to test it before sending it- that is what I always do when buying new (except when I buy pens that I don't intend to use- ltd edition etc)

Edited by seobe334