The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Got Lucky On A Swan

pens mabie todd swan ebay

10 replies to this topic

#1 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2015 - 22:43

So I saw an auction for a NY Mabie Todd Swan - a gold ringtop, but the photos were so bad you couldn't tell anything about the pen.
So what one does in the circumstances is ask the seller about the nib (of course). The answer prompted me to bid on the thing, and it just arrived. What a treasure for fifty bucks! Very heavy for its size so I think it's solid gold. Very handsome chasing, and a wonderfully flexy #2 nib.
I bought it with my fingers crossed, and I'm very pleased.image.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2015 - 18:07

Sid,

I think that you have been very fortunate indeed.

A great buy, well done.

Is there any model number on the pen?  I presume that it is a New York one?

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• 2,817 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2015 - 19:21

Ooooh. Very nice. Great deal. Ringtops can be a fantastic bargain as they often have more flexible nibs and fewer people like them so the prices can be lower. But this one looks like a steal.

Congrats and thanks for sharing! I look forward to finding out more about it.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#4 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2015 - 22:21

It's marked on the end: ""The Swan Pen" Mabie Todd & Co. New York - Made in U.S.A." The nib's marked "Mabie Todd & Co. N.Y." and a "2". I think there's a "14 K" mark under all that.

The design seems to have been popular; I've seen a few examples online. Mauricio had one...here's a better picture of the design:

Attached Images

• vintage-european-mabie-todd-swan-gold-near-mint-flexible-superflex-nib-fountain-pen-for-sale-14.jpg

#5 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2015 - 00:09

It's marked on the end: ""The Swan Pen" Mabie Todd & Co. New York - Made in U.S.A." The nib's marked "Mabie Todd & Co. N.Y." and a "2". I think there's a "14 K" mark under all that.

The design seems to have been popular; I've seen a few examples online. Mauricio had one...here's a better picture of the design:

It's in glorious condition and seems to have had very little use by the look of it.

I have a rolled gold full-size model, a New York one, probably about the same age as yours, but mine has a sort of barleycorn pattern.  It's lost a bit of plating at the end of the barrel but looks fine with a polish!

The nib like yours is marked Mabie Todd & Co NY 2.  It's a super flexible nib; I am a tremendous fan of MT NY nibs, I have had only one dud (a 2 in a 242/52 lapis) out of quite a number.  The stubs are wonderful too.

I am waiting on a circa 1920 self filler with a NY 3 nib; my fingers are crossed!

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#6 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2015 - 00:58

It's a wonderful writer - Swans are (you should pardon me) the (bleep)!

The tetons!

Edited by sidthecat, 30 June 2015 - 00:58.

#7 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:06

The above picture is not of my pen - it's a twin that's been kept in a slightly better home. The chasing is the same, though, and the nib is very similar.

I can only credit it to blind luck, as the pictures were profoundly uninformative.

#8 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:49

Indeed!

No-one could possibly deny that Mabie Todd knew more than a thing or two about nibs and in particular, making them!

Cob

#9 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:13

OK - I don't pay that much attention to whether or not my MT pens are New York or English made.  Well, only a little.

And that is why we (or at least I) need a Mabie Todd Forum.  

Or, we can just tell everyone to post all MT posts in the GB forum, since it is "the pen of the British Empire" even on some of the American ones!

And, yes, Swans are the bomb.  Great quality, beautiful, and consistently good writers. Shame that the Eternals have nails for nibs.

#10 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:45

OK - I don't pay that much attention to whether or not my MT pens are New York or English made.  Well, only a little.

And that is why we (or at least I) need a Mabie Todd Forum.  

Or, we can just tell everyone to post all MT posts in the GB forum, since it is "the pen of the British Empire" even on some of the American ones!

And, yes, Swans are the bomb.  Great quality, beautiful, and consistently good writers. Shame that the Eternals have nails for nibs.

I agree of course as I did when you started the thread on this very point.  I suppose it is up to we MT devotees to keep the profile up by posting constantly about these wonderful pens.

As for the Eternals, I have just one and being designed to be "Eternal" it is of course very rigid just like the CS Duro and Sheaffer Lifetime.  In fact in its way it writes beautifully and the funny thing is that no matter how long I leave it - inked - it starts immediately.

This is of course an attractive quality; I just wish it were a broad stub - but of course that would have been no good for use with carbon papers!

Cob

#11 Dr. Saleem Ali

Dr. Saleem Ali

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:03

Really great find ! Congrats !

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pens, mabie todd, swan, ebay

Sponsored Content