Id This Waterman Help

penswordnoassemblyrequired

I'm a complete newbie--I know Lady Patricia and that's it.

I got this pen yesterday and it would be nice to know a little more about it.

It has a semi-flex nib with a round breather hole, looks like below Ideal it says 4-K

Watermans on the barrel. Watermans on the clip.

It was beautiful on ebay and gorgeous in real life.

Very good price, AFAIC.

post-111359-0-83631600-1435406539_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penswordnoassemblyrequired

• pen lady

• Ernst Bitterman

• Eccles

Others will chime in if I'm wrong, but I think it is a 1940's Dauntless, I believe the similar Stalwart model had double cap bands. The marking on the nib is most likely 14 Kt and there may be a 2 or 2A way down low where the nib goes into the section, that's the nib size. The colour is called Ivory Pearl. Often, the barrels in this colour pen have ambered, yours hasn't, but I would watch out for the lever, it shouldn't be sticking up from the lever slot like that. Nice pen though, well done. What's the sac like?

Dauntless! Thank you! When I googled I found the Stalwart.

The lever is sticking out only because I didn't push it back in fully. It's my first lever fill and it was a little tight so I didn't want to push it in when I wasn't sure if I'd need to refill soon.

The sac is new and black and it probably should be the clear or whatever the light ones are, right?

It's been...I don't know if restored is the right word but at least brought up to speed. There's a small hairline crack at the top of the cap and the finial (?) is missing. It's not perfect but it is beautiful.

For $52 I got a deal.

Thank you so much for the information.

Going by pg 103 of "Waterman Past & Present...." (Davis & Lehrer) it's a Stalwart. There seem to be 3 or 4 versions.

I'm finding this book quite annoying for it's lack of detail... nothing about the colours or the nibs, and no pics with the caps off.

That said, the pen doesn't seem to get any mention at all in FPOTW.

Glenn.

Is it a Canadian pen? Also, there never was a finial on the top of the cap, the clip is held in place with a rivet and minor cracking up there is fairly common. When I resac pens of this colour, I usually use a silicone sac only because it's the "off-gassing" from latex sacs that causes the ambering in so many vintage pens. It takes ages for that to happen, but if you can replace the black latex sac, so much the better. BTW many pens of this colour were part of 3 part nurses sets, pen, mechanical pencil and thermometer case.

It says Watermans USA on the barrel so maybe Canadian pens were marked as such? I know nothing. Zero.

What is on top of the cap is a black squishy circle, some kind of rubbery foam material. I just figured something was there and fell off. On the Stalwarts it's a round gold colored piece of metal.

I can believe it was a nurse's pen as it's quite short unposted, about 1/2" longer than a Lady Patricia.

Is resacing something I can attempt on my own or better left to professionals? I did look at 2 youtubes about it. One looked very complicated, the other not so much.

It's not that hard to re-sac a pen, but you should probably practice on something you don't totally LOVE! Look at Richard Binder's site (Richardspens.com) for "how to replace a pen sac" for reliable information. I've just looked at the ivory pearl Stalwart that my husband owns, it's marked made in Canada on the barrel, so I guess the Dauntless was made on both sides of the border. That round bit of metal you're seeing on the Stalwart pen cap is probably the rivet that holds the clip. I imagine as these were wartime pens, and priced reasonably, fancy design extras were out of the question. I have an old Stalwart magazine ad extolling their virtues as Christmas gifts for people serving in the armed forces. They have a "military clip", the pen sits low in a tunic pocket allowing the pocket flap to close down neatly.

Edited by pen lady

• 8 months later...

I believe this is a nurse fountain pen as I have the set - fountain pen and pencil

Might indeed be a nurse (or doctor's) pen.

But those were no model in itself.

Ideally the nurse set would also have an holder for a thermometer.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~