The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Sheaffer And How To Pull Section ?

sheaffer section

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aredfalcon

Aredfalcon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:22

I picked up this old sheaffer today for 10 bucks.? needs a bit of work .. What sheaffer is this and year? on does section 3 "C" unscrew in order to place a new sac in it ?

if so what is the best way to get it unscrewed? IT'S SUPER tight.. do I soak it and unscrew it ? 

sheaffer%2B01%2B%25281%2529.JPG

sheaffer%2B01%2B%25282%2529.JPG

Edited by Aredfalcon, 27 June 2015 - 08:23.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:51

Your pen is a Sheaffer Balance.

First, you need to put the feed back into the pen.  Trying to remove a section with nib and feed out can lead to a crushed section because there is nothing in the middle to support the  section as you grip it.

Soaking will not do anything for you, except perhaps to get water up inside the barrel which will cause the pressure bar to rust.  The reason is that water won't go where it needs to (between barrel and section), and what is most likely holding the section in the barrel is not water soluble.

The section is a slip fit.  You will need section pliers and a heat source to get the section out.  These were often secured with some shellac put on the section before being inserted into the barrel.  Shellac softens with heat.  Warm gently,It wiggle slightly,  try to turn the section to loosen.  It is possible to heat the barrel to the point where instead of the section loosening, you soften the celluloid instead and shear off the barrel if you get too aggressive.

Take a moment and read my articles on tools and seeing with your fingers.    I also recommend reading Richard Binders site for tips on repairs, and if you intend to do more, buying a copy of the Marshall and Oldfield book on pen repair. 

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 Aredfalcon

Aredfalcon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2015 - 18:53

Ron I can't thank you enough for all your help and all of the knowledge that you provided I really appreciate your time and that it took to type that thank you so much and I will looking at all your recommendations and putting me put down a good path of not cracking it !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, section

Sponsored Content

|