Pen For Infrequent Use?

Garageboy

So I'm not a writer and I don't journal- so my pens only see occasional use. As much as I like my vintage pen collection, a lot of them hard start after a few days of not being used. Other than the parker 51, what other pens work well in this situation?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Garageboy

• uemuraw

• Sergio 46

• Frank C

Platinum ~#3776 or Platinum Preppy.

They come with a slip & seal mechanism which seems to stop the pen drying out for a while.

Ever think of getting a few pen pals? Mayor some significant event Journaling to start. Or just doodle.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Pilot Varsity -- they write first time, every time even when not used for years. Many colors and $2 each can not be beat.

Pilot Varsity -- they write first time, every time even when not used for years. Many colors and $2 each can not be beat.

Precisely!

I also recommend Platinum #3776 and Sailor pens. They stay wet for months.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

Pilot Metropolitan, Pilot CH 912, Indian Ebonite eyedropper pens, eyedroppers in general ...

Again for the Pilot Varsity. I occasionally want to mark up documents using red or green. Colours that I very rarely use, so I bought some samples and refilled the Varistys, and they've been doing well.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

My Pelikan m200 from the late 90's can sit for a couple of weeks and all I have to do it open it, and start writing. No problems.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Get an old rubber sponge holder for stamps. Keep it wet, one dip and you are ready to go. I use to often have 15-17 pens inked so some saw little use....We still have lick on stamps here in Germany so they are easy to find.

A shot glass filled 1/3 will do too.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have a Kaweco AL Sport which I inked up two months ago and use maybe every other week and it starts up immediately every time.

Another vote for the Platinum 3776 Century. My favorite pen, but even if I leave it to sit for a while the slip and seal cap REALLY works.

I'd also go with the Platinum Century 3776. Perhaps either the Bourgogne or Chartres...cause they can rest for long periods and not dry, cause they are a great value via eBay vendors, cause they write very well and cause...well, they're just really really pretty!

I agree with the suggestions above. I've also had good luck with my Pelikans, everything from an M200 to an M1000.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

The pens with screw-on caps typically start writing immediately.

Platinum and Pilot pens have been outstanding workhorse pens. The slip & seal mechanism in the Platinum #3776 is designed for the purpose you describe.

Buzz

Platinum ~#3776 or Platinum Preppy.

They come with a slip & seal mechanism which seems to stop the pen drying out for a while.

All thought and discernment stops at the 3776

Just a wealth of practical knowledge, guys. Pretty cool.

In my limited experience, I've been impressed the most with how well a Platinum Preppy or a Platinum Plaisir stay wet.

I can echo the sentiment on Pilot Varsity pens. I have a buddy who has a them all over his office. You can always just pick one up and they start writing. There's no telling how long some of them may have been sitting around.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

Get an old rubber sponge holder for stamps. Keep it wet, one dip and you are ready to go. I use to often have 15-17 pens inked so some saw little use....We still have lick on stamps here in Germany so they are easy to find.

A shot glass filled 1/3 will do too.

A dirty little secret: I usually have a cup of coffee on the desk in the morning when I'm writing, so sometimes with a hard starting pen, I take a deep breath, then a sip of coffee. Then a quick dip of the pen in the coffee and a quick wipe on my ink cloth. That usually does the trick.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

A dirty little secret: I usually have a cup of coffee on the desk in the morning when I'm writing, so sometimes with a hard starting pen, I take a deep breath, then a sip of coffee. Then a quick dip of the pen in the coffee and a quick wipe on my ink cloth. That usually does the trick.

You are hereby crowned as the King of all us FP Crazies...

:-)

A lifelong FP user...

I not sure how a "deep breath" helps, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.